Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best guns for open carry

Boolit Buddy
    The one that you will not miss if it' needs to be used and is held in the evidence lockup until permanently lost. Probably my Glock 22.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    Although I am the one that appears ignorant to most I read you post and will answer what makes a good open carry firearm INSTEAD of my opinion on OPEN CARRY.
    I carry a Glock M30 probably 85 to 95 percent of the time. I still like the 1911 most of all but still carry a Glock.
    Now I realize why I am looked at the way I am.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The one you can keep concealed.....
    I agree. Though, if everyone were carrying, open carry would not leave you the only person visibly armed, and that would be great! And there will be pie in the sky bye and bye...

I'll believe open carry is the way to go when New York and California become open carry states. I.e., not in my freaking lifetime, probably. Here in Oklahoma, at least as long as I've lived here, you could open carry legally on your own property. My next-door neighbor's son carried religiously while he was maintaining his mom's lawn. I guess he was terrified of gophers.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Although I am the one that appears ignorant to most I read you post and will answer what makes a good open carry firearm INSTEAD of my opinion on OPEN CARRY.
    I carry a Glock M30 probably 85 to 95 percent of the time. I still like the 1911 most of all but still carry a Glock.
    Now I realize why I am looked at the way I am.
    Kind of tough to recommend a good option when you don't think open carry is a good option for most SD against bad guys. If it's not in a good retention holster with manual safeties to prevent nothing more than a trigger pull to fire it that makes it not a good option of open carry IMHO.

I know three LE that have been disarmed. My LE Bother-in-law was shot in the back when two felons wanted his duty revolver. One faked a heart attack. When the BIL rendered aid the other one shot him in the back. I don't remember if it was a 32 or a 25. He had been shot with both. It didn't work as planned. The one that shot him didn't make it. The BIL was black ops in Nam before we had people there. He was shot once in Nam and once before the back shooting. He was working in Watts at the time.

Seen to many video's of open carry holders having their firearm taken. When you are in a crowd you can't watch 360 degrees. When you are out in the open hunting or roaming your own property open carry is a nice option.

A good friend was a ranked mixed martial artist and a high level black belt. Two guys tried to rob him and his girlfriend. One had a knife and one had a revolver. One ended up with a broken arm and the other a broken knee and both arrested.

My current open carry is a FN FNX 45 in 460 Rowland. It's for bear protection.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-13-2022 at 07:07 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

farmbif, what state are you in?

Boolit Master

We are an open carry state. I only open carry when hunting and then I usually carry a Super Blackhawk 44mag.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

We have Constitutional carry here also. Only time I open carry is going to my mailbox a out 3/4 out to main road and if I am at the mailbox and need to run into our lil town real quick. Otherwise it is concealed. My open is usually my M&P 45C in a leather holster with thumb break.

Boolit Master
    I'm in TN now, but this got brought up yesterday, Denise has family in Georgia and she was saying how now she needs another new pink gun. anyway points well made about open carry. probably best to tuck a compact sig or ruger in pocket or inside belt holster. makes me think back of when Tennessee passed the law and a bunch of us were sitting at a local lunch counter and some guy came riding up on a big hog cruiser with what probably was a 7.5" super Redhawk on his belt and everyone was kind of looking at the guy kind of oddly.

Boolit Master

I know a couple of 15 year old jitterbuggers who would salivate at the sight of you carrying a gun openly. One would distract you and the other one would bash you in the head with a brick. In about 7.5 seconds, they would have your gun, wallet and gold teeth. In more sedate neighborhoods, open carry scares the soccer moms, gives ammo to the gun grabbers and labels you as a white nationalist or domestic terrorist. Keep it covered.

farmbif,

If you’re wearing the “standard farmer uniform” of bib-overalls, shirt and ball cap you likely won’t have a belt on.��

You might consider pocket carry (concealed), and bibs front pockets are roomy enough to allow for up to a mid-sized frame revolver (thinking K-frame round butt S&W Model 12 Airweight).

But that would require you to remove the standard farmer pocket stuff from a front pocket to one of the bib pockets. You might find that inconvenient.

If you are really set on open carry, G-22 is pretty mainstream these days from what I’ve read. Common gun for the police everywhere. I was issued one before.

But you may have to change your style of clothes and….get a belt.

I’m just funnin’ you. Much respect to our nation’s farmers.

Something to think about….Carry open if you like, just because it is legal, and remember to leave it in the truck at the post office, federal building, liquor store, church…..wherever your state has restrictions on concealed carry likely also apply to open carry. Now you have to think about all that stuff.

And people WILL STARE at you and shy away at first. Get ready for that.

I am with the other guys on here about concealed being better, generally. It sure brings less attention to you and saves the PD and SO and the random nearby trooper monitoring the local radio channels from responding to an alarmed citizen’s “man-with-a-gun” calls to check you out.

If your state is enacting Constitutional Carry soon or did recently there will be a LOT of citizens who didn’t get the memo about it being legal and will call the police/sheriff or maybe even question or admonish you in person for open-carry. Be ready to have officers stop to speak with you. Know your rights, don’t be offended.

Alarmed citizen in the grocery store: “Why do you need to open-carry?”
    Your answer could be “Because a cop is too heavy.”

Not making the above scenarios up.

I’m not giving advice, just sharing some professional life experience to help you make a good (for you) decision. I support you in carrying.

You may save your or someone else’s life. Or you may be targeted by thieves who see what you have and want to take it.

Study up on your state laws on use of force inside and outside your home. Be smart and keep your head up and be alert.

Good luck.
    Last edited by John in WYO; 04-13-2022 at 10:39 PM.

Concealed, Open, and Constitutional in Texas…….

I choose to carry ‘concealed’. Glock 26. The target should be the offender, not me.

However, if I were to choose to open carry, same G26 in a Safariland Paddle ALS. Very secure.

Boolit Master
    John, winters over its been starting to warm up, tee shirts are optional

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    John, winters over its been starting to warm up, tee shirts are optional
    farmbif,

22 degrees and snowing off and on today.
    Winter is here until middle of May.
    Starts mid October.�

John

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Pocket carry is not ready accessible when seated and belted in a vehicle. My "pocket" holsters, whether Bob Mika or El Paso Pocket Max, have two 1/8" holes across the top, with brass grommets inserted so that a length of paracord can be threaded and knotted to make an improvised shoulder holster draped diagonally across the neck and armpit, being worn under a shirt. Optionally another grommet can be inserted at the bottom corner to permit using a snubber to secure it to a belt.

Wrap paracord around the holster for pocket carry or take out and unwind to reposition as needed. Old school method shown to me by a former DEA UC.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I like the clinger style holsters for pocket carry, actually I use one for an IWBC also. Super simple and nice to take out when you get in a vehicle.
    I purchased one for a buddy that has his bibs on all year - fits like a dream in the front pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I only own 1 handgun, a RIA 1911A1. I don't always carry openly, but carry on the front of my waist when I do. Not quite a 'crossdraw' style, but close enough. A person would have to be directly in front of me to take it. As such, having it in front of me, drawing it is easier to do than a traditional IWB or hip holster.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

For seated the 6 pocket cargo pants are great.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    As long as I have had a carry permit which has been "quite" a while Tennessee has never had "concealed" carry permit. It has been a "carry" permit. One could carry in the open BEFORE constitutional carry began and some people have done so and still does. I saw a guy at Bass Pro not long ago doing the open carry thing. I will still get my "permit" again when mine expires so I will have it when I go to a state that "RECOGNIZES" Tennessee's permit but doesn't allow Constitutional carry in the state I'm in at the time. I'm funny that way.
    Oh, I don't open carry unless I am going to the mailbox but the pros and cons of open carry wasn't the question asked but thought I would throw that into the basket of opinions that have formed on open verses concealed carry

Boolit Master
    Like many others, I think open carry is inadvisable from a tactical standpoint. The "open carry" proviso would enable the wearer more latitude in the inevitable "concealment vs. caliber/magazine capacity" compromise, so GO BIG! If I was going to buy a pistol for defense against "two-legged feral animals", to be carried in a visible holster only, I'D consider a Tanfoglio Witness in .38 Super.
    The pistol is a little heavy, but about the size of a 1911A1, holds 17+1 rounds, delivers significantly better ballistics than the wonder-nines, and enables the wearer to dispose of over 50 rounds while carrying only 2 extra magazines.
    The same model in 10 mm might be more suited to locales where encounters with bear are a likelihood.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

If I was to go open carry then size wouldnt be as big as a factor effectiveness would be it.Being in a wheel chair has some advantages as I dont have to actually carry the weight, batteries and the chair do. With open carry everyone knows what Im working with a 12 ga riot gun loaded with number four buck shot. If your going to make a statement make one

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast