Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Looking for a locking system.

Boolit Master

Looking for a locking system.

My daughter lives in a pretty large college town and works late at the trauma center there. So naturally, she carries full time (except into the hospital, the security guards lock her weapon for her when she enters the building). She has roommates and does not live in the greatest part of town. My question is: would people please share their experiences with small lock boxes / safes? As well as a system to secure it temporarily.
    I have a Liberty fingerprint safe with a cable type lock down - anyone have an opinion on that idea in a rented type situation?
    Most definitely interested in;
    1) keeping the firearm readily accessible to her.
    2) keeping it secure when she is not able to be carrying or at home.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The problem with all safes that work for renters/apartments is that they are easy to take. Your Liberty fingerprint safe for example, can be stolen in 3 seconds with bolt cutters. Even without them, whatever it is attached to can probably be ripped off pretty easy. The best thing I know of is a gun cabinet, and lag bolted to the studs and floor. Don't tell the landlord, and accept what they charge for holes when you leave. It's still fairly easy to steal, but it wont be quiet, and someone tooling down the hall with a full size gun cabinet rattling wont be missed.

Also, renters insurance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The problem with all safes that work for renters/apartments is that they are easy to take. Your Liberty fingerprint safe for example, can be stolen in 3 seconds with bolt cutters. Even without them, whatever it is attached to can probably be ripped off pretty easy. The best thing I know of is a gun cabinet, and lag bolted to the studs and floor. Don't tell the landlord, and accept what they charge for holes when you leave. It's still fairly easy to steal, but it wont be quiet, and someone tooling down the hall with a full size gun cabinet rattling wont be missed.

Also, renters insurance.
    I appreciate the input, insurance is done. I'm looking for a viable one gun safe that will do basically exactly what you are saying. Lag bolt it to the studs or joists, ask forgiveness rather than permission.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't give a recommendation there, although I'd consider a regular size gun cabinet. Mine is a Sports Afield made in USA 18 gun cabinet. I have no problems with it other than it is too short for my Ithaca Mag-10 and 42" barrel muzzleloader.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quick access is far more important than how secure the safe is.

Your daughter is irreplaceable....

Good for you for taking care of her.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Hornady advertises/lists several handgun-sized safes which -- to my eyes -- appear to be directed to the happy-home-perhaps-with-children-? market. Keeping unwanted persons from opening the "box" and taking the firearm is addressed. However, as suggested in an earlier reply, above, taking the box (aka "safe") is not. However, I'd suggest a couple of holes might be drilled in such a case with aircraft cable, said holes large enough for the aircraft cable. Assuming she has a steel/iron bed frame, I'd suggest possibility of running a couple of loops of, say, 3/16" cable (Tractor Supply sells it by the foot) out one hole; around bed frame iron; and back into box -- might make it too much work/effort for it to be breached.
    Another, albeit "riskier" approach would be to buy TWO safes. Keep one easily found, open, with a magazine or two and some ammo ONLY in it. The second, in a secure location, housing the real McCoy. (I knew of a young lady, Joyce, who did this exact "security" method -- which worked for her!) The thought is a perp finds the open safe with only the (extra) mags and a few rounds in it ASSUMES the firearm is not on premises and leaves without further search.
    BEST!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

If she carries all the time then the only time the gun is not on her is at home, right? If thatvis the case I would not lock it in any type safe, etc as they only cause a delay in retrieval. Doesn't sound like kids are around so that is not an issue. She might be better off with one of those concealed shells or concealed furniture so she could access it quickly if needed. Good luck. I wish my daughter would carry especially living in Philly but she thinks Daddy is just a gun nut and voted for Bozoo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Room mates pose an issue. Regardless of how good they are, whatever they do is beyond your daughter's control. A safe would be my answer. Lots of different kinds: those concealed in niffy looking furniture, those w/ finger pad entry, cheaper full sized gun cabinets (which, by the way can be made into duel purpose w/ internal shelves built for ?books?filing units?other valuables?etc. in addition to securing a gun). Even to the point of installing a concealed / secure box between the studs of the wall behind a mirror/picture etc. One party w/ strangers / children in the house could make any effort worthwhile. A few hundred bucks now beats an injury or lost liability suit later.

Boolit Master
    I should have been more transparent; I flew down because she needed emergency surgery on Monday morning. After assessing her recovery time, we decided she would come home for a week or two. I realised that she doesn't have any place truly secure (other than her security guards at work and LEO buddies from the hospital), so brought her pistol with us rather than risk a misread of her roomies or the revolving door of friends that visited her while in the hospital. She does carry as often as possible, but there are places where she cannot (bars, swimming, etc.). It's for those times that I am concerned about.
    It looks like either the Hornady or Liberty small safes can be lagged from the inside. No - that's not a fo-sho solution, but it will cut down on the smash and grab or innocently curious or lazy thief issues.

Boolit Master

If it's while she is home, then hiding may be a better choice IMO.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ?u=http%u00253A%u00252F%u00252Fwww.gunsafetips.com%u00252Fwp-content%u00252Fuploads%u00252F2018%.jpg  
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    Omega ~ that is brilliant

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-Han...35878158&psc=1

This is what i use, very quick to get into, bolts to floor, no electronics (the link says it is electronic) USA made is a bonus also

If you want the best answer.
    Keep it on her person.
    Anything less and she might as well not have it.

Excuse me, Mr. Attacker while I retrieve my firearm just does not cut it.
    Of course, that is just my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

Lag bolt a hasp to a large dresser or bed frame and put a cable lock through it. Good to defend smash and grab. Nothing small or convenient will defend against tools and time.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    You show pics of hiding places. You think crooks never see these places?

Boolit Master
    I have made up several magnetic holsters that are strategically placed under end tables, under box spring set, cut out big MSC catalogue on book shelf with all the other books, etc.. Hidden in plain sight kind of thing but accessible pretty quick worst case. I can go buy another pistol really urinated off, I can't go buy my two daughters again!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Winchester makes a small box, electronic code and rfid chip for speedy access. Regular duracells AA are going on 3 years of use. Timber lok fasteners thru carpet into a floor joist. Carpet hides holes decently when removed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Room mates pose an issue. Regardless of how good they are, whatever they do is beyond your daughter's control. A safe would be my answer. Lots of different kinds: those concealed in niffy looking furniture, those w/ finger pad entry, cheaper full sized gun cabinets (which, by the way can be made into duel purpose w/ internal shelves built for ?books?filing units?other valuables?etc. in addition to securing a gun). Even to the point of installing a concealed / secure box between the studs of the wall behind a mirror/picture etc. One party w/ strangers / children in the house could make any effort worthwhile. A few hundred bucks now beats an injury or lost liability suit later.
    That!
    The hide-in-plain-sight with no locking feature just makes it easier for roomies/guests to get their hands on it after a bad breakup or two many drinks. I'd have to have a LOT of confidence in them before I'd go that route.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Before you make a choice, you need to consider and balance accessibility with security. A pistol covered in concrete and anchored to the foundation is secure, but not accessible. A pistol laying on the bed is accessible but not secure. You need to determine what level of access is required versus the delay imposed by the requirement to defeat whatever security devices are employed to restrict access.

There are a bunch of hidden-in-plain-sight possibilities; my personal choice for her application would be a locking, hidden-shelf type application. A small shelf, mounted on the wall with a couple of family photos on top might easily pass scrutiny and conceal her weapon from prying eyes while still allowing reasonably access.

Another possibility that comes to mind: A few years back there was a company selling a pseudo-power panel box that mounted in the wall. Right now there is a company that makes a false heating duct that serves the same purpose. Neither are as strong as a real safe, and each would require installation, but a casual thief would not likely notice them, and the faux-power panel had a lock. One of those in a closet, with a Danger! High Voltage warning label might be just about ideal.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.