RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The NEW Jerusalem

Boolit Master

The NEW Jerusalem

According to John in the book of revelation he see a New Jerusalem coming down from heaven. It's dimensions are 1500 miles or what ever the term is, a cube that is where all believers will live. Is this all there is, just a place to live? Will there be parks, mountains to climb, places to fish, or anything else? I just have a hard time thinking we'll just be sitting around playing harps and singing praises.

Boolit Master

The description of the new earth in Revelations is symbolic and not meant to be taken literally (much the same way Jesus' depictions of hell are symbolic).

There is no way the redeemed will spend all their time sitting around singing praises. It would be unfulfilling and a waste of our time and potential. We will have lives to live and things to do. God will not give his people an eternity of boredom. He is not like that.

Boolit Master

The New Jerusalem is going to be a real place and Hell is now a real place. You will have the mind of Christ and will not be concerned with the things you did on earth before the Rapture. I take the King James Bible literally just like any other Technical Manual. Your mileage may differ.

Boolit Master
    No one will be bored with the new heaven on earth.

The present "heaven" (Paradise) is a spiritual place where the disembodied spirits/souls of God's people are enjoying a spiritual life but it is not our final literal heaven on earth. The present "hell" (Hades) is a spiritual place where the disembodied spirits/souls of the lost are not enjoying any part of their existence but it is not the literal Lake of Fire hell. Both the saved and lost will eventually have eternal living bodies either on the heaven of a remade earth or the of Lake of Fire hell. Neither group will be bored.

God gave me a love for music and a very musical wife mate. But he did not give me any talent for playing music and I don't believe he will jam being a musician on me in the afterlife. The childish paintings we see of sweet adult female angels and little child angels flitting around on clouds while playing harps comes from Roman Catholic myths starting around 1000 AD; those paintings are pretty but they have no foundation in scripture.

I don't know if the eternal Jerusalem will be a 1,500 hundred mile square block or a pyramid. Either way, it will certainly make for a big city but I'm a country boy and I hope I won't have to spend a lot of eternal time in a city that big.

We are of earth, Jesus made spiritual angels in a spiritual heaven and made men from the dust of the earth. Thus, earth is our home. This is where we belong, not standing on the wispy edges of clouds; how angels live is meaningless to us. We are human, we are not and never will be angels. I believe our eternity with God in the final heaven on earth will fulfil every desire of our (adjusted) hearts. Biblically, we don't/can't know much about what we or our life in heaven will be like but we will be like Jesus the son-of-man, i.e., we'll be like the physical Lamb of God, aka, Jesus. (1 Jn 3:2)

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Boolit Master

If "heaven" is anything like a church service, prolonged singing sessions and being held captive while a preacher drones on, you can count me out. I'll take the alternative which I firmly believe the Bible teaches to be annihilation.

This is serious stuff folks, not to be looked at like an SAT test; where you pencil whip it then put your head on your desk for a 45 min nap! You need to have the right answers. Scripture tells us “faith comes from hearing the word of God” and faith is going to get you a long way down the road of accepting what you cant see.

I’d be a little Leary of anyone’s teaching who basis they’re whole opinion of Heaven on what they see or like here on earth.
    You still have the liberty to pick up a bible and read it. And the liberty to seek out Christian believers to fellowship with who can help you and provide some understanding.

You can always pray as well; that the Lord will open your understanding and provide you with these resources. Going back to the beginning, “this ain’t no SAT, get it right”!

Boolit Master

Many good answers here! "Eternity" in Heaven will be perceived as Christ perceives- (thousand years like a day and day is like a thousand years). We will forever be fulfilled and educated. As DannyD said, we won't be concerned with anything we were concerned with on this Earth, nor will we have any memories of it. In Revelations it clearly describes the details of Heaven and how the Earth will be cleansed with fire to make a place for the New Jerusalem. I often ponder on trying to work on "detaching" myself from worldly things and practices, and try to hone my "spiritual" concepts. Of course the only way to do that is to stay in touch with the "Big guy", read the scriptures and hang out with other believers.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Many good answers here! "Eternity" in Heaven will be perceived as Christ perceives- (thousand years like a day and day is like a thousand years). We will forever be fulfilled and educated. As DannyD said, we won't be concerned with anything we were concerned with on this Earth, nor will we have any memories of it. In Revelations it clearly describes the details of Heaven and how the Earth will be cleansed with fire to make a place for the New Jerusalem. I often ponder on trying to work on "detaching" myself from worldly things and practices, and try to hone my "spiritual" concepts. Of course the only way to do that is to stay in touch with the "Big guy", read the scriptures and hang out with other believers.
    Where in the world did you get the idea we will have no memory of our time on earth? Our time on earth shows us the consequences of sin and its memory will keep us from repeating the same mistakes.

Our concerns in heaven may not be the same as they are here on earth, but we will have concerns, responsibilities and challenges in our lives. God will not do everything for us. He never has and he never will.

Boolit Master
    I look at it this way. the Bible was written by men years or decades or even hundreds of years after events happened in some cases and stories in the different written bibles.
    many of these stories and prophecies passed down verbally for generations before written down.
    so as humans we will will only truly know gods plan as it happens and we witness the events and for now can only just have faith that what is written will come to pass in gods plan and the time for that plan as god desires we are only just here as his will has granted us. we are only just little humans on this little planet in gods infinite universe.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by augercreek View Post
    According to John in the book of revelation he see a New Jerusalem coming down from heaven. It's dimensions are 1500 miles or what ever the term is, a cube that is where all believers will live. Is this all there is, just a place to live? Will there be parks, mountains to climb, places to fish, or anything else? I just have a hard time thinking we'll just be sitting around playing harps and singing praises.
    doesn't matter what it is or looks like, if the Lord is there that's where we would want to be. noone would chose hell over that

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I look at it this way. the Bible was written by men years or decades or even hundreds of years after events happened in some cases and stories in the different written bibles.
    many of these stories and prophecies passed down verbally for generations before written down.
    so as humans we will will only truly know gods plan as it happens and we witness the events and for now can only just have faith that what is written will come to pass in gods plan and the time for that plan as god desires we are only just here as his will has granted us. we are only just little humans on this little planet in gods infinite universe.
    of course it was written by men, but they were inspired by God. some actually were there and witnessed first hand what they wrote. be thankful for what we have and having it preserved all these years for us to be able to know and understand who God is.

Boolit Master

That's why being a old sailor is great, and yes if you met me in person you would definitely know I was a sailor. That being said one day I happened to stumble on Psalm 107 in the KJB and it describes the traveling on the boat perfectly. So that's when I started taking it literally because whoever wrote that Psalm did it before people started crossing the great oceans a lot and taking into account that even if it was just wrote by man in 1611. The good news is we will all find out one day and if it's is three score and ten them I am getting close.

Boolit Master

To put things in perspective: The scriptures were written by man but inspired by God. Sheds a little different light on things.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Revelation tells us that a new heaven and a new earth will come down. The present eath will melt in feverent heat.
    There is no Bible for this but I believe the new earth will be much like the Garden of Eden. One where there was no sin and God enjoyed walking in the cool of the evening with man.
    I believe the Bible is literal.
    Hell is a place of eternal torment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Where in the world did you get the idea we will have no memory of our time on earth? Our time on earth shows us the consequences of sin and its memory will keep us from repeating the same mistakes.

Our concerns in heaven may not be the same as they are here on earth, but we will have concerns, responsibilities and challenges in our lives. God will not do everything for us. He never has and he never will.
    I think I'd want to build new memories, and "Heaven" is not just another 9-5 job, 5 days a week and play golf on the weekends.

Boolit Master
    Does the Bible begin and end the same way? God with man in a garden with the tree of life?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Does the Bible begin and end the same way? God with man in a garden with the tree of life?
    Yes! But I'd never thought of it that way.

We are free men, for now. We can choose to believe what scripture says or believe what some other man says or believe what we say but if we choose to believe wrongly about God's salvation the repercussions will be a living hell.

Heaven will last for eternity and hell's Lake of Fire will burn for eternity; the Bible says that and it doesn't even hint that the lost will be peacefully destroyed.

There will come a time when sad memories of this mortal life will grow dim and fade but I doubt they'll ever go away completely. If we could get to heaven but not remember anything about this life we'd have no idea who that nice guy with scarred hands, feet and back is and what he has done for us; I firmly believe that's something we'll never forget!

I also believe that in heaven we'll recognise and remember the family and other people we know and care for in this life. (I'll cite: "... we will know as we are known" [1 Cor 13:12] and "I, Jacob will be gathered to my fathers." [Gen 49:29])

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Yes! But I'd never thought of it that way.

We are free men, for now. We can choose to believe what scripture says or believe what some other man says or believe what we say but if we choose to believe wrongly about God's salvation the repercussions will be a living hell.

Heaven will last for eternity and hell's Lake of Fire will burn for eternity; the Bible says that and it doesn't even hint that the lost will be peacefully destroyed.

There will come a time when sad memories of this mortal life will grow dim and fade but I doubt they'll ever go away completely. If we could get to heaven but not remember anything about this life we'd have no idea who that nice guy with scarred hands, feet and back is and what he has done for us; I firmly believe that's something we'll never forget!

I also believe that in heaven we'll recognise and remember the family and other people we know and care for in this life. (I'll cite: "... we will know as we are known" [1 Cor 13:12] and "I, Jacob will be gathered to my fathers." [Gen 49:29])
    ^^^Thanks for clarifying that!^^^

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    it doesn't even hint that the lost will be peacefully destroyed.
    It most certainly does if you read it naturally without coloring the passages with what you've been taught your whole life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    It most certainly does if you read it naturally without coloring the passages with what you've been taught your whole life.
    You presume too much; you have no idea of what I've been taught all my life. Nor do you know how old I am so you don't know how long I've been a Christian and you don't know what my personal Bible study has been like.

I can assure you that the Jehovah Witness and a few others have the idea of a temporary hell wrong. The Lake of Fire hell will be the eternal flip side of heaven. Some resurrected folk will have eternal joy in heaven so others will logically have some measure of eternal discomfort and misery in hell. There will be no purgatory, no short term annihilation, nor any other easy way out; as long as heaven lasts so will hell.

If it makes anyone feel easier, everyone should know that the Lake of Fire will not be as deep in every place as it will be in some places because the eternal punishment for things done in the flesh won't be the same for everyone there. I mean, contrary to what a lot of Biblically ignorant hell-fire preachers shout, the punishments of hell will be eternal but they will NOT not be the same for everyone! God's judgements are just and equal punishment for everyone's life would not be just.

Therefore, while all eternal sentences from the Great White Throne of judgements will still be hell, God will not punish "good" lost people the same as slimy two-legged dispensers of human misery like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Lyndon B. Johnson, etc.; a LOT of people don't realise that. (See 2 Cor 5:10 and Rev 20:12)
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-12-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast