Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morel Mushrooms

Boolit Master

Morel Mushrooms

The grandkids gave us a nice big bag of morels Sunday.
    The grand daughter was reading that it is morel season in this area and started looking in the likely places.
    Well, it seems she had it figured right because they found enough to give her in-laws and us a nice bag each.
    My wife has always dipped them in an egg/milk mixture and dredged them in flour and pan fried them.
    They are delicious that way, but I know there are a lot more great recipes for using morels.
    Let`s hear your favorites.

slice the big thicker ones and dip in milk egg combo roll in a mix of 2parts flower and 1 part white corn mill. fry in lard or bacon grease. iron skillet.
    Best I ever had.
    My grandmaw Welthie's recipe.

We use cracker crumbs instead of flour.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Really enjoy a nice tea made with Psilocybe Cubensis ... the mellow mushroom ... it's Groovy man!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Slice, caramelize in butter(cook very slow, you don't want to burn the butter), when they are almost done add sliced garlic and cook until browned. Add a splash of worchestershire and cook it down to a syrup consistency. Off the heat add more butter and swirl it in to make a sauce. Pour over a steak and pig out!

Boolit Buddy

just dipped in flour, light salt n pepper and fried in butter, but don't burn the butter

Boolit Master
    Battered and fried, but in a really good season, mushroom gravy or sauté in butter then freeze for later.

Boolit Master

A couple three years ago I got so many that I used the official (USDA?) guidelines for canning button mushrooms and canned a bunch of morels. I boiled them first for 5 minutes to blanch, and put them in jars with the boil water and processed in a pressure canner. I've dehydrated and frozen them in the past, but this was the best way to preserve them I've found so far.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Slice, caramelize in butter(cook very slow, you don't want to burn the butter), when they are almost done add sliced garlic and cook until browned. Add a splash of worchestershire and cook it down to a syrup consistency. Off the heat add more butter and swirl it in to make a sauce. Pour over a steak and pig out!
    This perhaps the best sauce for steak & veal chop ever invented.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    This perhaps the best sauce for steak & veal chop ever invented.
    Yup, simple to make but a bit time consuming. I have a TV in the kitchen so just watch something while it cooks down. All the liquid from the mushrooms comes out and then evaporates concentrating the flavor, the worchestershire deglazes the pan then the butter swirled in combines it all into a sauce from heaven!

Boolit Grand Master
    Morels are a 7-10 days away here.
    Heck, they may be here even though it is still cold.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Really enjoy a nice tea made with Psilocybe Cubensis ... the mellow mushroom ... it's Groovy man!
    Gary
    They grow on cowpies down your way right?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

The grandkids sent me a picture of a nice batch they picked yesterday.
    They said they were for us.
    My wife makes killer cream of mushroom soup with chanterelles and commercial mushrooms.
    Why wouldn`t morels make as good or better soup?

Boolit Master

I forage chanterelles here every summer. If we have morels here, I don't know about it. I would chase them if I knew where to look. I've read about how delicious they are.

Boolit Master

With the weather we’ve been having they are a good two weeks to a month away, it’s snowing right now. Wife and I over 40 years have tried many different recipes but the way you describe, maybe with a bit of cornmeal in your flour is the way we always come back to —- ENJOY!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gary
    BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! Another child of the 60’s & 70’s! I wish you could have bought the growing kits they sell nowadays when I was young……ger, a LOT YOUNGER!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    I like to just dip them in milk, then into a bag or jar with flour and a bit of salt and pepper. Give them a shake for just the lightest coating and fry them.

Seems like every time I do the dip whatever in egg, I tend to overcook it. Since I went to straight milk, no problems.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I start with the sliced garlic just for a min, then add the mushrooms. Deglaze with Worcestershire and a bit of red wine. Add a bit of black pepper if it's going on steak, leave it off if serving as a side.

Will try adding the garlic at the end next time, it just goes against my bias that onions and garlic get added first.

Boolit Master

Y'all are making me hungry!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I start with the sliced garlic just for a min, then add the mushrooms. Deglaze with Worcestershire and a bit of red wine. Add a bit of black pepper if it's going on steak, leave it off if serving as a side.

Will try adding the garlic at the end next time, it just goes against my bias that onions and garlic get added first.
    Garlic at the end means a sharper garlic flavor, at the beginning it mellows it as the mushrooms caramelize. Either way is good. I even eat raw garlic so a sharper more garlic forward recipe is fine for me.

If you are a garlic fiend like I am make your favorite creamy coleslaw but add as much chopped garlic as your taste can stand. Longer it sits the more intense the garlic flavor gets...

Simple creamy slaw

Thin Miracle Whip(Being Minnesotan... yup I use this!) or mayo with a bit of milk, salt and pepper to taste, add some sugar to taste then mix in your slaw veggies. Let stand in the fridge at least 1 hour, 2-3 is better,keeps well refrigerated so I usually make enough for 3 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast