Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: citric acid cleaning question

I guess I was wet tumbling for too long and/or too much lemon juice. Had all types of colors and went back to vibratory for good. That did fix my colored brass, several times.

Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    I guess I was wet tumbling for too long and/or too much lemon juice. Had all types of colors and went back to vibratory for good. That did fix my colored brass, several times.
    I did that on my last batch of range pick up, too much citric acid for too long. Zinc leaching is what I call it. Dry tumbling took care of it.

I usually run my brass with pins and Dawn for 45 minutes to get the initial crud out of the range brass then change water and add the citric acid with Dawn for another 45 minutes. Then, after separating the pins the brass goes into the dryer for a while.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    i got tired of buying new media and cleaning out the flash hole from media when i decided to wet tumble. now, being a cheap basturd, i ain't goin pay over $150 to wet tumble. i went to HF and a dual rock tumbler for $50 and i got some ss pins. i bought lemi-shine and when that's gone, i'm going try citric powder. i have dawn liquid soap for dishes. since i use rifle cartridges 90% of the time, i have a piece of 4" plastic sewer pipe (i used to do water/sewer mains), 4" cap, 1/2" pvc and a 4" plug. i've been doing this for about 5 or 6 years and i broke two rubber belts on the tumbler. i got 20 pcs of rubber belt at $10-15 locally.

now i don't have to clean the flash holes!!!! dumping out the ss pins is better than poking media out!!!

i'll let them tumble for 45 min to a hour and they come out cleaner than the media did. there is no dust and i let them tumble in the house. before, i had to put dry tumbler outside on the porch because it was too noisy and the dust.

HF dual tumbler and 4" pvc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTxBqOwtnA
    Belts where locally? I just broke my last replacement (tumbler is about 6 years old and belts do deteriorate) $3 each from HF and none locally. Would like an easier option

Banned
    your best bet is to go with ebay or amazon.
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 04-22-2022 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Ebay links are NOT Allowed

Boolit Master
    I clean blackpowder cases with a ultrasonic jewellery cleaner + citric acid solution with a tiny dab of dish soap - takes about ten minutes per batch- all the soot and gunk from inside is gone and the primer pockets are like new - not shiney but squeaky clean . If I want shiney I put em in a tumbler on my ball mill with rice grain I impregnated with some Brasso - about a half hour does it . dont do shiney often ..clean is good tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12