WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: citric acid cleaning question

Banned Previous Member: Bunk Theory / DonDiego / Nikonuser

citric acid cleaning question

had some brass laying around, and decided to use dish soap and lemi shine to clean them with.

well things happened and i ended up leaving them in solution for 12 hours...

when i got home and remembered them after work... they had changed color. nice and bright pink, some spots are like a brand new us penny, some are still the original "brass color".

as i was rinsing them, i found an outers 9mm pistol brush wrapped in chore boy in the bottom that i hadnt seen when i started.

As this represents MOSt if not all of my 762x54r brass, im wondering how badly have i bungled the pooch with them?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    They should be fine. You just removed some of the zinc from the surface. However, you shouldn’t make a habit of doing it.

Boolit Master
    LIKe you I had a batch of brass that was left much longer in frozen soap/ lemishine. I saw no affect on the brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Wipe them down with steel wool. If the pink extends into the case it is weakened. If it is only surface you are OK.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    It's OK, a few hours in a tumbler and they should really shine.

Moderator Emeritus

Been there, done that. You are OK. Think I left a steel case in one batch as everything turned black but hat was a long time ago.

i left a few 38 specials in with them,,,hence that jag..

however i had them soaking in plain tap water over night, and something strange happened again.

the parts that were the bright pink of a new US penny... are now either dark green or a light black color

Boolit Master
    have you loaded and tried any of these discolored shells? they might be perfectly good. if they were mine and the only brass I had in that caliber I'd give them a try starting with light loads and if they didn't show signs of distress or cracking put them in a old fashioned tumbler with corn cob and flitz and reload them again. but if I had plenty of brass in that caliber I'd bag em up and put them in the rainy day box.

Boolit Buddy
    I have made this mistake myself. My wife calls them my “rose gold brass”. I have intentionally done some for my mom’s Makarov and it makes them much easier to distinguish from standard 9mm Lugers. I haven’t had any issues with them yet. I recently did it again with some .22lr brass that I’m swaging into .224s. While it was unintentional, I’m interested to see how they turn out.

well i got home tonight, and dumped the plain tap water off, after half an hour of showering and shaving... they had developed beautiful colors..

blues, greens, even some purple. Rather pretty coloring though, im debating as to the 54r, i had been in the process of a bullseye load for 150 fmj and i dont think id be willing to trust them with 8+ grains of BE now..

And my x57 well its an annoyance but i have unused cases. But i was thinking of a round ball load for the caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    12 hours in a strong acid, I wouldn't trust, but citric acid is weak. You will be fine. How many cases? How many reloads on them?

54r, factory load, then lead load, then fmj load

8x57 factory load, then 1 lead load

Boolit Bub

Just a reaction of two or more dissimilar metals introduced to acid !

Boolit Master
    I'll say this again as ive said on other threads about cleaning brass, this is just my opinion but here it goes. sure its nice to have bright shiny brass but its really not necessary. somewhere through the years I think the reloading supply companies realized they could make lots of money selling all sorts of equipment and consumables to clean brass and this has led us shooters to clean brass and make is shine like new way beyond what is really necessary.
    I remember back and just picking up our used brass, wiping it clean and cleaning out the primer pocket was all we did reloading it as many times as possible till it cracked, split or looked like the base was no longer stable. and that ammo was as accurate as any factory ammo you could get. when I really started to shoot a lot and was picking up all the used brass I could at public range I got into throwing it in a tumbler with corn cob and flitz. so yeah, I like clean brass but have no need to go to extremes to make it look like new.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I'll say this again as ive said on other threads about cleaning brass, this is just my opinion but here it goes. sure its nice to have bright shiny brass but its really not necessary. somewhere through the years I think the reloading supply companies realized they could make lots of money selling all sorts of equipment and consumables to clean brass and this has led us shooters to clean brass and make is shine like new way beyond what is really necessary.
    I remember back and just picking up our used brass, wiping it clean and cleaning out the primer pocket was all we did reloading it as many times as possible till it cracked, split or looked like the base was no longer stable. and that ammo was as accurate as any factory ammo you could get. when I really started to shoot a lot and was picking up all the used brass I could at public range I got into throwing it in a tumbler with corn cob and flitz. so yeah, I like clean brass but have no need to go to extremes to make it look like new.
    i try to get the insides cleaned as much as possible. cant really do that well without chemicals.. dont have a tumbler as i dont have the time needed to devote to it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post

i got tired of buying new media and cleaning out the flash hole from media when i decided to wet tumble. now, being a cheap basturd, i ain't goin pay over $150 to wet tumble. i went to HF and a dual rock tumbler for $50 and i got some ss pins. i bought lemi-shine and when that's gone, i'm going try citric powder. i have dawn liquid soap for dishes. since i use rifle cartridges 90% of the time, i have a piece of 4" plastic sewer pipe (i used to do water/sewer mains), 4" cap, 1/2" pvc and a 4" plug. i've been doing this for about 5 or 6 years and i broke two rubber belts on the tumbler. i got 20 pcs of rubber belt at $10-15 locally.

now i don't have to clean the flash holes!!!! dumping out the ss pins is better than poking media out!!!

i'll let them tumble for 45 min to a hour and they come out cleaner than the media did. there is no dust and i let them tumble in the house. before, i had to put dry tumbler outside on the porch because it was too noisy and the dust.

HF dual tumbler and 4" pvc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTxBqOwtnA

Boolit Master
    thanks farmbif: my thoughts exactly

Boolit Master
    farmbif; you nailed it. If rifle brass needs cleaning, I’ll chuck it up in the battery drill chuck and spin it in 0000 steel wool. I don’t shoot auto pistol much and revolver brass stays clean enough for my taste.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Clean brass at least shows you give a hoot. I'll be picky and eliminate the trouble. SS pins and some limi shine + dawn= easy No more than 45 min.
    Last edited by super6; 04-16-2022 at 03:00 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    The only thing I use is generic liquid dish detergent and steel pins. I clean all of my brass before I deprime. I have bought a lot of dirty brass in the past and in the beginning I scratched a die because I did not do a first cleaning. Now it is clean, dry, deprime, clean again (just because I have time on my hands), dry, prime, load, and shoot. And the brass looks fine without me using any kind of citric acid or other aid.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast