Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Levergun .30-30 to .38-55

Boolit Master

The brass on 375 is a bit thicker than the 38-55. The 38-55 pressure is about 30,000 psi and the 375 can be 52,000 so it would probably be best not to shoot the 375 in an older gun. Old black powder barrel are usually .379 groove but I have seen some that were .381. Modern ammo usually has a .377 diameter bullet to work in both new .375 and old .379 barrels. Barrel liners, there is one in .379 with a 1 in 18 twist and two with .375 groove, 14 twist and 18 twist.
    A Douglas barrel blank can run between $250 and over $300 depending on length, plus shipping. They can do a round contour but not octagon. There are a few barrel makers that can do octagon.
    Rebores, old black powder barrel are not very hard and most will cut rifle very well. In 1895 Winchester and Marlin came out with nickel steel barrels for smokeless powder. Some of these barrel are very hard and some not so hard. Never know how well they will turn out with a rebore but I bet that JES is probably good at getting good rifling. I have had a few that didn't look good so ended up installing a liner. If the barrel has rust pits it can be rough on reamers and cutters. I had one that sounded like the cutter was being pulled through gravel.

Your 71 Win 94 is hardly a collector item nor is it likely to ever become one. The action components, being stamped, do not lend to a smooth action or to great longevity. Unless you require a straight wall cartridge to meet fish and game laws, you will be better served to retain the .30 WCF chambering in your rifle. If .38-55 is absolutely your meat, find a 94 or Marlin that is already a .38-55 or at least get a Marlin 336 to re-bore. An original Marlin 1893 in .38-55 in shooting condition can be had for under $1000. The Marlin is a stiffer and more robust action and is easier to work on and maintain. A re-bore Marlin will cost you about 4-500 for the gun and 250 plus shipping for the re-bore. As others have mentioned, a re-barrel will be significantly more expensive.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    you might consider selling the 30-30 and buying a 375 or a 38-55. the commemorative winchesters with 26" barrel are pretty good for shooting. prices are way up across the board. prices are way up but the difference in what a 38-55 or 375 will probably be about the same as what a rebarrel or boring job will cost.
    I was shocked and amazed recently selling an old ugly marlin 30-30 post "83" with safety. I was expecting 300 maybe $350 and it sold for almost $800

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12