WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Levergun .30-30 to .38-55

Boolit Master

Levergun .30-30 to .38-55

I have a 1971 made Winchester Musket in .30-30 that I plan on putting a 28" Douglas Barrel chambered in .38-55 on. What bore would you use, a .375" or a .377" diameter ? What would be the best twest, 12 or 14, shooting a 265 gr bullet.I want to keep the .30-30 barrel.

I know JES does good work. There are not a lot of the muskets so I want to be able to restore and I also want a 28" barrel.
    Last edited by warren5421; 04-11-2022 at 10:35 PM.

Boolit Master

I would recommend you send it to JES and have it rebored to 38/55. I did with my '80's mod 94. I got the three groove option and it shoots great. He uses a .376 or .377, I don't know but I size my boolits .379 and they shoot well. I only spent about 250$ for the conversion. I shipped it from my LGS, got it back in about 2 weeks. Don't know the twist but 250gr PB shoot well.

Not sure what the Douglas will cost, but I cast another vote for JES.
    Have two different friends that used him on their Marlins.

RP
    Last edited by Pereira; 04-12-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Vote #3 for JES, I plan on sending him one made in 1972. I like Douglas barrels but in this case I would not hesitate to re-bore the Winchester and have him re mark it as 38-55 . But, since you want to save the original you might just send JES an email and ask him what twist and bore size to use .

http://www.35caliber.com/
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

JES is the best at what he does.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the Winchester commemorative were chambered in 38-55 and are still reasonably priced. I would leave it as is and look for one of them.
    As for JES I had him rebore a 338 green mountain to 9.3mm for a rolling block project and was very happy with the results.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wwmartin View Post
    Some of the Winchester commemorative were chambered in 38-55 and are still reasonably priced. I would leave it as is and look for one of them.
    As for JES I had him rebore a 338 green mountain to 9.3mm for a rolling block project and was very happy with the results.

Bill
    Most of those are fetchin a grand or better of late.
    Been thinking about adding one myself, just to see how it shoots next to the Marlin Cowboy.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

My Crazy Horse is an excellent shooter. Just picked up a Buffalo Bill Cody unfired (for now) 30-30. I like having the full length 26" barrel and no safety's. I don't know if Winchester made any other 32-40's other than the john Wayne model, or any in 25-35.

Boolit Master

I would keep the rifle as it is and find a junker to make over that way I would not lose money for nothing or personal want.

If you can afford it go for it.

Boolit Master
    I also would say send it to Jesse for 2 reasons. First a fired commemorative is worth no more than its regular model and second if you go the Douglas route you will have way more money tied up in it than its worth. Jes does great quality work fast. I'm trying to get a marlin 336 a from a friend of mine and when I do its going to Jes for a 38-55 rebore.

Boolit Master
    Slightly off topic but why choose 38-55 over the 375 Win? I want to do the same rebore by JES btw but am wondering of the two.

Boolit Master
    Exactly what I've been thinking, so please keep the advice coming, Gentlemen.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

I chose 38-55 for my pre 64 model 94 simply because Winchester beefed up the 94 action for the .375 first and .307 and .356 Winchester cartridges and I didn't want to chance wearing out my gun.

Marlin chambered those three cartridges and their own .308 and .338 cartridges in their 336 with no changes to the action- so who knows if the 94 Winchester will stand the .375?
    It probably would.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Plus, the 38/55 is just such a cool caliber. When you tell people you're shooting a 38/55 they are amazed. At least my friends are ( guess it doesn't take a lot to amaze my friends)

Boolit Grand Master
    Your gun ~ your choice. I would go .38-55 and do it an otherwise beater. Leave a good gun alone. JES is the master and has done a couple I have had my hands on. Good advice (I think) about the beefer actions for the .375 Win vis-a-vis the regular .30-30 Win's. Check out an older thread from "Old Footman" in the hunting area. He shows pictures of a wrecked. .30-30 he took to an almost show piece. JES did the work. Old Footman chambered his in .375, but I happen to know he only shoots .38-55 level cast in it. He is very happy with it.

Boolit Buddy
    You do you. I got a Ted Williams version of the Winchester model 94 for a reasonable price recently. I took it to Bob Hoyt near Gettysburg Pa and he rebored it to 38-55 for me.(I also have a JES rebore and he was wonderful). I guess he did a good job with it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	365BAF12-2F00-4A94-AB4A-E98394BBB869.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	299573 That is a 6 shot group and the lose nut behind the trigger was the reason for the flyer.
    Last edited by fordwannabe; 04-28-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Man
    DO NOT SHOOT 375 Win ammo in a vintage or repro 38-55 gun! Having said that, if you have a modern Marlin or Winchester in 375 Win, you can safely reload and shoot the short case 38-55 with great success. I know because I have been doing it for almost 20 years. I have gone predominantly to Starline 38-55 short cases, because you can't find 375 Win cases. I have slugged the bores on my two Marlin rifles. They are .377 in the groove. I cast my own and size to .379 with gas check. Re7 powder, I won't say how much, but they shoot!! If I get in a pinch and need to shoot a jacketed bullet, I use Hawk, soft copper jacket. They make a .377 220 gr. They aren't cheap but they shoot great, too. Back to the OP's idea, yeah, I have an old Marlin 30-30 beater that I have seriously considered sending to Jes for a rebore to .377 and chop to 18". I believe he can rifle between 15-18 twist. 20 twist will work in 38-55 all the way up to 250 gr.

Boolit Master
    Fascinating that the .38-55 and .375 Winchester share a relationship analogous to the .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Does the .38-55 brass emerge fire-formed well enough to be reloaded in .375 Win. dies? I would expect loading data to be different, but just wondering.

Why yes, thank you for asking. ALL of them, now that you mention it! The examiner told me that if the other voices in my head tell me that I'm doing okay, then I probably AM!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I vote for JES, due to him doing a fantastic job on my Marlin 336, from 30/30 to 38-55. And if you do, he chambers them for short brass, just an FYI. I have 2 more single shots, that can take the longer brass, but I have seen no advantage whatsoever in the long brass, have tried numerous loads, and if anything the short brass shot better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post

Why yes, thank you for asking. ALL of them, now that you mention it! The examiner told me that if the other voices in my head tell me that I'm doing okay, then I probably AM!
    Did they tell you that you were “perfectly normal” too? I passed all mine, but some of the questions they asked made me think that they needed to be getting checked instead of me. My checks have all been job requirements, either hiring or periodic. Gotta love the red tape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast