Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 50-95 Winchester brass help

Boolit Mold

50-95 Winchester brass help

We were at the Tulsa gun Show last week and a buddy of mine just couldn't resist and purchased a Taylor and Sons repo lever action rifle in 50/95 Winchester Express. Does anyone have any brass for this or maybe the knowledge of how to build it from another case? Also any information on bullets and loading data, smokeless and Black powder would really help us also. Thanks in advance. Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    I think Starline makes the brass, or at least did. No idea how long a wait until they run it again if they are out of stock.

Robert

Boolit Master

Hi Bob,
    I've made brass for the 50-95 from 50-90 Sharps brass and 50 Alaskan. The 50-90 you will have to reduce the rim diameter and MAYBE thin the rim as well. do this from the front of the rim, trim to length and full length resize. 50 Alaskan is a bit simpler, the rim is a bit small in diameter but in my rifle (Uberti) it feeds pretty good. Trim to length and full length resize. Bullet wise you will want to stick with 350 grains or less. I use Accurate mold 51-350CL and it carries enough lube for either BP or smokeless. Be sure you slug your bore, most of them seem to run a bit larger than expected. Never exceed your cartridge overall length, 1876's are VERY picky and I promise you they will jamb. Here's a link that may interest you regarding reloading 50-95.

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/in...?topic=52209.0
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 04-12-2022 at 07:29 AM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I think Starline makes the brass, or at least did. No idea how long a wait until they run it again if they are out of stock.

Robert
    Starline has never made 50-95 . I was lucky and persistent enough to come up with a good supply of Jamison 50-95 before they became scarce as hens teeth after Jamison folded up. Buffalo arms sometimes has them, made up from Starline 50-90 - but it does not have the proper headstamp.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Here you go. Its in stock at BACO.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/50-95-wi...f-5095win.html

Boolit Master

For the 1.25 difference from 50-90 brass to the finished 50-95......... I've made plenty and trust me, I'd jump all over that. Let us know how your project works out, the more data the better. Good luck.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Star-line lists 50 Alaskan as available. $1.18 each. Thats the price for 250. I made mine from 50-90. 350 cast over 23gr IMR 4198 for my 1876 Uberti. I was really surprised with the lighter than expected recoil.
    This adventure started with a $26 bid for 80 rounds of Buffalo Arms black power loaded ammunition. Oh well iike odd adventures.
    Bill