Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel replacement......

Boolit Master

Barrel replacement......

SMLE #1 mklll. Severely bubba'd, so no collector value, typically overebore, bobbed from a stuck bullet, and would like to turn it into a shooter that doesn't require so much fiddling. What suggestions would be made?
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Ideally, re-barrel it. Not always so easy with the SMLE, some are on very tight and require a relief cut just in front of the receiver ring to get them off. Otherwise, maybe cut back the barrel, if it would still be a legal length?

DG

Boolit Master
    I always thought it would be cool to have a. 308 groove British, but that could be asking for pressure issues, possibly. Of course, there's also been the prospect of having it bored out to35-303. Too many irons in the fire, and not enough time to strike while the Iran's hot!

.308 L.E.s are an interesting subject. The British chambered some No. 4 rifles in .308 using some extra reinforcement in the stocks, and the Indians made them in the No. 3 pattern, but used a higher quality of steel. There's no reason why you couldn't do it in a regular No. 3 if you downloaded the cartridges. The danger lies in what a future owner might attempt, so I'd advise against it. A skilled machinist with a lathe can re-barrel the L.E. or re-chamber an existing barrel to a number of interesting cartridges. Many wildcat, some later standardized, cartridges were developed for the L.E. based on the .303 British cartridge, especially in Australia. Like I said earlier, they can be a bear to re-barrel.

DG

I had a No.4 and a blank 270 1:10" barrel; Next thing a 303/270 that shoots cast boolits very well!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    I rebarrelled my LE with a H/B no.1 MK 3 target barrel,timed up perfectly. Shoots both J word and cast very well.Used the std. MK 3 front sight,modified a MK 3 rear to fit the H/B profile.

Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Master

30/40 is a good choice.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I always thought it would be cool to have a. 308 groove British, but that could be asking for pressure issues, possibly.!
    A .308"-303 would get my vote. I used .308" barrel blanks to make barrels for my 7.62x39 AK's. Have two .308" blanks in the que for the same treatment right now. I'd use a floating pilot reamer and the proper pilot for a .308" bore and make sure to mark the barrel as such for future owners.

Boolit Master
    Do you ever shoot standard 303 ammo, or would the 308 bore make that a nono?

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Do you ever shoot standard 303 ammo, or would the 308 bore make that a nono?
    For the AK barrels (and a couple AR barrels) in 7.62x39 I shoot both .308" reloads and .310" factory ammo. The study Ruger did with the Mini 14 showed about a 5K psi increase for the .310" bullets so they went with the cheaper and more available .308" blanks to make their barrels. Just bought a case of PPU brass cased boxer primed mainly to get more reloadable brass, but have also been shooting wolf out of them the past 10-12 years. 303 is a little larger depending on who makes it so I have no idea how much the extra .001"-.002" would increase pressure. I haven't bought factory 303 ammo since the 90's, so it wouldn't be an issue for me since I reload all of mine.

Boolit Master
    There is a local barrelmaker who makes new barrels for MkIII Ross rifles......you have the choice of 308 or 312 groove ...he says there is no difference in pressure ,and it gives the option of using greater choice of 308 (jacketed) bullets.

Boolit Master
    Cool! That expands the possibilities for moving forward, though I'll probably get it bored to 35-303, since that would leave more time for other projects. Oh, the curse of attention-deficit-OOH-SHINY!!!

Boolit Master
    ulav8r's mention of 30-40 a good one. Brass can be tough to find for 303 or 30-40 but a decent barrel would be easier stateside. A writer from Precision Shooting magazine built one and it ran well, built up match rifle IIRC.

Boolit Master
    Just be aware.... Getting an Enfield to shoot is more than just replacing the barrel. There's some serious voodoo in those 2-piece stocks.

Sometimes, you just need to sell it and move on.

how about a rhineland 45 acp conversion kit? its an easy screw on barrel with savage jam ring, a snap in magwell adapter and 1911 mags. makes a fun range plinking toy

Boolit Grand Master

Whether it would be dangerous or not would depend on the bullet construction.

I have pressure tested bullets of .307 up through .312 in a .308W with a .308 groove dimeter barrel. Cast bullets and cup (brass jacket) and core bullets there was a little pressure increase but not enough to be concerned. Same with cast bullets. The bullet is swaged down to fit the .308 bore in the first bearing length of bullet travel. After that the bullets were defacto .308 bullets and no further increase in pressure occurred. Soft steel jacketed milsurp bullets also posed little meaningful increase in pressure.

However, any copper jacketed bullet with a steel penetrator (armor piercing) raised pressures significantly if they were larger than .309. Soft steel jacketed bullets with a penetrator raising pressures into "proof" level.

I've no qualms shooting cub and core .310/.311 bullets in any .308 barrel with the caveat the load must always be worked up to.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Be careful not to go down an expensive rabbit hole. Maybe it would be best to invest in something that’s a known good shooter and hasn’t been Bubaed.

No style points for doing it the easy way.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I have rebuilt a couple of 'trotline sinker' grade Lee Enfields, and it can be a stress-inducing project to get them to group even reasonably well. There is info available on how to properly bed the Lee Enfield rifles online, although you may have to search for it a while. Unless I had a 'spare' barrel (or blank, and a lathe) collecting dust, I can think of far more enjoyable projects. But, that's just me.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    There is a gent by the name of Brian Dick who does barrels on enfields. you'll have to google him as I don't have a web site address. He's been busy lately rebarreling a lot of the enfields that have been sold by Royal Tiger Imports. Seems folks with more money have been buying the junkers as sold by RTI and sending him their stuff to get reworked. Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast