MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: DIY Spinning Handle for LEE APP Press

DIY Spinning Handle for LEE APP Press

I absolutely delight in my Lee APP press (he said, redundantly). Fastest way to decap and/or swage the factory primer crimp evah! Sizes cast boolits too, with the correct sizing die.

Thousands of cycles with the factory stationary plastic handle is a bit wearing on the palm, however.

Lee sells an accessory spinning handle ($23 at Midway, plus tax) that replaces the factory stationary plastic handle...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee APP Factory Spinning handle accessory.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	298847

...but I thought I'd try making my own, seeing as I had a spare supply of 1-1/4" wood closet rod hanging about.

Name:	Bearing handle IMG_1845.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	298848

Parts:
    -- One piece of 1-1/4" wood dowel, 3-7/8" long

-- Two 5/16" ID x 1/2" OD x 7/16" wide needle bearings from Amazon. $7
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- One 5/16-18 x 4-1/2" hex bolt (hacksaw a slot into the head for a screwdriver to fit): $1.50

-- One 5/16-18 flanged jam nut, and two thin 5/16" washers: $1.25

Workflow:
    Cut the 1-1/4" wood dowel 3-7/8" long.

Center a 1/2" Forshner bit on one end, sink a hole about 3/8" deep. This lets the bearing protrude from the handle some.

Center a 5/8" Forshner bit on the outside end and drill deep enough to allow the bolt head to countersink into the wood.

Center a 1/2" Forshner bit in that 5/8" hole and drill 7/16" deeper to hold the outside bearing.

Finally, drill an oversized 5/16" hole all the way through the dowel, half from one end, half from the other, centering the bit in the Forshner countersinks you previously cut. This whole operation would be a lot easier if you used a lathe to form the handle and center the holes, but I made do with a drill press. The oversized through-hole allows the 5/16 bolt to slip through easier and a little internal clearance helps. Obviously, you want only the internal races of the bearings touching the stationary bolt, no wood.

Clamp the original steel yoke together to align the two metal straps. Remove the old plastic handle and, using an "F" size bit, drill and tap a 5/16-18 thread through the two steel yoke handles.

Press the bearings into the dowel, put a thin washer under the bolt head, push the bolt through both bearings, and another washer, then, using the slot you hacksawed into the bolt head and a flathead screwdriver, screw the bolt into the threaded yoke straps until it's snug but allows free spinning on the bearings.

Screw the jam nut on the outside to lock the bolt to the yoke. I varnished the dowel with several coats, so it's smooth and resists dirt.

Works like a charm during hundreds of cycles as I deprime and swage. Total cost about $10. You may have most of the parts on hand already.

See video and bearing review at Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer...SIN=B07V6TWLGR

All that said, you could probably build this without the needle bearings and just let the wood slip against the bolt or a piece of 5/16-18 all-thread and a few washers and a couple of nuts. But the bearings make it glassy smooth to operate.
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 04-10-2022 at 05:42 PM.

Boolit Master

nice job

I always like to make stuff myself vs buying it already made
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I like the fact that the Lee parts aren't reversed and keeps the handle out of the way of any feeders. May have to make one myself....maybe even 3d print one, since I don't necessarily need a wood version....but it'd take a long print since I'd not want less than solid for that application....too much use. Red even. I like the bearing idea.

Only thing I wonder about is the Lee arms. Wondering if you notice any stress or give to bending since the force is away from center, and the arms aren't exactly the the strongest.

Boolit Buddy
    I did 3D print the parts for a handle as I didn't like the ones I found on thingiverse - they were all too fat. Designed plugs for a piece of 1" copper pipe. Skateboard bearings make it work smoothly. Couldn't find the right length bolt so used all thread with one nut red-Loctited.

Happy to share DesignSpark rsdoc file and/or stl file with anyone who PM's me their email address.

Name:	Roller Handle Pic.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	300139