Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1866 Uberti Yellowboy all over the place

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    pworley1, many of the older Henry's had micro-groove rifling.
    Read the OP post it is an Uberti not Henry

Boolit Mold
    Count your lands and grooves and post the number of each
    6 grooves, 6 lands.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I bought a 92 Rossi several years ago from a guy who was having similar problems. He was shooting CAS using factory loads with 250 gr lead bullets and said they shot all over the target. I got it home and saw streaks of lead in the bore - so I loaded a box of jacketed 250 gr Hornady XTP pills with 16 grs of Blue Dot. Groups now run about 1-1/2” at 50 yards. I’m going to work up a lead bullet load but I know there’s nothing wrong with the rifle.
    I chore boy'd the hell out of it the other day. Have some jacketed round nose. Will run a few through for good measure.

Oops, got stuck on the yellow part

Boolit Master
    pworley1, many of the older Henry's had micro-groove rifling. That’s why I suggested counting your lands and grooves. If that’s the case, they can still shoot cast, but you’ll want them 0.454 or larger. Where do you get them, other than a custom mould, I don’t know. As HWooldridge suggested, try some jacketed bullets. If not micro-grooved and it doesn’t shoot jacketed bullets, that maybe the reason you got it on the used market.
    he said its a Uberti 1866??????????? we have two quite old ones and they conventional rifling (both shoot good too)

Boolit Mold
    Try some Chore Boy copper scrubbing pad. Wrap some (doesn't take much) around your selected bore brush so that you struggle a little to get it to go in the end of barrel. O
    nce it's in, give it about 100 strokes and if it is leaded, it will get it out. It has worked for me for years.

Boolit Mold
    Ran Chore Boy and some jacketed 230gr through it and hey, I can really see the rifling now!

Got in some Missouri cast 250s and will try them tomorrow and see what happens.

Kind of an off question, but in addition to the regular wax lube they come with I'm coating them with Lee Alox. Any insight on that?

Boolit Mold
    Ok, it aint the gun. Deep clean and it's now shooting 1in with jacket xtp on 8gr Unique. Doesn't like the missouri cast @ 12 brinell. Bit better with the srs 16 brinell.

Boolit Master
    Nice! Well done!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan64 View Post
    Ok, it aint the gun. Deep clean and it's now shooting 1in with jacket xtp on 8gr Unique. Doesn't like the missouri cast @ 12 brinell. Bit better with the srs 16 brinell.
    It was the gun...to correct myself. It was leaded up bad. I've never had a gun that had that bad an issue.

Running jacketed and chore boy through it solved this problem. Now it's dialed in pretty decent.

Long, lovely day at the range with the hand press and the Marty Robinson play list.

Now to doll it up with tack work.

Boolit Mold
    Oh, another "Discovery" if you will....Triple 7 was outperforming the Pyrodex and 8gr Unique on the XTPs was phenomenal.

Boolit Master
    Another thing I've done is wipe the bore with Johnson Paste Wax after every session. Seems to help slick up the bore for lead boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Another thing I've done is wipe the bore with Johnson Paste Wax after every session. Seems to help slick up the bore for lead boolits.
    good to know.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220417_173704LR.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	299179

Running like a beauty now. Many thanks to all.

* Took off the Uberti Soviet Orange finish, re-did with linseed oil and turpentine. Slicked up some internal parts, got the leading sorted out, then did the tack work. Replacing buggered Uberti screws and adding a saddle ring.
    Last edited by Sheridan64; 04-18-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am glad I came across this thread. Have the same rifle with the same accuracy issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99CF104A-97D8-45FE-AC4E-ACB3714584A2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	299471
    The 1866 is a very pretty rifle. I have a uberti musket version. Glad you got yours figured out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12