RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: When Did This Idea of a Rapture Come From?

Boolit Buddy
    Alabama358;5449902 I hope you didn't pay for that definition of Generation, because if you did you need to get your money refunded.
    Just curious, Where did you get that definition as it pertains to verse 32? Do you have any scripture tied to it.
    I got it from the internet.
    Do a "Google" search and you'll find that most sites give that same definition.
    There wasn't any Chapter/Verse info in those definitions that I saw.

What Christ was saying is "this generation shall not pass away" He is referencing the generation that sees all of the signs that he just listed... ie. the abomination of desolation, the Sun and Moon being darkened, stars falling from the sky etc.
    Not the saints he was preaching to but the future saints that will see the signs that he just prophesied about.
    That could be.

However, the way I read it is in the context it is written.:

31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

In 31 Jesus is telling his disciples that they will see those things, etc. and the next thing Jesus says
    in 32 is....."this generation"..............
    If the disciples were going to see those things, then others (this generation) would also see them.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama358 View Post
    I hope you didn't pay for that definition of Generation, because if you did you need to get your money refunded.
    Just curious, Where did you get that definition as it pertains to verse 32? Do you have any scripture tied to it

What Christ was saying is "this generation shall not pass away" He is referencing the generation that sees all of the signs that he just listed... ie. the abomination of desolation, the Sun and Moon being darkened, stars falling from the sky etc.
    Not the saints he was preaching to but the future saints that will see the signs that he just prophesied about.
    Spot on.
    People have to realize that Jesus didn't say maybe learn the parable of the fig tree. He said learn it.
    My thoughts are that the generation of the fig tree is here with both the good and the bad figs; 1948 plus 120 years being the window of time that puts us well into the prophesied third day.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I got it from the internet.
    Do a "Google" search and you'll find that most sites give that same definition.
    There wasn't any Chapter/Verse info in those definitions that I saw.
    I was just trying to add a little humor with the definition refund thingy, didn't mean to offend.

I think Christ added the "This Generation" in his sermon so that future saints that are living during the end times would know when they see all of the signs and wonders that he just prophesied, they would know the end is near...even at the door as Christ said.
    So that it would not take them as a thief in the night and would not be a total surprise for the children of the light that some might have you believe...

As written by Paul in 1 Thessalonians 2-5
    2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
    3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
    4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
    5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 are all recaps of Christ sermon of his return to gather/rapture his Saints. they all say the same thing but I personally think that Matthew 24 is the best rendition.

Boolit Buddy
    Alabama358;5450284]I was just trying to add a little humor with the definition refund thingy, didn't mean to offend.
    No offense taken Alabama358, I added the Chapter/Verse line in my reply with a sense of humor as well.

I think Christ added the "This Generation" in his sermon so that future saints that are living during the end times would know when they see all of the signs and wonders that he just prophesied, they would know the end is near...even at the door as Christ said.
    Perhaps it is a translation issue.
    If Jesus was previously talking about people in the future, then when he said "this generation" it would be pretty obvious that he was referencing those people in the future that he was just talking about.
    But he was talking to the disciples and telling them that they would see those things, etc..............

Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 are all recaps of Christ sermon of his return to gather/rapture his Saints. they all say the same thing but I personally think that Matthew 24 is the best rendition.
    I just read Matthew 24 and yes, the same statements from Luke 21: 31&32 are there.
    Too bad the Word of God is written in a way where some will get a different meaning than others.
    Thanks for your input.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    All that wisdom with not a single scripture. Lets try it again -
    Okay, I accept your challenge knowing that neither logic nor scripture will mean anything to you. So, first, I'll stipulate that I'm fully aware this will accomplish nothing with you.

1 You say the saints will be rapture pretrib before the 7 years (no scripture stated to back up this position)
    Human history records many periods of localized disasters but nothing even approaches the miseries of the seven years of world wide misery as is described in the Revelation of Jesus Christ to the apostle John.

Biblically speaking, the Tribulation will be a world wide time in which the wrath of God is visited on those who have effectively shaken their fists in their rejection of God. BUT, the Church is clearly promised to be kept from the fury of God's coming time of universal WRATH. (1 Thess 5:9). Therefore, the Church must be snatched up to heaven with Jesus (i.e., raptured) before the Tribulation can begin.

2 Christ says he will be back to collect his saints from the 4 winds at the halfway point of the 7 years
    Nothing in scripture even suggests that Jesus might return to earth at that point. I can't give you a Bible reference saying that's not when he will return but there are a lot of other places that also don't say that. ???

Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the aof the Lord's abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, ....
    That is indeed at the halfway point of Tribulation but there's no suggestion of the Lord's return, nor a rapture, at that time. And I admit I have no reference specifically saying mid-trib is not when Jesus is coming back but a return then doesn't come close to fitting what is said!

3 Christ returns on a white horse with his saints to set up his 1000 year rule.

So you think there will be 3 times the Lord comes?
    No, I don't think that at all and I don't believe even you think I do.

The Lord's return to earth, with his previously raptured Church, is described in Rev. 19:16. He will stop the bloody Armageddon battle to end the seven years of Tribulation/Wrath of God period and begin preparations for the Millennial Kingdom.

(There are other scriptures supporting all of that but one verse each is enough to make my points and you probably won't honestly read any of them anyway so I'll drop it here.)
    Last edited by 1hole; 08-30-2022 at 10:09 PM.

"Okay, I accept your challenge knowing that neither logic nor scripture will mean anything to you."

That appears to depict the whole of pre-trib rapturism.

Boolit Master
    Well Cheer, how 'bout YOU stop taking negative cheep shots that mean nothing in application and tell us YOUR expert view of the rapture and when (or if?) it will happen. Maybe just once?

It's easy. As previously stated, from my studies I think Christ's return will probably happen somewhere in the window of time formed from 2000 years after he was murdered until 120 years after the start of the fig tree generation. In other words, that it will take place during the prophesied third day and it will be of the generation foretold.
    For my thoughts on a pre-trib rapture theory, I've been through the arguments for and against as I needed to decide for myself what I think about it. I don't buy the theory, I don't buy that it was taught long ago. As to whether the theory was of demonic inspiration to Margaret McDonald or a marketing gimmick by Darby or a promotion by zionists financing Scofield for their own ends... it's a mess. I've seen what those arguments have to offer and see no reason why it could not have been all three. One thing for sure and certain, promoting the theory in the churches of the United States is certainly being done with political aims. Whether that's good or bad generally depends upon ones point of view and unfortunately ones politics rather than study of scripture.
    So, 1hole, there you are, my thoughts as of September 1, 2022.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Biblically speaking, the Tribulation will be a world wide time in which the wrath of God is visited on those who have effectively shaken their fists in their rejection of God. BUT, the Church is clearly promised to be kept from the fury of God's coming time of universal WRATH. (1 Thess 5:9). Therefore, the Church must be snatched up to heaven with Jesus (i.e., raptured) before the Tribulation can begin.
    This is the most common mistake made by folks in the Pre-Trib tribes. No where in the scripture does it say that whole 7 year period is GOD pouring out his wrath, on the contrary even Christ himself says that the Great Tribulation doesnt even start until the half way point.
    Matthew 24: 21-22
    21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
    22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Nothing in scripture even suggests that Jesus might return to earth at that point. I can't give you a Bible reference saying that's not when he will return but there are a lot of other places that also don't say that. ???

That is indeed at the halfway point of Tribulation but there's no suggestion of the Lord's return, nor a rapture, at that time. And I admit I have no reference specifically saying mid-trib is not when Jesus is coming back but a return then doesn't come close to fitting what is said!
    Matthew 24:
    29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

So you agree that this is the midpoint on or about 3 1/2 years in to the 7 year period... Christ clearly states that he (unless you think the Son of Man is someone else) will come in the Clouds (doesn't say feet on the earth) at the sound of a Great Trump to gather his Elect. (notice that it is the midway point and his elect are still here and he is gathering them up...as in snatching them in to the air in to the clouds. kind of like a Rapture)

Forget my words, if you can read Christ's words and not see it then I will have to assume your heart is hardened for what ever reason
    The only reason I have spent this much time and effort is in hopes that other folks could see the truth and not be tricked in to this false doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I just re-read Luke 21.

Jesus tells many predictions to his disciples and also says:

31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Generation definition: the entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time.

Hmmmm,....That generation is long gone and those predictions of Jesus have not occurred.
    Keep a close eye on Ye Auld Englishmen.
    The whole of the chapter including that sentence needs to be parted out in order to get the meaning of what was said.
    However, with regards to "this generation", the word translated as "generation" means a generation as a time, an era, as well as a group of individuals.
    As for that word translated as "this", Mark recorded a different word (akin to backwards, a baffling wind) from what Matthew and Luke did (a feminine plural pronoun not meaning what was then present). However, in context they all got the meaning across, a meaning quite opposed to what we would come away with reading only the King James version. Just another example of how very valuable good quality interlinear texts and Strong's concordances are for us, and pointing out how very valuable the King James version is due to the resources that are keyed to it.

Just something I have to wonder about...
    Jesus pointed out that he didn't know when he was returning.
    Did you ever wonder about how he could see future events while he was here in a flesh body but not see when future events would transpire? I'd never thought about it before but now it's something I should file away for future reference.

Boolit Master
    As I understand it, the "rapture" occurs at the second coming of the Savior, which will ocur during the very dark days of the Antichrist. Two witnesses...Prophets... will have preached in the Holy Land for about two years, showing marvelous instances of power, and will be killed, causing great celebration among the wicked of the world. They will be revitalized, which will be seen on world media. Israel will be besieged, and the forces of the Lord will preserve it. Somewhere in there, Jesus will descend, wearing robes of scarlet, with 144,000 of his servants with him. The righteous, "good" and the innocent will be caught up to meet the Lord, and the wicked will be destroyed by fire. I hope that includes Mosquitoes, Horseflies and Sandspurs, among many other things that have tormented man since Adam. This will usher in the MILENNIUM...the thousand years of peace when Satan will be bound, and have no influence on the earth, and Jesus' righteous government will reign supreme. Definitely not an exhaustive list of the happenings, but I hope me and my family will be on the "right" side if it happens in my lifetime...or not!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master
    We gentiles have a lot of trouble understanding the Bible because we don't have the historical foundations of the people who wrote it - and as it was written to - the Jews. For one thing, the Jews did not always write as we do, i.e., in sequence.

For instance, in Isaiah (and others in the O.T.) the writings of prophecy may move from the near time to a far distant time in the same sentence without missing a step! Jesus' words about "this generation will not pass away" before his return are an example; he obviously didn't mean the generation he spoke to before his ascension so it has to be aimed at the generation living immediately before his second coming.

We make too big a deal about what Jesus said to his contemporaries when we forget (if we ever really understood) that Jesus' came to us as the "son of man", not as God or even as a mixture of God and man. Jesus was born a human infant; he lived, worked and died as a human under the Mosaic Law. During that time the Jesus ONLY knew what the Father revealed to him. Thus Jesus, the son of man, at the moment he spoke those "no one knows" words didn't know when he would return but that cannot possibly mean Jesus, God the Son of God, does not now know exactly when he will return. Believing Jesus still does not know exactly when he will return has to presume an impossible separation of knowledge within the all-knowing unity of our Triune God (Father/Son/Holy Spirit) and that simply cannot exist.

Finally, the Rapture of the Church is NOT the "second coming". In fact, neither the Rapture nor the second coming will occur at mid-trib, that simply starts the more horrible second half of the seven years of Tribulation. At mid-trib another 3 1/2 years of hell on earth remains before the Lord actually comes back with his saints and puts a stop to the massive bloodshed. Then He establishes his 1,000 year kingdom (Rev 19-22).

Boolit Master
    "For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,..."

Colossians 1:19 (E.S.V.)

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy

We gentiles have a lot of trouble understanding the Bible because we don't have the historical foundations of the people who wrote it - and as it was written to - the Jews. For one thing, the Jews did not always write as we do, i.e., in sequence.
    I think it is tad presumptuous of you to speak for Gentiles of the world...
    It would have been more accurate if you said that YOU have a lot of trouble understanding the Bible and not "We Gentiles".

Also.. I am not sure where you got the Chuckleheaded idea that the Bible was written to "the Jews"... interesting that the New Testament was primarily written in Greek (Koine Greek)
    You would think that if it was written to "The Jews" it would have been written in Hebrew/Aramaic their language and not Greek the language of the gentiles.

So I guess your position is that the Bible was written to the Jews and not to the Church?? Very Strange

Finally, the Rapture of the Church is NOT the "second coming". In fact, neither the Rapture nor the second coming will occur at mid-trib, that simply starts the more horrible second half of the seven years of Tribulation. At mid-trib another 3 1/2 years of hell on earth remains before the Lord actually comes back with his saints and puts a stop to the massive bloodshed. Then He establishes his 1,000 year kingdom (Rev 19-22).

SO... you have acknowledged back on 09-01 that the abomination of desolation, Sun and moon darkened, stars falling etc. is the mid point of the 7 year period... and I quote "That is indeed at the halfway point of Tribulation"

Matthew 24:
    29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

So the LORD says after the abomination of desolation that he is coming in the clouds with a sound of a great trumpet to gather his Elect from one end of heaven to the other at the Mid point but you say in fact he is not.

I am not sure what type of mental gymnastic lunacy a person of faith would have to go through to read Matthew 24 and say that Christ is not talking about his return to collect his saints

Boolit Master
    [/SIZE]
    SO... you have acknowledged back on 09-01 that the abomination of desolation, Sun and moon darkened, stars falling etc. is the mid point of the 7 year period... and I quote "That is indeed at the halfway point of Tribulation"

Matthew 24:

So the LORD says after the abomination of desolation that he is coming in the clouds with a sound of a great trumpet to gather his Elect from one end of heaven to the other at the Mid point but you say in fact he is not.

I am not sure what type of mental gymnastic lunacy a person of faith would have to go through to read Matthew 24 and say that Christ is not talking about his return to collect his saints
    Ah goodness Alabama, you do go to a lot of trouble attempting to build your reputation as a theologian.

Let's both think on this a bit and I'll do it without snide suggestions that those who disagree with my doctrines are, ipso facto, "darkside" followers of Satan. Thing is, I like letting scripture test and prove itself without injecting my "help".

In Bible study I think it's best to let scripture speak for itself. We do that by proper exegesis, i.e., a drawing out of what is actually written. We go wrong when we inject our own ideas by exiguous, i.e., by inserting our words in between the actually written words in order to build or support our own doctrines; man's exiguous explains how a LOT of bad doctrines get promulgated in the church.

You take snip-its of isolated scripture and assign meanings that are not stated and then you disparage those who disagree with you; that's not good.

For instance, and in no particular order, you say the New Testament was originally written in Greek but we certainly don't know that. Yeah, the oldest surviving bits of scripture that we have are in Greek but they were written a few hundred years after the fact so that's really not authoritative of how the Bible started is it? So, no, we really don't know what language the N.T. was originally written in but Aramaic seems much more probable to me than Greek OR Latin! BUT, we do KNOW most of it was originally written in the Hebrew style and it remains that way today.

So, to whom was the Bible primarily aimed? Well, as Paul said about his missionary travels, wherever he went he always first went to Jewish synagogues, meaning he spoke to "the Jew first" and then the gentiles. And all of the N.T. authors save two were Jews; taken together that might mean something.

Then consider who the Bible's recorded history and prophecies were addressed. As important as we gentiles think we are, there's nothing specific in scripture about England or Spain, nothing at all about London or Chicago or Joe Biden. In fact, the whole of the Bible story revolves around God's promises to Abraham's descendents and what is now Israel and Jerusalem, and that's specifically where things on earth will end. Thus, all of the names and lands mentioned in scripture only have importance so far as they have had or will yet have an impact on the Jewish bloodline, not the gentile church as such. Surely even you recognise all of that!

You're tied up with injecting your belief about the angel's collecting God's saints at mid-trib; that's a mistake. Read Rev. 19 and then Matt 24. You should easily recognise that Matt 24 was spoken directly to and for the Jews who will have gone through the Tribulation. Thus, the Rapture of the church is certainly NOT the "second coming" to earth as it's described in Matt 24 and Rev 19. The Lord's return to earth along with his blood-bought bride (the church) will occur AFTER the Tribulation, not halfway through it.

The Tribulation is when the angel's you worry about will gather up the scattered believers who come to faith - and survive - long after the Rapture AND long after the second coming AND (I believe) well after the Millennial Kingdom!

The heavenly disruptions of the end time's you get so hung up on will also occur after the Tribulation is completed, not after all of us have been sitting around somewhere in space (?) watching the final 3 1/2 years of the horrors of it.

Let God be true and allow him to speak for himself. I suggest you look at what his' Bible actually says and reconcile all of it, not just what you think it should say, before you become so dogmatic about disconnected bits and pieces that you can't think straight.
    Last edited by 1hole; 09-20-2022 at 08:11 PM.

And when Jesus had departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon He told His disciples...

Boolit Master
    [/SIZE]
    I don't know who you're quoting but, as you state it, it's not me.

Indeed, the abomination that causes desolation in the temple occurs at mid-trib. But all of the other things you try to force in will happen at the end of the Tribulation, not halfway through.

Note that verse 29 in your quote below specifically tells us that what's said there occurs AFTER the Tribulation of those days. The moon/stars stuff, plus the return of the Lord with his church/Bride, clearly comes at the END of the Tribulation.

Matthew 24:
    Do you really think Jesus will return to earth and bring the church with Him at mid-trib? There would still be 3 1/2 years of the Great Tribulation to unroll, where would He and the Church go to watch the remaining earthly horrors and what would they be doing as they watched? NO, your idea of a mid-trib return of Jesus and a Raptured church cannot be true!

The Lord's return to earth to establish a new earthly kingdom centered in a new Jerusalem, with its thousand years of world peace, will clearly be after all of the tribulation disasters and wars, not halfway through them

So, I say your sequence of events is wrong. Ask yourself; Why would the Lord choose to gather his elect halfway through the Tribulation? Would his angels find and take the living saints or raise the newly dead?? Either way, that's not what scripture says (or even suggests) will happen at the end of the world as we know it and it would make no sense at all for God to send angels out to blow horns and only gather about half of his own people at mid-trib!

Gymnastics? Lunacy? Man, you should lighten up on Matt 24 as if it alone tells us anything about the end times!

Reconcile the little of the end times you see in Matt 24 with the books of Daniel and Revelation (and others) to learn what Jews - but not us Gentiles! - are taught from infancy. That alone would open your eyes to the bigger picture.

Boolit Buddy

I don't know who you're quoting but, as you state it, it's not me.

Indeed, the abomination that causes desolation in the temple occurs at mid-trib. But all of the other things you try to force in will happen at the end of the Tribulation, not halfway through.

Note that verse 29 in your quote below specifically tells us that what's said there occurs AFTER the Tribulation of those days. The moon/stars stuff, plus the return of the Lord with his church/Bride, clearly comes at the END of the Tribulation.

Do you really think Jesus will return to earth and bring the church with Him at mid-trib? No not "bring the church" he is coming mid-trib to collect the church ie. his elect, his words not mine There would still be 3 1/2 years of the Great Tribulation to unroll, where would He and the Church go to watch the remaining earthly horrors and what would they be doing as they watched? Only a complete moron, maybe an illiterate... or a person being disingenuous and seeking to deceive could read this entire post and think that that is my position. So which of the three are you? NO, your idea of a mid-trib return of Jesus and a Raptured church cannot be true!

The Lord's return to earth to establish a new earthly kingdom centered in a new Jerusalem, with its thousand years of world peace, will clearly be after all of the tribulation disasters and wars, not halfway through them

So, I say your sequence of events is wrong. Ask yourself; Why would the Lord choose to gather his elect halfway through the Tribulation? Would his angels find and take the living saints or raise the newly dead?? Either way, that's not what scripture says (or even suggests) will happen at the end of the world as we know it and it would make no sense at all for God to send angels out to blow horns and only gather about half of his own people at mid-trib!

Gymnastics? Lunacy? Man, you should lighten up on Matt 24 as if it alone tells us anything about the end times! Good idea... "lighten up" (real words of wisdom right there) on the actual Scripture that "The Church" in real time and face to face went to Christ and said "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?" You are a regular genius!

Reconcile the little of the end times you see in Matt 24 with the books of Daniel and Revelation (and others) Of course you give no specific scripture to learn what Jews - but not us Gentiles! - are taught from infancy. That alone would open your eyes to the bigger picture.
    I Would encourage anyone that has not read the entire thread to go back and do so, there is a lot of good facts and Scripture quoted.

1hole ...It appears that you would like to just pop in at the end of the thread and make up a false/fake argument hoping that folks will just read your disingenuous last post and not read the entire post that is backed up by Scripture and fact refuting your Darby Clown-show antics.

Proverbs 26:11 comes to mind
    As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Boolit Master
    You ask me to
    "get over Matthew 24"

My Lord, God, and Savior said:

14And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

>and then shall<
    Two "Shalls" in one sentence!
    "Shall" is never optional.

No getting over, or around, evangelizing this world.
    Surely we have missionaries: you and me.

If anything, we are backsliding, cancelled, masked, isolated.
    If we want to hasten the day, we need revival and I do not mean a TV revival.
    We must serve our Lord; that is why He put us here:
    "witness unto all nations"
    and only then will our Lord come.

"Even so, Jesus come quickly"

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast