MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Cornbread with masa?

Boolit Grand Master

Cornbread with masa?

Anyone made cornbread with masa replacing the flour? I find all kinds of recipes with masa replacing the corn, but not replacing the flour. Wife is sensitive to wheat and needs wheat replacement and I thought masa would be a logical one. I'm gonna try it tomorrow unless someone says it is a failure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Grease pan and preheat in 450 deg F oven. 1 1/2 cup corn meal
    2 t baking powder
    1/3 t baking soda
    1 t salt 1 cup buttermilk
    2 T cooking oil, 1 egg.
    By hand, beat egg, add buttermilk and oil. Add meal, baking powder and salt. Combine baking soda with 1 T hot water, in buttermilk measure. Add to mix, and beat vigorously. Spoon into pan. Bake at 450 deg F for 25 minutes. No flour involved.

Boolit Master
    I have done something similar Corn bread with Corn meal and fine corn flour

masa flour will change the taste more than ground corn flour

My recipy was 50/50 corn and ground corn

you will have play around with the liquid content and add 10-20% more baking powder to get it to rise (less like a hockey puck)

I have a gluten allergy and still find corn affects me (alot less than White flour)

No bread for more than a year for me

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    2 t baking powder
    1/3 t baking soda
    2 T cooking oil, 1 egg.
    By hand, beat egg, add buttermilk and oil. Add meal, baking powder and salt. Combine baking soda with 1 T hot water, in buttermilk measure. Add to mix, and beat vigorously. Spoon into pan. Bake at 450 deg F for 25 minutes. No flour involved.

For a less gritty corn bread use 3/4 cup corn meal and 3/4 cup corn flour (50-50) . The corn flour is corn but ground as fine as flour . Corn flour has a different taste / texture than just straight corn meal .
    The bag of corn flour I bought is labeled Masa Harina and is a fine corn flour .
    Much better to fry seafood in than straight corn meal ... and to thicken chili and taco soup .

I have always found straight corn meal for cornbread was a bit gritty , course textured and using corn flour with the meal made for a finer textured , better tasting cornbread . Try different ratio's to find the recipe you like .
    For frying fish , shrimp and oysters I prefer straight corn flour + a little cajun seasoning .

Discovered that white corn flour is best to use in baking cornbread ... masa harina is a product used for making Tamales and Tortillas and has been treated with an alkali for this purpose . OK to thicken Chili with though!
    It sure does look like corn flour ...

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-11-2022 at 09:41 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I did some checking around and discovered that the stuff called Masa Harina is different than plain Corn Flour . Not speaking Spanish I thought Masa was for Corn and Harina meant Flour ...
    Seems like Masa Harina is for making Tamale's and tortilla's and has been treated with an alkali ...
    It must have a different flavor ... I didn't know this . The stuff looks like Corn Flour but the cooking experts say to fry seafood and make corn bread with Corn Flour ...typically the white corn flour is used .
    Since I use my stuff to thicken chili and impart a little flavor Masa Harina is good to use in this respect .

Old dog ...Learned new trick !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

If you have a coffee grinder you can make small amounts of corn flour by buzzing corn meal in it. I make oat flour that way too. My grinder is electric and has the 2 spinning blades in the bottom.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I did some checking around and discovered that the stuff called Masa Harina is different than plain Corn Flour . Not speaking Spanish I thought Masa was for Corn and Harina meant Flour ...
    Seems like Masa Harina is for making Tamale's and tortilla's and has been treated with an alkali ...
    It must have a different flavor ... I didn't know this . The stuff looks like Corn Flour but the cooking experts say to fry seafood and make corn bread with Corn Flour ...typically the white corn flour is used .
    Since I use my stuff to thicken chili and impart a little flavor Masa Harina is good to use in this respect .

Old dog ...Learned new trick !
    Gary
    Masa Harina is corn flour - but first treated with lye to get the outer hard shell off. Think of hominy, which is the result of that process, dried and ground. That is Masa Harina.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA
    Don’t have a recipe for you but a neat fact. Treating corn with lye was done by native Americans as well ast the Aztecs, Mayans and other aboriginals. It doesn’t just cause the outer skin to slip, it more importantly causes the nutrients to be bioavailable. Research in early 1900s was done to try and learn why poor southerners and poor Mexicans, both eating diets high in corn, had different health. The Mexicans being healthier. Ends up the aboriginals knew exactly what they were doing and why, the poor Mexicans followed suit and poor Americans abandoned it.

Boolit Master
    give it a try. dont see why it would not work, its the baking powder or baking soda that will make it rise. ive made pancakes with straight corn meal before and they came out pretty darn good added a couple teaspoons of baking powder, a couple eggs, a shake of salt, maybe 1/2-3/4 cup corn meal a little molasses and a couple teaspoons of raw sugar to make them interesting. with peanut butter and maple syrup on top with a couple venison sausage patties and coffee to wash it down makes one righteous breakfast

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    2 t baking powder
    1/3 t baking soda
    2 T cooking oil, 1 egg.
    While your mixing up your cornbread, heat a cast iron skillet in the oven well greased. Pour the mixture in that and then cook.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Masa harina is made from corn soaked in slaked lime. Called nixtamilization.
    Tortillas, cornbread, thickening for soups, stews, casseroles.
    Always have it in the cupboard.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    While your mixing up your cornbread, heat a cast iron skillet in the oven well greased. Pour the mixture in that and then cook.
    Always, with butter melting in the pan as it heats. Pour the batter in the hot pan and you get a nice crust on the bottom.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master

Did it yesterday, using one cup corn meal and one cup Masa Harina. Alos used bacon grease for the fat. Nicely raised and nicely browned on top as well. Looked and tasted great.
    Wayne the Shrink