Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Dixie Gunworks Carbine Sight?

Dixie Gunworks Carbine Sight?

Does anyone have any experience with this carbine rear sight for the Winchester 1873? I bought one and received it today and it’s Loosey Goosey. I tightened up the screw and it tried to strip. At its tightest the sight is still really loose. Anyone experience this with this sight. I figured there would be a spring to keep it in its position, but there isn’t one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Loose where? In the dovetail? The standing portion of the sight?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

You might try some shims along the sides of the moving leaf.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Loose where? In the dovetail? The standing portion of the sight?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Where the sight pivots. I have not installed the sight yet due to if it’s this loose, there’s no need.

I bought that exact sight; intending to use it on my current trapdoor project and noticed the same issue ALONG with the fact the dovetail is considerably under .375! Thats a bigger problem than the wobbly.

However, my next stop was “Lodgewood manufacturing” where i found a Smith carbine sight that was a better option anyway. Better looking, tighter and a dovetail i could work with. I believe i remember that dovetail being larger than .375; but that’s much easier to deal with. It was $75.00 but i was much happier than with the Dixie. They show it as out of stock but if you back order one it shouldn't be long, i understand the dude and his wife that make all that stuff are a small operation.
    Scroll back to the first post in my Collection of compromise trapdoor project; and you’ll see the sight im referring to.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Smith-Carb...al-_p_680.html
    Last edited by Alasgun; 04-09-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I bought that exact sight; intending to use it on my current trapdoor project and noticed the same issue ALONG with the fact the dovetail is considerably under .375! Thats a bigger problem than the wobbly.

However, my next stop was “Lodgewood manufacturing” where i found a Smith carbine sight that was a better option anyway. Better looking, tighter and a dovetail i could work with. I believe i remember that dovetail being larger than .375; but that’s much easier to deal with. It was $75.00 but i was much happier than with the Dixie. They show it as out of stock but if you back order one it shouldn't be long, i understand the dude and his wife that make all that stuff are a small operation.
    Scroll back to the first post in my Collection of compromise trapdoor project; and you’ll see the sight im referring to.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Smith-Carb...al-_p_680.html
    Thank You. I haven’t even checked the dovetail yet. I’ll probably just send this one back as if I have to modify it to make it work, then I’m not going to keep it.