Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Berry’s plated 7.62x39 bullets, any experience with these?

Boolit Mold

Berry’s plated 7.62x39 bullets, any experience with these?

New to the forums here so if I’m in the wrong spot let me know. Split some of the Berry’s 123gr plated for the 7.62x39 with a guy at work. Local rifle range is closed for now so I’ve only been able to test in the yard for function and obvious pressure signs. So far IMR4227, SBR SOCOM and 2400 have worked the action of Chinese and Russian SKS’s. The Yugo 59/66 takes a bit more gas and seems to like the SBR SOCOM.

He has tried CFE Black and H4198. CFE pushed too hard and dirty, H4198 showed some promise. Gave him some SBR SOCOM and it seemed like the better medicine for the plated bullets.

I plan on loading up some test rounds to put on paper since the range will be open soon. Right now I plan on starting with an OAL of 2.12” with PPU brass. Ranges I plan to try in the SKS and Ruger American for accuracy (possible in an AR as well).

SBR SOCOM, 23.5-24.5gr
    IMR4227, 22-23gr
    2400, 15-16gr

Any suggestions or insight would be great. Also wonder how these powders stack up on Quickload.

Thanks

I have not used the 7.62x39 Berry Bullets. However, I use the 30-30 Berry bullets in both a 30-30 and in a 300BLK at speeds of around 1850fps.

I have found them to be very accurate if kept under the velocity limit (2000fps for the 7.62x39) stated on the Berry Bullets web site. It is found under “Loading Tips”.

I pushed them too fast in the 300BLK’s 1 in 8 twist rate barrel and they flew apart before hitting the target.

Reloader#7 and Alliant 2400 have worked well for me.

Boolit Bub
    I just use com-block surplus in my SKS's, as they are not exactly benchrest guns. But ,in my Ruger Am Rch, they (Extreme- like Berry's) will shoot sub-MOA with CFE-Blackout.
    First in Last Out!

Boolit Buddy
    I have never tried them in an AK or SKS however, I used the X-treme bullet 123 grain plated for 7.62x39 in a Mosin and a Lee Enfield doing the 60% start load for H4895. Didn’t do too bad.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do they still make them????
    I've wanted to try them, but could never find any.