WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing Big-Bore PCP bullets

Boolit Bub

Lubing Big-Bore PCP bullets

I have a .457 Airforce Texan and cast my own bullets. I am considering using a lube, but not real sure what since there are so many different kinds and none specifically for airguns. Do any of you have any experience and ideas?

Boolit Grand Master

I would think you would want a dry lube. Dieseling could be an issue with some of the high oil content lubes.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Keith View Post
    I have a .457 Airforce Texan and cast my own bullets. I am considering using a lube, but not real sure what since there are so many different kinds and none specifically for airguns. Do any of you have any experience and ideas?
    I do not have/shoot any big bore pellets. That being said, I have had success with a product purveyed by Airguns of Arizona. Despite it's "high" price, a little goes a long, long way. A range-buddy uses Ballistol, but I feared dieseling and abrasive residue should that happen. Again, I tried the Pellet Lub... and it works for me.
    geoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Power Pellet Lub.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	298765

Boolit Master
    You won’t get any dieseling with a PCP air gun because the oil isn’t in with the compressed air, it’s on the bullet in the chamber. The product that georgerkahn suggests should help, but use it very sparingly. Most put the pellets/slugs in a plastic bag and drip a couple of drops in the bag and roll it around.

I know quite a few airgunners use 10 Wt Silicone R/C Shock Oil to sparingly lube their slugs.... I believe a few drops in a baggie, add the slugs and work them around is the technique....

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    Not big bore, but I ran preliminary tests with Balistol on .22 pellets. Accuracy was enhanced and no dieseling. I only shot 10 five shot groups at 50 yards with each level of lube and used the cheapo Crosman 14.3 HP's.

No lube accuracy was .81"
    Very light lube was .65"
    Heavy lube was .87"
    "Tin lubed" as described below .72"

The light and heavy lube was done in a baggie and it is harder to control IMO. Light was a couple of drops on about 50 pellets. Heavy was 5 drops on about 50 pellets. "Tin lubed" was a small piece of paper towel, added four drops, put it in a tin and rolled it around with about 150 pellets. Easy peesy.

I plan on doing more testing when the weather improves, but it seems lube helps accuracy if not applied too heavily. I will be evaluating not only short term accuracy but if lube affects accuracy after 250-300 shots (lube purging).

The other lube I was going to try was BLL (Ben's Liquid Lube...do a search). If I find issues with Ballistol I will be trying it. BLL will not be oily. IMO it would be a better option for a hunting rifle as pellets/slugs will not pick up crap. The reason I started with Ballistol is I had it for cleaning the barrel of the PCP guns and it was sitting there ready to use. BLL needs to be mixed and then the pellets need to air dry so a bit more involved....and I am lazy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Take a pellet tin, put a couple of drops of your oil or pellet honey on the foam and work in like a rifle brass lube pad.

I can't recall the receipe verbatim but I used Hoppes gun about 2-4 oz and 2 TBS of STP oil treatment.

Ah, found the receipe.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008...icate-pellets/

Boolit Bub
    Yes, that is a concern of mine!

Boolit Bub
    Interesting! Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Not big bore, but I ran preliminary tests with Balistol on .22 pellets. Accuracy was enhanced and no dieseling. I only shot 10 five shot groups at 50 yards with each level of lube and used the cheapo Crosman 14.3 HP's.

No lube accuracy was .81"
    Very light lube was .65"
    Heavy lube was .87"
    "Tin lubed" as described below .72"

The light and heavy lube was done in a baggie and it is harder to control IMO. Light was a couple of drops on about 50 pellets. Heavy was 5 drops on about 50 pellets. "Tin lubed" was a small piece of paper towel, added four drops, put it in a tin and rolled it around with about 150 pellets. Easy peesy.

I plan on doing more testing when the weather improves, but it seems lube helps accuracy if not applied too heavily. I will be evaluating not only short term accuracy but if lube affects accuracy after 250-300 shots (lube purging).

The other lube I was going to try was BLL (Ben's Liquid Lube...do a search). If I find issues with Ballistol I will be trying it. BLL will not be oily. IMO it would be a better option for a hunting rifle as pellets/slugs will not pick up crap. The reason I started with Ballistol is I had it for cleaning the barrel of the PCP guns and it was sitting there ready to use. BLL needs to be mixed and then the pellets need to air dry so a bit more involved....and I am lazy.
    Thanks Don! I use Ballistol, and for small bore all of the solutions these fine gentlemen have put forth are great, but this is more like a black powder without wanting to diesel. I’m shooting a 350 grain bullet at over 800 fps for over 500 fpe. It’s certainly different than normal airguns!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Take a pellet tin, put a couple of drops of your oil or pellet honey on the foam and work in like a rifle brass lube pad.

I can't recall the receipe verbatim but I used Hoppes gun about 2-4 oz and 2 TBS of STP oil treatment.

Ah, found the receipe.

I’m afraid that would diesel on me Greg. I’m shooting large bullets (250-400 gr) using over 3000 psi. It’s really a different beast from regular airguns

Boolit Grand Master
    Capt Keith

My .22 cal PCP's are running 3200 psi with about 980 fps, and I am not getting any dieseling with Ballistol coated pellets. I doubt the size of the bullet will have any bearing on dieseling. Like NSB posted, the lube is not in the compressed air but on the bullet.

I did a bit of research before trying it, but I do not recall anyone using it on the large bores like you are using. You may want to post something on Gateway to Airguns to get more opinions/experiences.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

Ah, found the receipe.

Thank you, Greg S, for this post! I will shortly mix some of this formula up! As I posted, I have been using the Napier product -- but this surely sounds like it is more than worth a try!
    geo

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Capt Keith

My .22 cal PCP's are running 3200 psi with about 980 fps, and I am not getting any dieseling with Ballistol coated pellets. I doubt the size of the bullet will have any bearing on dieseling. Like NSB posted, the lube is not in the compressed air but on the bullet.

I did a bit of research before trying it, but I do not recall anyone using it on the large bores like you are using. You may want to post something on Gateway to Airguns to get more opinions/experiences.
    I’m sorry Don, I wasn’t real clear. I have tried Ballistol on my big bores, and BTW I powder coat also, but I haven’t been real impressed with it. I have also tried Bore Butter. I still get some leading with all these. I may be chasing rainbows, but just trying to minimize leading. BTW, I also have .22 PCPs and the Ballistol works great on them.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Keith View Post
    I’m sorry Don, I wasn’t real clear. I have tried Ballistol on my big bores, and BTW I powder coat also, but I haven’t been real impressed with it. I have also tried Bore Butter. I still get some leading with all these. I may be chasing rainbows, but just trying to minimize leading. BTW, I also have .22 PCPs and the Ballistol works great on them.
    If you powdercoating the 457 projectiles you should not get any leading.
    I have a Airforce Texan 457 shooting a 350 gr hp and zero leading have other customers doing the same. Are you curing the pc at 400 degrees for at least 25 minutes? 20 minutes for 250 gr and less more cure time for heavier bullets
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    What about Moly (95% pure, powdered), any one tried it?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    If you powdercoating the 457 projectiles you should not get any leading.
    I have a Airforce Texan 457 shooting a 350 gr hp and zero leading have other customers doing the same. Are you curing the pc at 400 degrees for at least 25 minutes? 20 minutes for 250 gr and less more cure time for heavier bullets
    I am Smoke, and using your powder. It looks great, and passes hammer test. I’m not really getting leading, more like “PCing”. I get the grooves marked with the powdercoat, which takes quite a bit of effort to remove.

Boolit Bub
    Smoke,

Here’s an example, this is after shooting some yellow bullets. It’s not thick, but noticeable. Maybe I’ll try cooking longer.

Sorry, couldn’t get the pic to load.

Vendor Sponsor

Ok coat longer at least 30 minutes for 325 gr and up .
    Also clean out pc from bore with acetone or bore tech eliminator ( faster)
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Ok coat longer at least 30 minutes for 325 gr and up .
    Also clean out pc from bore with acetone or bore tech eliminator ( faster)
    Will do. I’ve been using Ballistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast