Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What 45 LC bullet weight?

Boolit Master
    I've tried a number of different bullet configurations through my .45 Colt Carbine (which will not reliably feed LSWCs), and I keep coming back to the Lee 452-255-RF projectile. I prefer it when PCd, but even if conventionally lubed, it is a solid performer. It feeds well, shoots nice tight groups, develops high (for .45 Colt) velocities when I use Ruger/TC-only loads, and smacks targets HARD, when it connects. The only other projectile that even gets close (in my carbine) is the Lee 452-230-TC.
    I'm not sure what velocities a factory 240 gr. JHP obtains from a .44 Magnum carbine, but I would wager that my handloads are "in the same neighborhood" with either projectile. BTW, I get best accuracy with Hercules/Alliant 2400. I get slightly less, but still quite acceptable accuracy and higher velocities with either of the 4227s. I'm not a fan of H110/W296 in anything except .30 Carbine (for which it was originally developed) and avoid its use whenever possible.
    I think LAND OWNER is on to something about the .45 Colt. Properly loaded, I think there is very little in north America that cannot be quickly downed by a heavy (240 gr. and up) flat-point cast .45 Colt projectile out to 100 yards. I don't think I'd try tackling the largest bears (Grizzly, Kodiak, Polar) with a hot .45 Colt, but that's about the only exception that I can think of.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

yep, I use a switch for Grizzy...well, that and 385gr HC in a 45 Colt Ruger..lol

Boolit Mold
    i am using the NOE 454-307-A6 at shallow hollow point, about 287gr at that setting, powder coated, starline brass, and tite group or AC5 loaded at the pistol specs. been having good luck with it so far.

+1 .45 Colt user that favors the Lee 252- 255gr bullet (unsized) in a 1873 carbine and 1873 pistol. The rifle, with a 20" BBL, is loaded to 1350fps; which is about 400fps more velocity than what I get out of the pistol. It smacks deer hard at reasonable ranges before gravity messes up the trajectory. My "hardness" tester (Lee) tells me my "water quenched" bullets are about a 12 BHN. I haven't recovered one, as of yet. (Shooting pigs in their shoulder area would be the real penetration test for that lead composition.) IMO!)

Boolit Mold
    with what i listed it will bust a hogs shoulder but doesnt get in far enough, letting the hog run off to far to track. then again i smacked one with the truck at 60 and that hog ran another 100 yards before she went down, although she stopped a full size Chevy lol.

I loaded some 300 gr rnfp once to mess around with. I don’t remember how they shot.

Boolit Master

Shoot hogs in the "X" between ears and eyes for a DRT experience.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12