RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: My unused shorty

My unused shorty

I didnt want to spoil with Randys posts on battleguns so heres this story..My only tactical shotgun is a Marlin 120 with its Cutts C. cut off and down to 20" or so. I drilled the bead into its new position. Up on my bureau is a nice oak 3' long box that I found and refinished. It has a lift top and I put a couple long magnets inside. The gun is in there, empty, with all types of ammo. If not for the barrier piece on the magnets, its not able to be opened by hand lol. its not too tacticalClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1111.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	298740

This is my Shockwave-style shorty ( aka: a Whippit gun" ) Mossy 500 w/18-1/2" bbl & 27" OAL to keep the Feds happy.

I keep the magazine fully loaded, chamber empty & the hammer in the fired position so any bad guys will here the chamber being loaded in preparation to shoot them, and hopefully get the hint to leave.
    Last edited by pietro; 04-08-2022 at 10:24 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have an ancient bolt action 12 gauge. Poor condition when I bought it but it was in my price range. I looked it over a few years ago and decided the best use for it would be for home defense, so I made a shorty out of it. 18 1/2" barrel and chopped off the stock. I even bought a few boxes of 00 buck. Sadly, I've never even tried it out.

Boolit Master

That should get the job done if you ever need it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005271.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	298775 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005270.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	298774

I've got this one from back in the late '90s. It's a dead ringer for an Ithaca M37, but says "Made by Shan Dong 1st Machine Works, China." The distributor made me an offer I couldn't refuse. At the same time I also bought one almost identical except that it has a ventilated metal hand guard and was made by NORINCO. When I unpacked them I sat down and racked the slide on the NORINCO specimen 3 times in rapid succession. I heard "dink", as a piece fell out onto the concrete floor. I examined it and found it to be the elevator, the twin forks having broken off of the main part. I immediately phoned CAI, the importer, and asked if it was junk. They very promptly sent me a new elevator. The broken part was purple, but the new part was blue, and fit right in, after which the gun worked well. But, while waiting for the new part for the NORINCO I took the Shan Dong shooting and fired 3 boxes of shells through it, some quite rapidly. It held up, and I decided to make it the home defense shotgun. It's a 3" chamber 12 Ga. and I keep it loaded with 3" No. 1 buckshot shells. It's all steel (plastic stocks) and seems well made. If I remember correctly it cost just under $100, and the Norinco was about $112. I've always admired John Browning's M37 Ithaca design. Everything works through the hole in the bottom and the top is solid, which prevents dirt entry into the mechanism. It was the official riot gun of L.A.P.D. for many years, and I wouldn't be too surprised if they still have some of them. I don't see this design Chinese shotgun on the market anymore, but there were several Remington 870 copies being sold for the last few years. Hard choice to make between the 37 and 870, both very good.

DG

Boolit Master

My dad's old auto 5 light 12 that I turned in to a riot gun. Barrel is 20" because I did not want the mag tube sticking out past the muzzle.

Name:	Browning.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	298776

Not sure if Winchester called the 18” pistol grip 1200 the Defender back in 1990, but that’s my SHTF gun. Loaded with 8 rounds of 00 buckshot it should stop anything I will ever need stopped.

Finster: Does your A5 have the" two piece lifter?" If it doesn't you can retrofit one and get the "Speed Feed" function which makes the gun so much faster to load it is criminal. No tipping the gun upside down and holding the bolt release to load the magazine.

After Blowing the picture up I can see it appears to be an earlier gun? 1963 was the first year of the Speed Feed/ Two Piece Lifter. The parts to make the change are on Ebay frequently and it takes the Lifter and the Locking Block for the Bolt. These are bolt in parts, and the is no changes to the gun. This feature makes these guns not only competitive, but faster to operate than the Berettas and Benelli's. I beat them all with mine.

If you call Art's Gun Shop in Missouri, they can tell you exactly what to do and supply the parts as well. 1-636-944-3630.

He also has a video on Youtube on how to completely disassemble the A5 and it is well worth watching.

Hope this helps in making your gun all it could be.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Randy mine does have that feature. My range only has a few three gun matches a year and usually only eight targets in the shotgun stage. I load seven, empty the gun and get a very fast 1 round reload followed by a quick last shot. I can actually get 10 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. That's cheating I guess. I believe I may have gotten that mag tube from you years ago. I do still have the original vent rib barrel for it too.

Name:	AEC7D6BB-DACD-4EC2-8794-83E876105EEE.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	298784Here’s my Marlin, I have used it at a couple of my clubs Snubnose matches when I did the gangster schtick.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Finster: Does your A5 have the" two piece lifter?" If it doesn't you can retrofit one and get the "Speed Feed" function which makes the gun so much faster to load it is criminal. No tipping the gun upside down and holding the bolt release to load the magazine.

After Blowing the picture up I can see it appears to be an earlier gun? 1963 was the first year of the Speed Feed/ Two Piece Lifter. The parts to make the change are on Ebay frequently and it takes the Lifter and the Locking Block for the Bolt. These are bolt in parts, and the is no changes to the gun. This feature makes these guns not only competitive, but faster to operate than the Berettas and Benelli's. I beat them all with mine.

If you call Art's Gun Shop in Missouri, they can tell you exactly what to do and supply the parts as well. 1-636-944-3630.

He also has a video on Youtube on how to completely disassemble the A5 and it is well worth watching.

Hope this helps in making your gun all it could be.

Randy
    Randy, would you know off hand if the two piece lifter will fit the Remington Mod 11 Sportsman? I have a nice 20ga Sportsman made in 1935. I love the gun and would consider the upgrade if so.
    Thanks, Dave.
    Deplorable infidel

You would have to contact Art's Gun shop in Missouri and they could tell you. I'm pretty sure it would work on a 12 ga. gun but I don't know about 20's

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

The 12 goes by the bed, the 20 goes by the back door. I don't shoot competition, but I can still run an 870 pretty well. My real shorties are single shot 18" barrel "river rats".

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You would have to contact Art's Gun shop in Missouri and they could tell you. I'm pretty sure it would work on a 12 ga. gun but I don't know about 20's

Randy
    Thanks, I wrote his number down and I'll give him a call.
    Deplorable infidel