MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why no love/variety for ar-10

My ARMALITE AR10 collected dust while I shot 6.8SPC and 6.5Grendel AR15's

I recently sold it to a friend to fund another money pit hobby

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the weight of an AR-10 is there alright. I have one I built with a 22" bull barrel, and wood furniture like the beautiful Windham armory models. It's a beauty, and I love it, but it's heavy for sure! I wouldn't trade it off...

One of my other AR10's, I built with an A1 style rifle buttstock, and the A1 triangular handguard, but did away with the clunky FSB. I think it's a good looking gun too.

It didn't take much study to learn to avoid the fitment pitfalls of the AR10/LR308 platform for me. They are not fitment "idiot-proof" like the milspec AR15, but not too bad...

And I still appreciate the beauty of wood and blued steel conventional rifles too!

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    ...I recently sold it to a friend to fund another money pit hobby
    Wife's grandfather and father were both HAM operators. They had the old Heathkit stuff. Mostly 20m but some 160m.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have yet to meet anyone that has given the AR15 a fair shake that does not ultimately end up liking it. That's easy to understand since it's an erector set for adults.

i do!!!!!! i was in the US Army and only God knows how much i shot the m16a2!!! i also shot the m60e3 and e4, a little bit of the SAW, ak47, ak74, pps43, pkm, draganov, rpg7 and rpk.

the AR15 is just a continuation of the M16, but the AR15 is semi. the AR15's trigger assembly is smaller than M16 and you can't interchange them. why? the ar15 lower is skinnier trigger group than the M16, bolt is different and a whole bunch of holes and parts are different too ...basically.

my brother has a ar15(Diamond Back, i think) and also some of his friends. they don't use them anymore because of the cost of ammunition.

if it were me, i go to the SKS or at least the PSA KS-47. the 7.62x39 is nothing to laugh at either.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    i do!!!!!! i was in the US Army and only God knows how much i shot the m16a2!!! i also shot the m60e3 and e4, a little bit of the SAW, ak47, ak74, pps43, pkm, draganov, rpg7 and rpk.

the AR15 is just a continuation of the M16, but the AR15 is semi. the AR15's trigger assembly is smaller than M16 and you can't interchange them. why? the ar15 lower is skinnier trigger group than the M16, bolt is different and a whole bunch of holes and parts are different too ...basically.

my brother has a ar15(Diamond Back, i think) and also some of his friends. they don't use them anymore because of the cost of ammunition.

if it were me, i go to the SKS or at least the PSA KS-47. the 7.62x39 is nothing to laugh at either.
    Wow, hard to get that much misinformation in so few words. Everything in bold above is at best a misstatement.

When Colt first brought out the SP-1 for the civilian market COLT used non-standard sizes (large pin) so some GI parts did not fit. They also used a modified bolt carrier. At one time the BATF did not allow the FA designed bolt carrier to be used in the AR15. That has changed and almost all AR15 come with the FA bolt carrier.

All of the current non-Colt lowers use the same bolt carrier group, pin size and location as the M16 hammer and trigger. Currently Colt offers the standard GI small pin configuration on some models like the Colt LE 6920. Thru the years Colt did various things to prevent full auto parts to be dropped in. Currently AR15 lowers will take M-16 bolt carrier group, and trigger and hammer and pins and ALL OTHER PARTS other than the FA trigger parts are interchangeable.

The M16-A2 is only one of the many configurations that an AR15 comes in. Your claim ignores many options that allows the AR15 to achieve its full potential.

As to ammo cost cheap Russian ammo has not been imported for years. .223/5.56 ammo is about the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo currently available.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-12-2022 at 07:42 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that post blew me away too. I'm glad you addressed it so I didn't have to do all the typing.

I have no idea where he got all his erroneous ideas, but then this IS the internet...

;~)

I don't know if this is true, but I imagine it is: Supposedly if you drill the famous "Third Hole" in the lower receiver for the full auto disconnect sear, the "AFT" then considers your gun an illegal machine gun!! Imagine; $250,000.00 fine, and 10 years in jail, for drilling a hole!! (And no guns for you ever again when you get out!!)

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 04-12-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just what (WHAT!?), would the "AFT" have for a mission if they made full auto guns legal again? Actually go back to being "Revenuers"? Or just chase little kids for their explosive caps??

Doubling their budget now... protect your dogs!!!

;~)

Vettepilot

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Yeah, that post blew me away too. I'm glad you addressed it so I didn't have to do all the typing.

I have no idea where he got all his erroneous ideas, but then this IS the internet...

;~)

I don't know if this is true, but I imagine it is: Supposedly if you drill the famous "Third Hole" in the lower receiver for the full auto disconnect sear, the "AFT" then considers your gun an illegal machine gun!! Imagine; $250,000.00 fine, and 10 years in jail, for drilling a hole!! (And no guns for you ever again when you get out!!)

Vettepilot
    Yes adding the hole on a AR15 lower for the auto sear is deemed converting a lower to FA. Can't have the auto sear hole but you can use all other parts in the AR15 legally.

A good pic of the additional machining a full auto lower requires here https://www.80percentarms.com/blog/a...he-difference/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-12-2022 at 10:57 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m glad I scratched my AR10 itch when Trump was in office. I put together 2, 243’s for $560 ea before upgrades(scopes, scope mounts, and triggers). I put 2.5 pound CMC triggers on both. They are the ones in the middle and left. Both with shoot .3’s with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip and 60 grain vmaxs. Loads are approximately 2/10’s of grain above max book loads and over 4000 fps. Put them together for coyote hunting in AZ. Neither of the heavy logs have made it into the woods yet becauseI prefer a shotgun or light weight bolt gun over them. Never been a fan of the AR but had to scratch the 243 itch.
    I put 2 together for the cost of half of what one
    Would normally sell for years ago.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-13-2022 at 07:53 AM.

"That's easy to understand since it's an erector set for adults."

But I have no interest in Erector sets. Left mine behind back in the mid 60's.

AR10 in .308, well IMO the .308 is a much more capable round than the typical 5.56;.223rem. Yes the ammo & gun weigh more.
    But with a good AR10 and .308 how often are you going to need more than 50 rounds if you are shooting single aimed shots not spray and pray?

And what caliber would you replace the .308 with that gives you such a wide range of options, speed, and hitting power at range?

Now personally I don't have one as everybody and their mothers brother has an 06, .270, or .308. So I find them kind of boring snoring.
    But IMO the .308 is extremely capable. What caliber can compete?

And just how many do you think they could sell? Takes thousands of sales to make back R&D money spent.

Way I see it if you have an AR-10 in .308 it is just a question of customizing ammo to what you intend to use it for.

Now I'll admit I do not have an AR-15 or an AR-10 so perhaps my opinion is not valid in your opinion. If that is the case, that is fine.
    Erector sets are fine for those who love them, who desire to play gun gadget extreme. With lots of money spent on various parts, sights, BCG's and barrels.

Me for the same money I'd rather have a half dozen single shot H&R's in a variety of calibers, mostly Pistol caliber carbines.
    9mm, .367mag, .44mag (x2) .444marlin, .45 long Colt.

Granted I do spend a bit more on sights/scopes and molds.
    But I'm happy with the choices I've made.
    If your not, you might want to look outside the AR box.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Banned
    i'm sorry M-Tecs, but i'm right.

Boolit Master

You're looking at internal lower parts. Yes, they are different - but a goodly portion of the AR 15 lowers are quite compatible with all of the versions you pictured.
    I actually agree with you both, there are differences between select fire and semi auto AR platforms, but creating one from the other is not difficult.
    My first AR was an Iraqi training weapon that had been de-mil'd. It had a "third hole" that was crudely closed with a somewhat fitting screw that had the head ground off. I turned that thing into every cartridge that I could afford an upper for. It currently lives as the lower for a can cannon for the local baseball team.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

No your claim was

Yes the full auto fire control group is different. That is why it is FA. The FA lower also requires an additional hole and clearance machined for some of the FA parts. All of the AR15 parts listed in the diagram will drop into an M16. Per your claim of different hole sizes and location that should not be possible???????? Even on the odd sized Colt's the hole locations are the same.

NEVER claimed the FA and semi-auto parts were the same. Your claims that that the pin sizes, hole locations and a whole bunch of holes and parts are different too is not correct. As stated Colt did use some non mil-spec parts sizes for trigger and takedown pins.

https://www.handlebar-online.com/pop...rting%20rifles.

Colt also used sear blocks for awhile https://geissele.com/colt-rifle-users-guide

Colt with the SP-1 used the modified bolt carrier and in some later models. At one time it was believed using a FA carrier in an AR15 lower was not legal. The BATF determined the FA carrier was legal in the AR's. Currently you will have a very hard time finding the Colt modified style carrier since almost all the AR's use the FA style carrier group.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-1...er-groups.html

My Krieger Milazzo and Geissele match triggers worked just fine in the issued M-16 lowers. https://geissele.com/faq

Below is a good tutorial of the differences. The info on the bolt carry groups is very dated since almost everyone is using the FA style not the Colt style AR15 bolt carrier. When the BATF ruled FA bolt carriers were legal I switched mine out since the extra weight of the FA group is easier on brass with the heavy bullet used in NRA Highpower competitions.

https://www.ar15.com/guides/files/le...x.html?gid=189
    Colt has made a number of modifications over the years to their AR-15 lower receivers to minimize the possibility of "misplaced" M16 parts, but on most non-Colt rifles, M16 parts will fit in place of the semi-auto parts. Let's look at these in detail:
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-13-2022 at 08:07 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    "That's easy to understand since it's an erector set for adults."

But I have no interest in Erector sets. Left mine behind back in the mid 60's.

AR10 in .308, well IMO the .308 is a much more capable round than the typical 5.56;.223rem. Yes the ammo & gun weigh more.
    But with a good AR10 and .308 how often are you going to need more than 50 rounds if you are shooting single aimed shots not spray and pray?

And what caliber would you replace the .308 with that gives you such a wide range of options, speed, and hitting power at range?

Now personally I don't have one as everybody and their mothers brother has an 06, .270, or .308. So I find them kind of boring snoring.
    But IMO the .308 is extremely capable. What caliber can compete?

And just how many do you think they could sell? Takes thousands of sales to make back R&D money spent.

Way I see it if you have an AR-10 in .308 it is just a question of customizing ammo to what you intend to use it for.

Now I'll admit I do not have an AR-15 or an AR-10 so perhaps my opinion is not valid in your opinion. If that is the case, that is fine.
    Erector sets are fine for those who love them, who desire to play gun gadget extreme. With lots of money spent on various parts, sights, BCG's and barrels.

Me for the same money I'd rather have a half dozen single shot H&R's in a variety of calibers, mostly Pistol caliber carbines.
    9mm, .367mag, .44mag (x2) .444marlin, .45 long Colt.

Granted I do spend a bit more on sights/scopes and molds.
    But I'm happy with the choices I've made.
    If your not, you might want to look outside the AR box.
    I would buy more H & R single shots if they still made them, actually. I have one that I customized with a Boyd's stock, added a Red Dot mount, modified it for screw in chokes, etc. I really like it. It's a 12 gauge, and I have adapters to shoot both 9mm, and 45-70 out of it.

My current AR10's are 243 and 308. I'm going to build one more, and would like to build it in the most powerful caliber that will fit the original spec receivers. Man! I wish they were long actions instead of the shorter, 308 length. I would love to do an AR platform in something like 300 Winmag.

Just for "Sh-i-t-s and giggles"...

Vettepilotl.
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 04-13-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    My first AR was an Iraqi training weapon that had been de-mil'd. It had a "third hole" that was crudely closed with a somewhat fitting screw that had the head ground off. I turned that thing into every cartridge that I could afford an upper for. It currently lives as the lower for a can cannon for the local baseball team.

Unless the de-milling rendered it inoperable that lower is still an NFA item providing is started as a FA or burst fire. That is why there are no surplus M-14's. I have read TRW did make a small number of semi-auto only receivers.

Even the M&K Specialty rewelds that had all the full auto items milled off later had to be turned in. Three of my friends purchased them and later the BATF came for them. Some other companies did rewelds and they are lettered per the BATF so they should be legal but they must have the letter from the BATF.

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...ary%20markings.

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=268863
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-13-2022 at 03:27 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Unless the de-milling rendered it inoperable that lower is still an NFA item providing is started as a FA or burst fire. That is why there are no surplus M-14's. I have read TRW did make a small number of semi-auto only receivers.

Even the M&K Specialty rewelds that had all the full auto items milled off later had to be turned in. Three of my friends purchased them and later the BATF came for them. Some other companies did rewelds and they are lettered per the BATF so they should be legal but they must have the letter from the BATF.

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...ary%20markings.

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=268863
    You're not wrong, I believe that these were never select fire in the first place. A number of them showed up after Iraq had been going for several years. The lower is.... different to say the least. I purchased it from a regular FFL and they had several there. I did run it by an ATF agent several years ago and there wasn't anything there that was any different than an AR lower.

Boolit Master
    I would buy more H & R single shots if they still made them, actually. I have one that I customized with a Boyd's stock, added a Red Dot mount, modified it for screw in chokes, etc. I really like it. It's a 12 gauge, and I have adapters to shoot both 9mm, and 45-70 out of it.

My current AR10's are 243 and 308. I'm going to build one more, and would like to build it in the most powerful caliber that will fit the original spec receivers. Man! I wish they were long actions instead of the shorter, 308 length. I would love to do an AR platform in something like 300 Winmag.

Just for "Sh-i-t-s and giggles"...

Vettepilotl.
    I've got an AR-10 in 300 SAUM. I'm sure someone could split hairs, but for all intents and purposes it is a whoppin' ought six. Definitely not the one I grab for extended shooting sessions.
    It is loud beyond loud!!!

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... that might be an interesting option. A 300 RSAUM, or 300 WSM. I'll look into those.

Any other ideas? Is there a short 338 magnum? That would be cool, as I already stock projectiles for my 338 Lapua Magnum.

I'm one of the guys that never went "all in" on the 308 Win, feeling that it gave up power to the 30.06. People say, "Oh, but with modern powders and projectiles, 308 Win can match 30.06!" What?? You think I can't use those same powders and projectiles in my old 30.06, and keep it ahead?? Tee hee...

So, yeah, I tend to be like Tim Allen. "MORE POWER!!" AAARRGGH!

;~)

Thanks for the idea(s)!! (And keep 'em coming please!)

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... that might be an interesting option. A 300 RSAUM, or 300 WSM. I'll look into those.

Any other ideas? Is there a short 338 magnum? That would be cool, as I already stock projectiles for my 338 Lapua Magnum.

I'm one of the guys that never went "all in" on the 308 Win, feeling that it gave up power to the 30.06. People say, "Oh, but with modern powders and projectiles, 308 Win can match 30.06!" What?? You think I can't use those same powders and projectiles in my old 30.06, and keep it ahead?? Tee hee...

So, yeah, I tend to be like Tim Allen. "MORE POWER!!" AAARRGGH!

;~)

Thanks for the idea(s)!! (And keep 'em coming please!)

Vettepilot
    This is going to sound like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I would lean towards the 300 WSM. I think that the SAUM and WSM are near equivalent, but WSM brass is far more commonly found than SAUM. I received a HUGE amount of brass and loaded ammunition with the rifle I have, or I likely would have gone for the WSM.
    There is a wildcat 338 WSM, and the original designer of the SAUM cartridges had a 338 in the works. My brother has a work mate that has an AR in 325 WSM that he loves, and that is definitely a thumper in a semi auto platform!!

Boolit Master
    All good info, and thanks again. Yeah, I was already leaning towards the 300 WSM, just because it's apparently a touch more powerful than the 300 RSAUM.

It's silly, but I do like the Remington name. "300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum!" Cool!

;~)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast