Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why no love/variety for ar-10

Boolit Master

Why no love/variety for ar-10

I hope this is the right place here...

Why not much love/variety for the AR-10/LR 308 platform by the vendors, as regards interesting calibers?? I suppose it's because there's not as huge a market as the AR-15, but still, there would be a market I feel.

Just for fun, I've built/collected many of the oddball AR-15 calibers. 7.62x39, 350 Legend, 50 Beowulf, etc. FUN! In the AR-10 (LR-308) platform, I've built 243 and 308. I would like to build one more. (Not interested in the Creedmoor.)

With the wild offerings in the AR-15, like 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, and 50 Beowulf, it would be fun to have something seriously more impressive than the 308 in an AR-10. But the manufacturers jump up into 300 Win Mag, 45-70 Government, 338 Lapua, etc., which all take UBER expensive propietary upper and lower receivers, etc. Can't go there myself... I would love to have one of those in an AR-10, but it's just not in the budget.

Bummer!!

Any ideas? One of the "Raptors"??

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Bottom line is that the market is a lot smaller. AR-10 platforms are heavier, less modular and compatible with various vendor parts, as well as significantly more expensive to shoot.
    I personally don't find them as fun as other platforms, and mine have always been picky with loads and ammunition.
    I have seen them offered in a huge variety of cartridges (460 Weatherby by one boutique builder!!!) But when you get into the magnum calibers the weight goes up and definitely the price.
    Yes I have owned and do own AR-10 rifles - but I have others that see the light of day a lot more.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I hear ya, and you're right. But it's still fun to collect interesting guns and shoot them, even if less often in some cases. It's a hobby. Can't hang out in bars any more, and finally learned to stop chasing women...

No matter what you spend on guns, it won't "hold a candle" to what women will cost ya!

Anyone have experience with those 375 or 425 Raptors?

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy

I have an AR-10 in 308. Great gun Also have a 458 Socom and really enjoy it. Friends call it the "Buck Hammer" GW

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    I would love to have one of those in an AR-10, but it's just not in the budget.
    Looks like you answered your own question bro.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

With a .338 Federal or .358 Winchester AR10, your payload is finally catching up with the guns weight.
    In my opinion.
    I also think that most AR15s are too heavy for their cartridge.( 5.56, .224 Val, 22 Nosler, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, .300BO)
    Again, my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I considered buying one some 25 years ago. I did my research on available rifles in that class. When I reached for my wallet, a SA M1a followed me home.
    https://gundigest.com/military-firea...e-of-the-ar-10
    Deplorable infidel

I'm building a .358 but progress has stalled due to budget

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Bottom line is that the market is a lot smaller. AR-10 platforms are heavier, less modular and compatible with various vendor parts, as well as significantly more expensive to shoot.
    I personally don't find them as fun as other platforms, and mine have always been picky with loads and ammunition.
    I have seen them offered in a huge variety of cartridges (460 Weatherby by one boutique builder!!!) But when you get into the magnum calibers the weight goes up and definitely the price.
    Yes I have owned and do own AR-10 rifles - but I have others that see the light of day a lot more.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Nailed it.

Too heavy and too expensive.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Why don't AR-10 manufacturers offer more calibers? I'm guessing the vast majority of AR-10 purchasers are looking for a 7.62 NATO battle rifle, buy their ammo by the can instead the box, and have no use for "sporting" calibers. The remaining market left is so small that it's not economical to tool up for target or hunting rounds.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Fun as they can be, the autoloading "battle rifle" concept was ultimately a failure born mainly out of the myth of American marksmanship. While it could be said that the Germans figured out the intermediate cartridge firepower advantages with the 7.92x33, and the Russians picked up the ball and ran with the 7.62x39, it could be said that George Custer and his Trapdoor Springfields getting decimated by a bunch of Henrys and '66 Winchesters was the real writing on the wall.

The AR-10, M14, FAL, and G3 were all pretty heavy beasts that weren't controllable on full auto. Other than some recoil reduction, rounds larger than .308 aren't going to gain much rate of fire advantage over a lighter, stronger, more accurate bolt gun.

My big problem with the .308 is that the guns and action lengths were cooked up around the 150 grain ball round, and ONLY the 150 grain ball round. The result is that your mags are too short for a long VLD-type bullet unless that bullet is seated so deep it intrudes on your powder capacity. Necking UP to .338 or .358 can work well, but necking down just runs into the same length problem - only worse.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

That is going to come as quite a surprise to all the M110 SASS's, SR-25's, M 21's, M14 EBR's, M14 DMR's, and M14 EMR's firing M118 173 grain Special Ball and M118LR 175 grain Sierra's in combat and competitions.

While the AR 10 platform is less popular than the AR15 due to weight and balance issue the available calibers for the AR 10 platform are numerous. Just some are the 22-250, 220 Swift, all of various short Mags, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5/284 Norma, 7mm-08 Rem, 284 Win, 308 Win, 338 Federal, 358 Win, 45-70 Auto, 475 Bishop Short Magnum and the .500 Auto Max.

Just from Accuracy systems you can get the following https://www.ar-10-rifles.com/

Here are a few of the available calibers we offer for the AR 10 conversions:
    22-250 Remington
    243 Winchester
    6MM Creedmoor
    257 Roberts
    257 Roberts Ackley Improved
    260 Remington
    6.5 Creedmoor
    7MM 08 Remington
    7MM SAUM
    7MM WSM
    284 Winchester
    308 Winchester
    7.62 x 51 MM NATO
    308 Winchester Match
    300 Savage
    300 SAUM
    300 WSM
    325 WSM
    338 Federal
    358 Winchester
    450 Marlin
    * If you want a caliber not seen here just ask for it and we will let you know if we can do it.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-08-2022 at 03:49 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I can answer why I don't care about them, but I'm not everyone. I don't care about looks nearly as much as many people. When I was looking into 308 semi-auto rifles, I looked at a lot of AR-10's. The AR's are the least expensive semi-auto 308 battle rifle I know of, at least some are, some are just fat AR15's. Anyone looking for lower cost I would think would have no problem going to a 7.62x39 in an SKS or AK. When you get into what you want to do with it, 308 rifles are kind of specialized. In my case, I wanted a traditional stock, and good sights. An AR has neither. You can put sights on an AR, but there's nothing that will put them in the realm of an M1/M14. The FN FAL has better sights than anything you can clamp on an AR, and it really comes back to that stock. Some people like the stocks. I never warmed up to an AR stock. I hate carrying them hunting, and I'm not that enthralled shooting them. They allow great control over the rifle, that's about it. Then there is the interchangeability. Every AR-10 I looked at was unique. A lot of times, not even the magazines will interchange. While no 308 will match the AR-15 in this regard, it seems clear to me the AR-10 is the worst of the 308s for this. Because of that, you never really know what you are getting unless you research every brand.

Looking at other similar rifles, I don't see a big draw to an AR10. They are definitely popular though, since a lot of people value accuracy at a low cost over all else. The M14 and FAL are pretty dang accurate anyway. Once you get up in cost, I don't see much for an AR10, that a SCAR doesn't do better.

The best way I can say it is that in a field full of big, reliable, work horses, the AR10 is a pony. A super accurate pony.

Boolit Grand Master

Any of the flat top AR15's or AR10's will accept the Weaver or Picatinny style match sights or any optics. Some examples of higher end iron sights here

http://www.champchoice.com/store/mai...yBody&c=OPSICE

https://phoenixprec.com/

The sight systems for the AR15 and AR10 are way more versatile than the M-14/M1A or FN FAL rifles.

It's very true that if you put the low cost plastic or Chinese junk sights on your AR you got what you paid for. The AR Picatinny rail system will accepts the finest sights in the world be it iron or optics.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-08-2022 at 03:29 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    I hear ya, and you're right. But it's still fun to collect interesting guns and shoot them, even if less often in some cases. It's a hobby. Can't hang out in bars any more, and finally learned to stop chasing women...

No matter what you spend on guns, it won't "hold a candle" to what women will cost ya!

Anyone have experience with those 375 or 425 Raptors?

Vettepilot
    Still chase them, just can't catch them.

What kept me away from a AR-10 is my M1 Garand. IMO it's hard to beat as a 30 cal AR. Shooting High Power the Garand shooters were usually the first ones to start shooting after the reload because they are so quick to reload in the rapid fire portions of the match.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    If I ever considered a 'black' rifle it would probably be an AR10. Don't really care for the 'short' cartridges in the AR15. And, yes, it would be in .308 or whatever new cartridge the military decides on.

I wouldn't mind a SCAR but the price is way too high for me. Same with a good M1A or FAL.

I already have a Garand so I don't see one in my future anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Any of the flat top AR15's or AR10's will accept the Weaver or Picatinny style match sights or any optics. Some examples of higher end iron sights here

http://www.champchoice.com/store/mai...yBody&c=OPSICE

https://phoenixprec.com/

The sight systems for the AR15 and AR10 are way more versatile than the M-14/M1A or FN FAL rifles.

It's very true that if you put the low cost plastic or Chinese junk sights on your AR you got what you paid for. The AR Picatinny rail system will accepts the finest sights in the world be it iron or optics.
    While it's true you can clamp good sights on them, they are not nice to use. It all comes down to the ergonomics of the AR's. The stock design just isn't that great. I'm sure I could monkey around and and get it to work really well. Or just use an M14/M1A that was designed for sights to begin with.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    While it's true you can clamp good sights on them, they are not nice to use. It all comes down to the ergonomics of the AR's. The stock design just isn't that great. I'm sure I could monkey around and and get it to work really well. Or just use an M14/M1A that was designed for sights to begin with.
    Each to there own but the A2 stocks and Service/match sights work very well for me and most others. If the standard stock doesn't work for someone the modular design allows for a swap out with a design that will. The AR platform is the most adaptable and flexible service rifle platform that I am aware of.

I went Distinguished with the M-14, I've built a lot of them and I love them. That doesn't change the fact that modularity and the flexibility of the AR platform has changed firearms as we know them. The chassis systems for the bolt guns have their origins from AR Match rifles accessories.

I've been shooting Service Rifle and Match rifle competition since the mid 80's and that is the first time I have every heard the claim that match rifle sights are not nice to use. What is not nice about them?

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I was one of those who started with the M14. Could never 'warm up' to an AR of any type. Just didn't feel right. Then I got to shoot one that I could adjust properly and I discovered why all the competition folks are using chassis type systems. Just set up the sights on the gun, adjust cheek and stock length/height/tilt and you have a perfect fit. It may still feel a bit weird, not being cheek on wood, but, it works really well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast