RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Bullet Master for rounballs

Boolit Buddy

Bullet Master for rounballs

Anyone with experience on the matter? I'm running a casting business and cast a lot of handgun bullets, and I get a lot of questions regarding round balls for black powder shooting, mainly ø454.

My concern is to get proper fillout with pure lead.

Another matter is that lately Magma is impossible to get hold of via email.

Thanks!

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    What does the commercial casters do when producing round balls?

Boolit Grand Master
    I would assume swage. Just a guess.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    What does the commercial casters do when producing round balls?

If you're referring to Hornady and Speer, they swage their round balls.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    What I'm really asking is what kind of equipment that's evailibale for a small casting company, like mine, to produce round balls. For almost all my handgun bullets I make, I use my Magma Bullet Master. For some low volume casting I use my NVM Mark-X hand cranked caster. I have some moulds for it made by Accuratemolds.com, but they don't make round balls

I'm a one mane operation, and does not have time to hand cast. If nothing else is available a couple of big gang moulds could be considered

Boolit Master

Round balls are generally easy to cast. Generally you will be using a softer more pure alloy like 1:40 or 1:20. Increase your alloy temperature.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    Round balls are generally easy to cast. Generally you will be using a softer more pure alloy like 1:40 or 1:20. Increase your alloy temperature.
    In small numbers, yes. How about 20 000 in a day?

Boolit Bub
    I would think it wouldn’t be any issues to cast them on a bullet master. Just run them like you normally do any other bullet

Boolit Master
    I got moulds from a guy that used to do commercial casting had some round balls, he ran bullet masters and obviously didn't have issues with fill out. Most moulds were lyman modified to take magma mounts though.

Sadly i don't have a set of round balls, i think i have 2 or 3 moulds.

If using pure lead, some tin can be added without making the lead too hard. This will help with fill out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok. Thanks.

The guys over at Magma are not easy to get hold of these days. It looks like they don't have anyone in the office any more to answer mails. When Elisabeth was there she always answered within a day or two.

Does anyone know anything about their situation?

Since English is not my first language, I'm more comfortable with sending an Emil than picking up my phone and call.

Running a casting company, it's essential to get spare parts for the machines. They are sturdy machines, but things happen and parts are occasionally needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    Ok. Thanks.

The guys over at Magma are not easy to get hold of these days. It looks like they don't have anyone in the office any more to answer mails. When Elisabeth was there she always answered within a day or two.

Does anyone know anything about their situation?

Since English is not my first language, I'm more comfortable with sending an Emil than picking up my phone and call.

Running a casting company, it's essential to get spare parts for the machines. They are sturdy machines, but things happen and parts are occasionally needed.

Magma is a pretty small shop, less than 10 employee's last time I heard. The panic buying the last two years has done the same thing to them as everybody else, supply chain and being able to hire top the list.
    As far as round balls on a master caster or bullet master, Lyman's converted or Magma's molds are your best shot. RCBS and Saeco have to have some milling done to run on Magma machines. 20,000 a day???? maybe on a bullet master, and that would take 5 hours with eight molds.
    Tony