Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 colt Cowboy Loads

Boolit Buddy
    I remember back in the 1980's when cowboy action shooting first started most were using standard full power ammo. 45 colt and a 250 gr bullet at 900fps or so. Quickly changed though as folks loaded down ammo to game the system, losing the true sprit IMHO. What self respecting cowboy would choose 45 colt ammo with a 160gr bullet at 600fps when he could get a 250gr at 900fps. I think a minimum power factor of 160 (still fairly wimpy) for handgun ammo and 225 for rifles would make it more interesting. Then we could see how good they are shooting "real ammo".

Boolit Mold
    I've been out of the cowboy game for a couple of decades (early to mid 90's) and I miss it ...sometimes al Lot. However, when I was playing (SASS Badge no. 3835), my tools included two stainless Ruger Vaqueros (4 5/8") and a short barreled Model 94. I lived in the heart of the action back then (Ontario, CA) and attended the monthly matches held at Rahauges (never could spell it) ranges and every other match I could find within a days roundtrip drive. My preferred load for both revolvers and rifle was Red Dot - 6.2grns; Win. Large Pistol primer; 230 gr. Lead SC; OAL : 1.58”. Velocity: 700 fps – 800 fps (approx.); with Starline brass. It is a very reliable and accurate load with moderate recoil and enough power to put the poppers down with authority. I loaded and fired approx. 2,500 rds per year.

I sold all of my equipment years ago but, still use this load in a Pietta 1858 replica with a .45 Colt conversion cylinder. Loads of fun to shoot.
    Last edited by rowdyjoe; 04-09-2022 at 07:55 PM.
    RJ

NRA Life
    TSRA

Boolit Man
    I have two uberti 1858 Remington clones and use them with cap and ball, there is just something about that blackpowder cloud when firing double fisted��. I am really looking forward to these 1873 ubertis, my two teenage sons get more excited to shoot the old western guns than the newer stuff, I think they enjoy holding a piece of America's old west history in their hands.

Boolit Mold
    Ditto on the 1858 with BP. Soooo much fun and it draws a crowd at the range. I have two BP cylinders and if I fire them back to back without cleaning, it almost locks up from the crud build up. I've been using Goex fff and it works very well but, cleanup is needed about every 10 or 12 rounds. I may be forced to start using a substitute (oh, the blasphemy ) but, I'm told it's much cleaner to shoot ?

I'm sure you and the boys will love the 1873 Ubertis. It is a very pleasant educational experience.

I also have a .50 cal. Hawken replica BP percussion rifle made by CVA. I've re-barreled it and installed a new lock mechanism and tuned a load that produces a slightly less than 2" group at 100 yds from a bench, providing I do my part. Again, using Goex fff, it kicks like a mule when loaded with 70 grns of powder. I need to reduce that load to prevent dislocation of body parts. At my age, it doesn't take much to dislodge a shoulder joint.
    RJ

NRA Life
    TSRA

Boolit Mold
    Try various bullet weights if what you start with shoots above or below your point of aim. With the lack of Trailboss I've been using HS6 with 250gr. rnfp. Starting loads will still give mild recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Brown View Post
    Try various bullet weights if what you start with shoots above or below your point of aim. With the lack of Trailboss I've been using HS6 with 250gr. rnfp. Starting loads will still give mild recoil.
    If you're like me, I miss Trail Boss

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
    I've been out of the cowboy game for a couple of decades (early to mid 90's) and I miss it ...sometimes al Lot. However, when I was playing (SASS Badge no. 3835), my tools included two stainless Ruger Vaqueros (4 5/8") and a short barreled Model 94. I lived in the heart of the action back then (Ontario, CA) and attended the monthly matches held at Rahauges (never could spell it) ranges and every other match I could find within a days roundtrip drive. My preferred load for both revolvers and rifle was Red Dot - 6.2grns; Win. Large Pistol primer; 230 gr. Lead SC; OAL : 1.58”. Velocity: 700 fps – 800 fps (approx.); with Starline brass. It is a very reliable and accurate load with moderate recoil and enough power to put the poppers down with authority. I loaded and fired approx. 2,500 rds per year.

I sold all of my equipment years ago but, still use this load in a Pietta 1858 replica with a .45 Colt conversion cylinder. Loads of fun to shoot.
    I'm with you on the load... my Pietta 1858 replica with a .45 Colt conversion cylinder, Unique 6.0 grains, Win Large Pistol primer for Standard or Magnum (for the extra flame time), Missouri Bullet Co. Cowboy #9 255 grain SWC, .452 diameter
    Last edited by 200grain; 04-15-2022 at 02:40 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought 3, 9 oz cans of trail boss last fall for $21.99 before the stupidity started. I load up 5.2 grains, a lee 255 grain PC boolit, and a magnum primer. I also load them long to the bottom groove. The load averages 585 fps and stacks my boolits on top of each other at 25 yards. Recoils like a 22WMR.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-15-2022 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Man
    Thats the same results I got with WIN 231, 6 grains and it chronoed around 550-570 fps and seemed fairly accurate. Alot of soot on the cases, I will bump up another .5 gr and see how things go.

Boolit Master
    For years all I shot in my two Uberti SAA clones was 6.7gr WW231 under the Lee 452-255-RF bullet. It chronographed 775 ft/sec for me and was a perfect fun load. I recently bought the 200 grain version of the same bullet and obviously it would recoil less but haven't even heated the mold yet.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    For years all I shot in my two Uberti SAA clones was 6.7gr WW231 under the Lee 452-255-RF bullet. It chronographed 775 ft/sec for me and was a perfect fun load. I recently bought the 200 grain version of the same bullet and obviously it would recoil less but haven't even heated the mold yet.
    I just molded up some RCBS 452-200 SWC that I am going to try over some 231, guessing somwhere between 6-7 grains will be the ticket. Would like to have a little less soot

Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    .....I do have a bunch of 2400/4350/3031/231.....
    Winchester 231 is a good, light load fast burning pistol powder. Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP38 are the exact same powder. This is a fact. They are the same powder with different labels on the jug.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found 231/HP38 to remain sooty until pressures get pretty high, at least above 25 kpsi. I would look for something faster, like Red Dot or 700X.

Boolit Buddy
    My cowboy load for .45 is 6 grns Clays behind a 230 Grain SAECO Cowboy bullet (sort of a round nose flat point). Good for about 650 fps. Never wanted to go any lighter in bullet weight because I make fun of other guys doing that

I generally use 200 gr rnfp in my revolvers [also run the same bullet in my 45 pcc’s, 1911s and a Thompson]. My Marlins only like the heavier slugs so 225-255 swc work in them. I use Dot powders usually, Clays, Clay Dot, Red dot. I do have some 160 rnfp that are easier on my arthritic knuckles. My sass # 11754 so I’ve shot more than a few shoots. At 71 I still compete.

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    I have found 231/HP38 to remain sooty until pressures get pretty high, at least above 25 kpsi. I would look for something faster, like Red Dot or 700X.
    4.9 grains 700X and Lees 200 RF bullet in both my colt cowboys and my repro Burgess rifle. It’s a starting load and my WW cases are only slightly sooty. I am going to switch to Remington cases for maybe better expansion. Starting loads are a perfectly good place to start. Another shooter borrowed me some of his trail boss loads that he went below suggested starting grains and the primers were backing out in my gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12