Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swedish RB 8x58RD conversion to 45 colt?

Boolit Bub
    sometimes are such corroded that isnt possible...

Boolit Master

Swedish 1889 barrel mfg 1891.

Swedish 1867 barrel mfg 1874.

Boolit Bub
    very strange thread, its 1" - 20 UNEF???
    Please how did you demount/disassemble barrel from a breech block, and still dont know how to remove the secure pin which is placed on a left side at the breech block?
    Thank you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mira View Post
    very strange thread, its 1" - 20 UNEF???
    Please how did you demount/disassemble barrel from a breech block, and still dont know how to remove the secure pin which is placed on a left side at the breech block?
    Thank you.
    I don't know what pin you are talking about.

A receiver wrench and a milling vise is how I took it apart.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-26-2023 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Bub
    look at the pocture https://www.gunboards.com/threads/re...e-1867.183925/, the picture is from Aug 15, 2010, - there is a breech block and the screw (is on the top of left side), and upgraded 89 breech block has insteed this screw a pin, it is almost invisible because it is grinded together with the surface of breech block.
    So my question is what is the screw at old breech block(and also what is the pin at the 89 breech block).
    Thank you for the picture.
    Mira

Boolit Master

look at the pocture https://www.gunboards.com/threads/re...e-1867.183925/, the picture is from Aug 15, 2010, - there is a breech block and the screw (is on the top of left side), and upgraded 89 breech block has insteed this screw a pin, it is almost invisible because it is grinded together with the surface of breech block.
    So my question is what is the screw at old breech block(and also what is the pin at the 89 breech block).
    Thank you for the picture.
    Mira
    Sorry, I cannot identify your problem and I'm not going to take any more time to figure it out.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    I suggest you download De Haas book (its free now,I think) and do some research ......many RBs had a lever fitted to the block to keep the firing pin retracted/free .....In any case ,there is no need to remove anything from the block unless there is a breakage ........Before you try to unscrew the barrel ,be absolutely certain there is no extractor parts remaining in place that will jam every thing up.

Boolit Master
    Mira, a screw was used to secure the sliding cartridge extractor on the old 1867 model. When converted to the 8x58R model 89, the screw hole was plugged and the screw head was ground flush with the surface of the action. The updated 89 action used a rotating extractor, which required a new screw located under the forward breech block pin. I have never removed the barrel from a model 89, but I don't believe the ground off screw, or pin needs to be removed to unscrew the barrel.

Boolit Bub
    Bingo, thank you Gewehr-Guy, it is it what I ment.

So nobody knows if I must this plug screw out (pull out) before I start to dismantle breech block and the barrel (from Swedish RB 89)?

Boolit Mold
    Bingo, thank you Gewehr-Guy, it is it what I ment.

So nobody knows if I must this plug screw out (pull out) before I start to dismantle breech block and the barrel (from Swedish RB 89)?
    If your receiver still has a sliding extractor it must be removed
    If it has the later rotary “crescent” style extractor there is no screw - it was plugged.

Boolit Mold
    You are correct

Boolit Bub
    so the barrel is already pulled out from the breech block and the breech block will be reinforced (very sensible by laser welding) in the near future.
    I measured also the barrel bore and it has 7,95-7,96/8,21-8,22, so worn ca.0,05-0,06mm (orig. cal. is .323 so 7,90/8,22).
    So my question what the condition is the barrel, (is 0,05mm a lot of wear)?
    Last edited by mira; 04-16-2023 at 06:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12