MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 700X favorite loads for handguns?

Boolit Master
    It's not terrific for magnum loads, but it works really fine for middlin' revolver rounds and .45 auto. MY general purpose load was 4.6/700X/230 LRN. I later swapped the 230 LRN for 200 gr. RNFPs, and lost nothing in the trade. This powder is among the cleanest-burning I've ever used in .45 ACP.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I like it alot! It’s also cheaper than everything else. Shoots good for me.

I load it in 9, 38/357, 45.

9.0 gr with 250 gr mp 432-640 hp in 44 mag is my favorite h&r load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I ended up with a bunch of it as well. Works great in the .357 and .45acp. Load them with the measure on the press. Some variation in weight but still shoots well, especially with moderate heavy bullet loads.

Not so great in my 9mm. Seems the little case is a bit more sensitive to charge variation. If I weighed the charges it worked OK. Toss from a measure not so much. So, I reserve the ball powders for the 9mm.

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA
    Great guys, very encouraging. Since most of my "other" pistol powders are down to about a pound each, I will start utilizing this. Can use what bullseye I have for specific loads or possible mouse fart rifle, 2400 and Unique for the midrange to upper, and the 4227 and 110 for fire breathing. I can learn to love 700x I bet with this much to burn, especially since I don't trap shoot anymore.

Got a bunch of 700X. Here's a very early stainless Caspian frame,Colt commander slide,ported barrel.... lots of smith time on this one. Have it lightly sprung(made my own 1911 spring checker) and with the porting,well it has to be one of the most fun gun/powder combos here. The H$G mould is nice but this rig actually does noticeably better with the Lyman 452488/700X.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20220409-165455_Gallery.jpg  

As others have said, it measures like corn flakes, but my Dillon throws consistent charges with it. A lot depends on the measure. I’m still in the Experimental stage, but I just loaded .45 ACP/200SWC and .40 S&W/165 FMJ, both with 4.5 grains. Both these loads a re said to be very accurate, we’ll see in a day or two.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I like it in .38 midrange loads also .44 spl. .45 auto rim and .45 cap . Meters fine for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe le PewPew View Post
    Guys my dad just told me he has 22lbs of 700X I can use.
    I’ve never used it except for shotgun.
    We reload for 9mm, 38spcl, 357 mag, 40s&w, 41spcl, 41mag, 44spcl, 44mag, 45acp.

Any guidance, favorite loads, etc much appreciated.
    BTW all done on single stage, and if doesn’t meter too well can weigh it no biggy.
    Thx!
    LePewPew
    Over the years I've used a lot of 700X in all of those cartridges except the 40 S&W and 41 SPL. Actually, just a couple days ago i load 200 rounds of 44-40 with 6.5 gr of 700X under a 200 gr cast bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Love 700-X. Meters very well in the Dillon measure.

In .41 Special with a 215 SWC, 5.5 gr of 700-X is midrange load.

.45 ACP - 230 grain RNL 5.0 gr, 200 grain JHP 5.5 gr, 185 grain JHP 6.0 grains. The 200 SWC is very accurate with 4.5 gr 700-X @ 800 fps. The 185 grain WC "button nose" is a tackdriver with 4.0 gr.

I got hooked on it when it was offered as surplus military powder in volume at $8 per pound if one bought at least 8# over 20 years ago. My son being on a trap league and myself using it in 45 acp subguns meant I went through about 8 lbs. a year. Lymans 1973 smaller cast bullet handbook has a bunch of loads for it with rifles as well. In magnum handguns, it provides cost cutting reduced load with lead bullets. Great 12 gauge target loads up to 1 1/8 oz. Great cowboy loads for 44-45 caliber handguns. Not position sensitive. For 38 special, in my lee pro 1000, it doesn’t meter well below about 3.6 grains. I simply will never run out of uses for 700X. Yes, if you can find the older IMR handloaders guide, lots of data for 700X.

Moderator Emeritus

I inherited about 6 lbs from an estate. I don't see me using it all up before I go the same way at 4 gr a shot but am going to try.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    LOL

I got a jug of it at the beginning of COVID. It will probably still be half full when I go.

Boolit Master
    Google the Lyman 3rd edition Cast Bullet Manual online
    Download for free.
    Get your 700 X loads and then just delete the Manual off your computer.
    I have even successfully downloaded it onto a cell phone and deleted it.
    Of course i still retain my old hard copies, but you can use it to verify those online loads suggested by other shooters.

Boolit Master
    Don't even have to delete it. It's a relatively small file so I keep it on my phone (SD card) and computer.

I keep most of my reloading data on the phone. Western load data (from before the merger with Hodgdon). I scanned in my old Lyman 45th edition as well as about half my old Sierra book. I also record sight settings for different ranges for each load. Also has a ballistics calculator installed (Nikon).

FYI, when we lived in an RV for a while took quite a few reference books and scanned them into pdf files. They take up little room and I have access to them wherever I go. Wife did the same with all her recipes.
    Last edited by charlie b; 04-21-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you ever pressure tested the 200 grain bullet, 6.5 grain 700X load in the 44-40.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Have you ever pressure tested the 200 grain bullet, 6.5 grain 700X load in the 44-40.
    Rick
    Assuming this question is directed at me?

No, I do not have a 44-40 test barrel. However, I'll refer you to https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...essure-Testing

Note in that test the Lee 429-240-SWC (242 gr) over 6 gr of 700X in the 44 Magnum didn't give enough pressure to get a pressure reading. Given the same loads in the larger capacity 44-40 will produce about 93 +/- % of that pressure the 44-40 pressure would be less. Additionally, 7 gr of 700X under a 200 gr cast in the 45 Colt (about the same case capacity or the 44-40) gives right at 14,000 psi. Thus I doubt 6.5 gr under the 200 gr cast in the 44-40 generates more than 14,000 psi at best.

If anyone has a reasonably priced 44-40 Contender barrel I would be interested in purchasing it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Larry for taking the time to respond to my question. In regards to pressure testing the 700X load in 44-40. Your input over the years is really appreciated.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Here is my handgun loads with 700X
    38 Spec 3gr. 140gr wc
    9MM 3.6gr 120gr Lee TC
    40 S&W 4.6gr. 180gr. Lee TC
    45ACP 5 gr 200gr SWC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12