RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Tips for Fast and Repeatable 800x Powder Throwing

Boolit Bub

Tips for Fast and Repeatable 800x Powder Throwing

Does anyone have tips for fast and repeatable methods for dispensing 800x powder? I got a newer 8# container thinking there's no way it could meter as poorly as everyone says. I ran some charges for 44 mag with my RCBS powder dump and it was throwing +/- .3 grains. I have all the drums for an RCBS little dandy and was considering getting one to try that.
    Worst case I can coarse throw with the dump then trickle in on the scale but I was hoping someone might have found something a little better. Thank you!
    Last edited by FishHunter357; 04-06-2022 at 07:53 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm following. Currently throwing into a pan and then the RCBS Chargemaster to bring it up to desired weight. Works, but SLOW.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I use my Lyman Gen 6, and it meters perfectly as it trickles in to the pan… to be honest, I have not found a powder that the Lyman wouldn’t trickle well…
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

800x meters fine in my dillion measures and in a Redding BR3... and i have found for the rounds i load it in +/- 0.2 gr make little difference and i don't load it right up to max anyway... my favorite 10mm powder... and useful in 45 Colt as well...

Boolit Bub
    I had been meaning to run some through the Dillon. Glad to hear that works a little better, I was skeptical after my first couple hundred. Hoping to get back behind the press sometime soon to try a couple more options.

Boolit Bub
    It could very well be about time I get a digital powder dispenser as well. Just took a look at the Lyman gen 6 like Marcopolo mentioned. It looks like a higher quality than others I've seen.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have any 800x, so I googled it. The physical description sounds a lot like Unique;"Large grained flake powder" A large rotor Uniflo will will give you the results you've described. Little Dandy rotor's have smaller holes and seem to do better with coarse powder (except Trail Boss). A small rotor Uniflo will also work some better.

Boolit Master
    The LEE cheapy disc measure handles the big flakes pretty well. Unique, Herco I haven't tried all measures but have a few different ones.

Moderator Emeritus

I use an electronic powder measure and dispensing system. If mine died today another would be on the way here tomorrow. I still have had 800 bridge when using Lee powder through expanding dies.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I use an electronic powder measure and dispensing system. If mine died today another would be on the way here tomorrow. I still have had 800 bridge when using Lee powder through expanding dies.
    Which electronic powder measure and dispensing system do you use? If you don't mind me asking.
    I'll compare my powder funnel I.D. to the Dillon powder through expander to see what I might be able to expect for bridging.

Bridging should be your main consern. 800X was discontinued in 2020.

Just used the last of mine.

Boolit Master

For those that have the means, I would highly recommend an electronic powder scale/dispenser.
    I have the Hornady Auto Charge and love it.
    I use it for most all my loading with 2 exceptions.
    I use my RCBS Uniflow for smaller charges of ball powder and my Lil dandy when i am loading pistol ammo on my P200.

Boolit Bub
    I know that what I am about to say doesn't have to do with a powder measure, but I have had good luck using Lee dippers for when I use 800x and Blue Dot powders

Boolit Grand Master

If you are seeing plus or minus .3 gr, you are doing pretty good. 800x is a very even powder, and by that I mean small changes in powder make almost no difference to velocity.

That said, there is only one way I have found to measure 800x better than that, often it will meter just as well as any other flake powder. That way is as others have said, using Lee powder dippers. Get a cup with a stick hot glued on it, so you can dip, then level off with no shaking.

@gunther, no, 800x is no more like Unique, than HS-6. It is a flake powder, yes, but they are not at all the same. Unique is what I'll call moderate sized disc flakes, like a lot of flake powders, Red dot, bluedot, 700x, etc. 800x is a whole different breed, probably closer to trail boss in size. Instead of using more retardants to slow the burn, 800x uses large flakes. The one and only other powder with similar sized flakes is STEEL. While the very large flakes do make it meter less accurately, it gives this powder unique attributes that can not, and have not been produced by other powders. For one, it is very even across a large range. Two, it is fantastic in cold weather. Three, it is one of the best medium-slow burn rate powders there is for low pressure loads in shotguns or pistols. Think of 800x as a fast powder... except it is a slow powder.

Boolit Bub
    I may have been spoiled by my regular powders metering very well. I recently used up some of the 44s that I loaded with the 800x and was surprised how little of a difference it makes in "feel" compared to a .1gr difference in Accurate 9, 296, or any of the other faster burning powders. Between that and what everyone here has suggested, I feel better about using it up. Maybe they'll bring it back in 10 years when I run out.

Boolit Master
    My understanding is that large grained flake powder can have varying density, depending on how much vibration it’s exposed to, and also (related) can “bridge” in the measure, dropping inconsistent weights.

A hack I tried is to run an aquarium air pump strapped onto the side of the measure; it provides just enough vibration to collapse any bridging and to settle the density of the powder in the volumetric charge bar/rotor. At least with light charges of Clays in my Dillon measure, it got me from +/- 0.3 gr down to +/- 0.1 gr.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter357 View Post
    Which electronic powder measure and dispensing system do you use? If you don't mind me asking.
    I'll compare my powder funnel I.D. to the Dillon powder through expander to see what I might be able to expect for bridging.
    I use the Lyman DPS 1200 now discontinued. I would use it's replacement or another similar brand if availability was an issue.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

800-X had the largest flakes of any flake powder I've used. I don't trust it at all through a powder measure. +/- 2 tenths is normal, but then once in a while those big ol' flakes will get better organized/stacked in the metering cylinder and throw a charge WAY high.

So it was a drop-and-trickle proposition for me.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Mold

Why they discontinued my favorite 800-X I don't know. Maybe finicky throwing? Anyhow, just found out about it a couple of months ago. I have less than a 1/4 of a keg left. Meters well in my Lee Perfect powder measure. It is a great powder.
    ABS Apprentice Bladesmith
    USMC Veteran
    VFW Life Member

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
    Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
    Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918