Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RCBS .44-250-K vs .44-250-KT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    Here is the boolit that puzzles me:

Attachment 300454

I copied picture from https://web.archive.org/web/20181125...fault.asp?id=4 . In the article, author, John Knutson, mentioned it as "Leadhead's 250 gr LSWC", no other info.

Scaling picture, I tried to do reverse engineering, and I've got this:

Attachment 300444

However, calculated boolit weight is about 265 grains. Anybody knows who made a mold?

NOTE: Corrected design and weight:

Leadhead's was a company that sold cast bullets, but is no longer in business anymore. I still have some of the bullets in that top photo. Unfortunately I don't know who made the mold Leadhead's used to produce those bullets. They're very close to the RCBS 44-250-K, but there are some slight differences.

As 44MAG#1 points out, most if not all of the minor differences are completely meaningless when it comes to the actual bullet performance.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Leadhead's was a company that sold cast bullets, but is no longer in business anymore. I still have some of the bullets in that top photo. Unfortunately I don't know who made the mold Leadhead's used to produce those bullets. They're very close to the RCBS 44-250-K, but there are some slight differences.

As 44MAG#1 points out, most if not all of the minor differences are completely meaningless when it comes to the actual bullet performance.
    I would appreciate a large, sharp photo of that boolit. The picture I have is mediocre, so when I enlarge to scale it, gets quite fuzzy. Please make sure that camera is perpendicular to boolit axis.

BTW, what's your experience with that boolit?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I'll take a photo with the good camera tonight.

My experience with them has been very good. They're a little on the hard side for my preference, though. I believe they're sized .430, but I'll verify that when I take the pics.

Boolit Master
    Here's a photo of a Leadheads .44 Keith bullet next to one of my RCBS 44-250-K bullets. The Leadheads is on the left with the green lube, and mine is on the right with the red lube.

As you can see, they are virtually identical. I'm not sure I could distinguish between them visually. However, the Leadheads bullet is a tiny bit longer in the nose, for an extra .013" total length.

Leadheads: .810"
    My 44-250-K: .797"

As close as they are, it makes me wonder if the Leadheads bullet isn't an earlier RCBS 44-250-K mold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44-cast-bullets.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	300537
    Last edited by AlaskaMike; 05-24-2022 at 01:46 AM.

They do look identical. Thanks for sharing, AKMike.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Here's a photo of a Leadheads .44 Keith bullet next to one of my RCBS 44-250-K bullets. The Leadheads is on the left with the green lube, and mine is on the right with the red lube.

As you can see, they are virtually identical. I'm not sure I could distinguish between them visually. However, the Leadheads bullet is a tiny bit longer in the nose, for an extra .013" total length.

Leadheads: .810"
    My 44-250-K: .797"

As close as they are, it makes me wonder if the Leadheads bullet isn't an earlier RCBS 44-250-K mold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44-cast-bullets.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	300537
    Sir, would you please check weights of those boolits. When I designed that one shown in post #73, it's OAL is .800", and weight using wheelweight (specific density 11 grams per ccm), came calculated 265.5 gr.

Boolit Master
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I took a random sample of 5 of the Leadheads bullets, and also 5 of my own just for comparison:

Leadheads: 252.3, 252.2, 253.2, 253.3, 251.1
    Mine: 258.4, 259.8, 259.5, 258.9, 259.8

As you can see, the Leadheads are a few grains lighter due to the harder alloy. The alloy in mine is clip on wheel weight, with about 2% added tin .

I can’t remember who sent me these samples. I think someone here but I can’t remember and I deleted the message I reckon. Anyways. Here is the samples I received and an OK picture. The center two are my own.

From left to right.
    Ideal 429421 box marked lyman ideal (round lube groove)
    RCBS 44-250-K
    RCBS 44-250-K my version
    RCBS 44-245-SWC
    RCBS 44-250-SWC
    MP 432-256 H&G 503 clone

I’m glad to offer comparisons any other way for folks. I don’t know the alloys of these so, I don’t weigh them. But I can weigh and make a guess of alloy if needed.

Here is the RCBS 44-240-SWC I have samples from, mine on the right. Left sample provided by the same person as the above Keith bullets.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345