Thread: Hello all looking for light 20g loads for girls

The halls and wads I got are these

370 Fiocchi primed hulls NEW 16 mm brass
    490 Commander wads
    165 WW AA-20wads
    131 WW AA-20F1 wads
    50+ WW AA-20 hulls
    And I found some clay busters wads at a garage sale and a bag of shot
    Pick up 2 choke tubes for $1.00 ea I doubt they fit my gun there for a 20g Beretta lol

Can I get a copy of them please
    In an older IMR manual, I see data for Fiocchi as well.
    In an old Dupont book, I see a load for a Winchester AA hull.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sorry to let you down, but it appears the Fiocchi data is a misprint, likely accidental 12 gauge data ended up in the 20 gauge section. I will post the Remington RPX hull data. The Winchester AA hull is listed with the RPX wad only.

This is from the Dupont handloader's guide. I don't see a year, but it predates 800x. Incase you can't read the picture, I'll post it below. NOTE THAT THE FEDERAL 209 IS NOT THE SAME AS THE FEDERAL 209A. The Federal 209A is much stronger, and can NOT be used in its place. A Federal 209 is a now discontinued primer that was low to moderate, about equivalent to a new CCI 209. Also note that the CCI 209 and CCI 209M listed in that manual are NOT the same as today's CCI's.

20ga Remington RPX 2 3/4" (same as today's STS)
    Federal 209 (NOT 209A)
    12.1 gr 700x
    RPX 20 wad
    7/8 oz lead shot
    fold crimp

1105 fps
    10,900 LUP

Now, all that out there, here is my advice. Take those wads you bought, and set them aside. Save them for normal 7/8 oz loads, or until you get different powder. You won't want any of them for this. Ideally, buy the Claybuster CB1075-20 wad. They are in stock, and they are what you want for 3/4 oz light loads. Assuming you are target shooting, there's nothing wrong with backing off on powder either. The pressure is high enough on these, you can back off a grain or two and you will be ok. I suggest loading the following based on the information you have given so far. I suggest the universal charge bar, but if you can't get it, a 3/4 oz MEC bar, and probably bushing #19 or #20. These will be very light loads, but I'd bet they perform good.

20ga Winchester AA 2 3/4"
    Winchester 209 primer
    11 gr 700x
    cb1075-20 wad
    3/4 oz lead shot
    fold crimp

Boolit Master

A +1 on Mega's advice. I'm a recoil sensitive old guy who shoots thousands of rounds of skeet. I load 20ga. 3/4 oz@ 1200fps. The only difference from what Mega recommended is I use 12grs of Red Dot powder. I developed a light 3/4 load for a friend with a torn rotator cuff with 11 grs of RD that goes 1100 fps and he regularly shoots in the 20's (out of 25) with it. Get a 3/4 bar and start loading!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Foxylady, welcome to the forum
    OK, my 2 cents.
    1) Think Safety- Always
    2) Buy the Lyman 5TH edition shotgun manual
    3) Read the information section in above SLOWLY----TWICE. You'll better understand megasupermagnum's comments about primers.
    4) BUY A BEAM SCALE AND USE IT. Those little powder bushing may not always be accurate
    5) Don't deviate from published data. Don't swap components.
    6) This ain't rocket science, BUT there are rules to follow. Follow them and loading is lots of fun.
    7) If I'm not mistaken, your commander wads are TC20 wads (I bought the press he was selling). You will probably need to buy the Advantages 10ed. from BPI. I know, I know, it's 25 bucks plus shipping. I don't know of another source for data for those wads. Maybe, one of the other members does. You have nearly 500 wads, so you'll have to decide if it's worth the price.
    Again welcome to the forum'
    Have a GREAT day and an AWESOME weekend.
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Thank you for the picture I will print it out
    And right down the information

I just received some of the books I bought off ebay
    The ABC of reloading
    LAMAN shot shell 2 edition and 5 edition
    And one for 20g 28g and 410h it covers a lot of loads

Boolit Grand Master

If you are buying manuals, a good one to add in my opinion is Reloading For Shotgunners:

https://www.gundigeststore.com/produ...gunners-ebook/

I have an older edition and it shows multiple powder charges with pressure for many components and lots of recipes including buckshot and slugs. I have found my manual to be very useful.

Longbow

It’s strange older manuals seem to cover more then the new ones

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxylady View Post
    It’s strange older manuals seem to cover more then the new ones
    Yeah, it's a sad trend. The Lyman 5th is good, but it's got be be already 20 years old. The really bad part is as loading manuals cover less, or only focus on a small window of usefulness, at the same time components that have been around for decades are disappearing, and the new stuff often only is around 5 years and either changed, or discontinued.

I really hope the testers of Lyman, or Alliant, or Hodgdon, or whoever are listening. Shotgun reloading needs to take a lesson from the past. We can't have in the same manual "do not substitute", and then at the same time have data of obscure jargon that is discontinued right away. We need to stop this BS where load data is only shown with one load, and it's 7,800 psi for no good reason. We need to get back to having multiple levels of loads listed. Not everyone wants to load 1200 fps. Some might want 1000 fps. Some might want to load to maximum pressure. That should be up to the loader, not the guys pushing these junkier components on us. We need variety. Not just one wad. Bring back multiple options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12