Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all looking for light 20g loads for girls

Hello all looking for light 20g loads for girls

Like the title says I’m looking for girl loads and stuff to load them with 😁

Had a friend tell me I can find out all I want on here 👍 but he doesn’t load shotgun 😢
    Pick up a press form a guy In town he’s a member here as well lol he’s cute 😊 but taken 😩 o well oops sorry back on topic

I need some light loads for skeet that’s all I will not shoot animal’s

Boolit Master

Hi Foxylady! Yes, you can find out a lot of info here about loading for the 20 gauge! I only load for 12 gauge at the moment but wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you to the forum!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

�� yay Thank You

Boolit Buddy
    I load all my 20 target loads 3/4 oz. That’s more like a 28 ga load. Doesn’t kick at all. I think Claybuster makes a 3/4 oz wad, really for tapered hulls, but will work OK in those Federal Top Gun hulls. I use the Gulandi SG20L wad, they load great.

I will have to try it thank you

Boolit Grand Master
    Do a google search for “Hodgdon light shotgun loads”

DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ANY components in the load recipe. Not trying to be condescending but you appear new to reloading shotgun shells and shotguns are far less forgiving. Follow the recipes from manufacturers and you will be fine. Do not use loads from people trying to help unless they can show they are published loads.
    Don Verna

Cooking that explodes ��

sorry I just couldn’t pass that one up ��

Boolit Grand Master

3/4 oz loads is a popular one. What powders do you have?

Boolit Master
    A Lyman ( Shotshell Reloading Handbook ) 4th or 5th edition will prove to be very useful if you are interested in loading shells . I liked the 4th it had more hull information / pictures , but sadly I think my friend liked it more , he kept it .
    Be safe

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    A Lyman ( Shotshell Reloading Handbook ) 4th or 5th edition will prove to be very useful if you are interested in loading shells . I liked the 4th it had more hull information / pictures , but sadly I think my friend liked it more , he kept it .
    Be safe
    This is the best advice because it have all the up date data you will need . Sorry to hear toallmy about the lost of your manual. I do not lend out any of my manuals because of that reason . I just give them the data they need wrote down . Foxylady you can get alot of what you need to reloading shotgun from https://www.ballisticproducts.com/default.asp once in awhile you can also get primers or powder but you will need to pay a hazard fee it is best to try to get them near you live. but other things you can get when in stock .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I’m Republican. Many members on this forum are very helpful. Some might know where to get supplies and others will offer great advice. I load 12 gage but shoot with some that load other gauges. I load 3/4 oz at 1250 FPS and many will load that for a 20 gauge.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    When you come back let us know what you have to start with .
    What loader / power and shot bushings or charge bars you have.
    Hulls / wads ......

Boolit Grand Master

Good advice from dverna above!

Any recipes/data not from reloading manuals, powder manufacturer's manuals or websites or a reliable source with pressure data should be cross referenced for safety.

Some seemingly small changes to load recipes can result in very significant changes in pressure without necessarily affecting velocity much. For example, a change of primer (plain old 209 primer) can affect pressure by up to about 3000 PSI. Not a problem with a low pressure load maybe but could well be with a load running at SAAMI max. pressure.

All components used in shotshell reloading work together to achieve the desired result which with shot is consistent velocity usually running between 1100 to 1300 FPS depending on what the load is intended for. As long as the pressure is below max. it is irrelevant so two loads using different powder and/or components but same payload may have same velocity but drastically different pressure.

People tend to worry about over pressure but bad things can happen with too low a pressure as well. If you drop powder charge to get lower recoil you may wind up with bloopers and could leave a payload in the barrel so next round fired sees a barrel obstruction if you don't notice and check.

It is always best to use published pressure tested load data from reliable sources and use exactly the same components listed. Some substitutions are acceptable but if you are just starting out it is best to use published data exactly then there are no worries at all.

I speak from experience having blown up a shotgun many years ago by making more than one seemingly small change to the recipe. Yes... cooking that explodes!

Longbow

All I can find is 700x and hs-6

I got some halls & wads off the Sales section on the site

I bought a press it is a mec sm77 I have 4 red 302 bars number for 7/8 oz 1oz 1-1/8 oz 1-1/4 if I read them right

And the guy gave me a box full of silver bushings for the bars
    Last edited by Foxylady; 04-06-2022 at 10:51 PM.

That was a great read Thank you for the links

Boolit Master
    I see just a couple 20 gauge 7/8 oz loads with HS-6 or 700x . I know power is hard to find now but there are much more useful powders for the 20 gauge . Unique , or green dot cover a lot more options for the 20 .
    HS-6 in Winchester hulls
    700x in federal hulls
    Those little silver bushings are for volume powder measuring - they should have numbers on them that will give you a idea of how much powder they measure , BUT you should check the powder bushings with a scale to see what they actually drop especially when purchased used .
    Shotshell loading is not complicate or hard to do , but it must be done safety .

Boolit Grand Master

Some more load data that may be useful. You could do a search of the BPI Load Of The Week Archives to see if there are any more low recoil loads as well. It is a pretty good resource.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load11_19_19.htm

Longbow

Boolit Master
    there are lots of loads these days on both the imr / hodgdon web site and the Alliant web site.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxylady View Post
    All I can find is 700x and hs-6

I got some halls & wads off the Sales section on the site

I bought a press it is a mec sm77 I have 4 red 302 bars number for 7/8 oz 1oz 1-1/8 oz 1-1/4 if I read them right

And the guy gave me a box full of silver bushings for the bars
    Despite what some may say, I think 700x is a phenomenal target 20 gauge powder. It's a phenomenal target powder in 16, 12, and 10 gauge too. It is quite fast, but you are asking for light loads, so this is exactly what you want.

You have an older MEC sizemaster, which is the best single stage MEC has made. One problem with MEC is you need a different bar for every shot load you use. The best thing to get is the adjustable charge bar, so you never have to deal with having a pile of bars or bushings again.

One problem with 700X is that there isn't a ton of data for it. Hodgdon currently lists data only for the Federal 2 3/4" paper basewad hull. This is a very common to find hull, and it is a good one. They are all I load in 20 gauge. In an older IMR manual, I see data for Fiocchi as well. In an old Dupont book, I see a load for a Winchester AA hull.

These are good loads, and exactly what you want. The reason people got away from them is two reasons. #1 is people like versatility. In 20 gauge, it will only work with light target loads. #2 speed sells. People look at 1100 fps like it will bounce off a clay.

My own go-to 20 gauge target load is off the Hodgdon website. I'll list it below. I've used both the Federal and Claybuster wad. They perform the same. I haven't seen a 20S1 in 2 years now, so I'll probably be using the claybuster from now on. I also use about 13.1 gr powder in that load since that is what my bushing throws. This same load will also work well with a cb1075-20 and 3/4 oz of shot. Do not swap hulls or primers. List what you have, and I'll see what I can find.

20ga Federal 2 3/4" paper basewad
    Federal 209A
    14gr 700x
    Federal 20S1 or Claybuster cb1078-20
    7/8 oz lead shot
    fold crimp

1,200 fps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast