RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice For First Smelt

Boolit Bub

Need Advice For First Smelt (UPDATED)

I have been lurking & reading as I collect materials & equipment to begin casting. Found a scrap yard that had some lead available & this is what they had.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	298602 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	298603 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	298604

Not knowing a whole lot, I selected these items & dragged them home.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	298605 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	298606 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	298607 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	298608

I also have these.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	298609
    Last edited by ~JM~; 04-18-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Bub
    As far as my equipment. I have a yard sale turkey fryer, a large cast iron Dutch oven & a yard sale ladle.

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	298610 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	298611 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	298612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	298613 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	298614

I plan to use these as my ingot molds.

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	298615 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	298616 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	298617

Boolit Bub
    I had originally intended to mix all the lead together. It was recently suggested to me that I might try to identify & separate my lead into different lots in case there were any contaminants such as possibly zinc in some of the fishing weights, etc. I do have a thermometer & one of those IR temperature guns to monitor temperature with.

I'm hoping some of you might look over what I have & offer some advice on if my equipment appears capable & how I should proceed.

Thank you.
    Last edited by ~JM~; 04-05-2022 at 05:05 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Looks great JM. Get some sawdust an a pariffin candle for fluxing. Use the thermometer to get your lead just above its melting point an you shouldn't need to worry about zinc. Zinc melts at a higher temp and any zinc should still be floating and can be skimmed off. Looks like mostly pure lead except for dive belt weights an possibly the sinkers.

You might think about using a specific mold just for pure lead. Then another for just wheelweights. And so on. This way you will know what the
    hardness of the ingot is by looking at its shape. When you get lots of lead in ingot form it can get confusing if you don't have a established system.
    Last edited by MOA; 04-05-2022 at 05:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Dont forget the safety gear Gloves, heavy pants, heavy long sleeved shirt, boots, safety glasses , a hat with bill. When setting up leave plenty of room so if something does happen you can get away.

Work slow and pay attention its not overly dangerous but molten metal isnt forgiving. Work in a well ventilated area and think things thru. You will do fine

Remember those pretty shiny ingots are still hot, a lot longer than you think

And for hardness testing try the pencil method. I bought a scientific tester but the pencils are easier so I use them. I bought a set of one each of pencils with different hardness.

Name:	staedtler pencils.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	298627

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

How to use them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9_f8mItr8

Jim

Boolit Bub
    The dive belt weights have been in the family since the mid 1960's. I have some letter stamps that I can use to ID ingots. Have some small candles, but do not have any saw dust yet.

Have most of the safety gear. I would like to pick up a couple more pairs of gloves & some welder gloves. Did some aluminum sand casting in High School, but that was a long time ago. Still remember most of the process.

I have a set of these pencils: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I need to locate & print out the conversion chart though. The pencil technique looks much more user friendly than the Lee hardness tester, etc.

I used a small pair of side cutters & pinched each piece. Maybe a few feel slightly softer than others, maybe I can just apply the tool to the shape easier, not sure.

I've been trying to decide if I should buy more lead from that yard before I start. I'm close to 100# so far. The yard charges $1 a pound.

Boolit Buddy
    Your muffin pans look to be aluminum, no problem there. Your mini loaf pan needs to be rusty for good release. I'd hit that baby with a propane torch and let it rust before using. I leave mine outside in the elements and have a good rust "patina", no problem with releasing ingots.

Boolit Master
    The loaf pan looks like it has a non stick coating that will off gas as it breaks down from the heat of the melt: your ingots will look like they have really bad acne scars until that stops when the coating burns off.

You can speed up the process by deliberately torching the pan as suggested, but DO NOT inhale the fumes or the fine powdery residue.

Aluminum or steel muffin or cupcake tins work well if they are stamped out of a single sheets of metal. Some cupcake pans have the cups crimped into the top, and the heat of the lead can make the cup separate from the top. The cups can dent, which might trap the ingot after it hardens. I had that happen mainly with aluminum.

Don’t use real tin plated muffin tins: the ingot will weld itself to the plating and will only come out it you remelt the surface that is bonded to the cup.

Fire it up and go.

Melt it all together, make your ingots, then test hardness.

Label the container holding the ingots with the lead hardness for future reference.

That way you know how to proceed if you need a harder alloy.

Don't worry about sorting the lead first, your supply is mostly pure lead. If you had buckets of wheelweights, then you'd need to sort.
    Last edited by 414gates; 04-06-2022 at 03:54 AM. Reason: addendum

Boolit Master
    I am with the sort by appearance group. Sheet lead as one batch, marked ingots like the Kirk and Hex shaped ingots,as a batch. Fishing weights as a batch. Dive weights can be anything as those I make are usually contaminated lead. With cast ingots, the important part to show is the open part of the ingot. That will show color, luster, and voids of the as cast alloy. If you have time, tap those unknown chunks with a light hammer to see if they thud or ring and sort accordingly. Those small square ingots might be something other than just lead. Test those for hardness if you can. Nice selection but do what you have time to do. About any method of mix or match will work. But ingots marked pure lead do not really need to be tested so set them aside. Good luck, nice find.

Boolit Master

Check the current price of a set of Dive Belt Weights (quick search ==> $19 for 4#; $10 for 2#), which may give you pause to consider selling/trading those rather than melting them.

I have a set of four (4) one-pound each, clean and richly sculpted, Old English-style, Pub scenes, pewter (95% tin) goblets ($15 for all 4 at a flea market that have similarly sold for $60) and a single five (5) pound pewter (95%) flower vase ($20 at a consignment shop).

On the vase my spouse has demanded leniency from melting. On the goblets I can't commit to melting them (yet). The prospect of "losing" $45 by not selling them does not put me off. I scored in purchasing inexpensive pewter for making an alloy with lead.
    They are "nice" to look at and it seems "an injustice" to melt them. I am hoping that will pass...

The First Three Axioms of melting lead and pewter are:
    1. Avoid tentative play.
    2. Do not get "emotionally involved" with the material.
    3. Once melted, everything before is forgotten.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like you have a good starting place. Most of your lead looks to be soft. The wadded up sheet lead and roof jacks will be soft. The factory ingots are probably soft too. The dive weights and fishing sinkers can be nearly anything. I would keep the soft lead as a batch and the other as a batch.

Think about buying a set of cheap steel stamps from Harbor Freight to mark your ingots. I use the letters PB for soft lead, WW for clip-on wheelweights, ect.

Proper dress is important, as is good ventilation when melting lead. I have one major rule, I NEVER add solid lead to a pot of molten lead. If you get a drop of water under the surface you will get a visit from the Tinsel Fairy. Not fun!

Good Luck with your first smelt.

Boolit Bub
    ~JM~
    You will be surprised how fast 100 pounds of lead or alloy will disappear once you start casting, reloading and shooting. Caliber dependent of course. Keep the word out with your contacts that you are looking for lead (think flashing from a roofer), clip on or stick on wheel weights or medical lead shielding. Also look for pewter (high tin content), electronic solder (particularly the new lead-free solder - also high tin content). Search here on Castboolits for the alloy calculator that is an Excel spread sheet that will help when you get farther into casting and mixing materials for that sweet alloy your guns like.

Patience... think twice before doing something new, read through the posts on this forum and if you still can't find the answer post a question. Learn from our mistakes and experience.

My order of preference is smelting, casting, reloading and finally shooting. Good luck!

If you’re handy around me, I’d be glad to offer my knowledge in smelting to get you started.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Good start. But Pb goes fast! A good shooting day for me is over 100#! I shoot a lot of big 45LC slugs and they eat Pb real fast. Many start out with tiny 9mm or 38's which are pretty light weight and you can get a bunch of boolits out of a 100# batch.

Good luck. Keep looking for sources of lead. I've paid a buck a pound for the last 10 years at my local yards. In there was also 25# of pure SN, solder, low-temp alloys, COWW ingots, pure, and a few pewter pieces. The treat it all as lead.

Once you start getting more, you will definitely want to re-melt and ingotize them separately.

And you will need some Sb & Sn alloys to mix with all the picture pure Pb stuff. Unless you are shooting black powder RB's

It would be nice to know where you are located, someone close to you could show you the ropes.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    It would be nice to know where you are located, someone close to you could show you the ropes.

Slim
    North central AZ

Boolit Bub
    Performed some quicky pencil hardness testing after dinner. I purchased a box of ingots from one of the board members that was advertised as 95% lead & 5% antimony. That took a B pencil to scratch.

My dive belt weights were difficult to produce a consistent test, but looks like a 4H pencil. (Chart doesn't show 4H pencil)

The roof flashing = 4B

The octagon shaped stamped with a Q = B

The ones stamped KIRK = B

The odd round/dome shaped = H

The squares above the sinkers = 3B

The largest sinker = 2B

Rectangle sinker = B

Random sinker = H

Didn't go through the rest.

Name:	Pencil Chart II.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	298707

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the club. I had problems with the muffin pans. The lead wouldn't release so I rely on my Lee ingot mold. I don't know what North Central AZ is like but aren't there ranges there to retrieve range lead? I did a quick search on lead wheel weight prohibitions and AZ is not on the list. Collect as much lead wheel weights as possible! Some have said that you can identify the Zn weights by the sound of the wheel weight when dropped. Are there no ranges nearby to find range scrap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast