Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman H&I sizing die organization

Lyman H&I sizing die organization

I have managed to accrue several sets of H&I dies for lube-sizing boolits to different diameters. When not in the sizer they are difficult to identify. If I remember right Lyman once stamped the diameter in the H die but no more it seems. So, in searching for a solution I discovered empty pill bottles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDPE pill.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	298599

Found them on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224167914714

They ase available in different sizes and configurations. I figure to write the die diameter on the outside so I can keep them all organized. They are on the way. When I try them out I will report back.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I use a small tackle box that has compartments not much larger than the dies for storing mine.

Boolit Master

I use oak 2x wood turned on its edge. I drill a 7/8 hole 1 inch deep using a forstner bit. I drill 5/16 inch holes for the top punches. I started with a 16 inch 2x4 and when I needed more I glued a 2x6 to it. Later I added a 2x8. Before long I will need to add a 2x10. I label the holes with the size of the die.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm using the Walmart Flambeau knock off tackle boxes for all of my small parts organization .
    H& die , shell holders , die spare parts etc . They stack , seal and latch , and are fairly drop resistant . They hold each loose die and pin separately and the pins can't escape and they are easy to get out even with my size 14 fingers and size 10 pinkie .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Plano boxes for the sizers and the top punches.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master
    I use an MTM plastic 12 gauge box for the H&I dies, it works well at least until you acquire more than 25 dies.

Since I usually use a home made top punch (1/4" rod one inch long), I'm not so worried about keeping the ones I have organized. They mostly reside in the flat plastic box (cassette tape sized) they were in when I bought a bunch of stuff at an auction.

My only problem is finding the boxes when I want to change size.

Robert

Boolit Master

I use 35mm film canisters with the diameter marked on top. Have a 1 x 3 with holes that hangs over the sizer to store the most used. The remainder in plastic tackle boxed in order of diameter./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I use an MTM plastic 12 gauge box for the H&I dies, it works well at least until you acquire more than 25 dies.
    >>>SNIP
    I use the same MTM box, I mark the inside cover with size. works great!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I am diabetic, and the containers my test strips come in are perfect for my h&i dies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Plano boxes for the sizers and the top punches.

After reading all your responses I decided you guys had a better idea so I looked for small divided plastic organizers. I found this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXT6L7L...roduct_details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	organizers.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	598 Bytes 
ID:	298962

They arrived today. They are small but sizing dies fit fine.

Thanks, all.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

I found mine in bathroom wastepaper basket ... wife didn't realize how valuable pill bottles are and chunked them in trash ... No No No !
    The most common sized one will hold H & I Dies and one or two top punches . Small ones will hold top punches of varying design . I write in magic marker what is in the bottle and keep all of them in a plastic container ... All H & I Dies and all top punches in the same container ... FREE !

If you want Free pill bottles ... just ask any person over the age of 50 ... by then the pill pushers will usually have you on High blood pressure medicne , 1 or 2 prescriptions ... High Colesteral Medicne , Acid reflux , heartburn , anti-biotics and pain medications .
    I take 4 prescription medications my self ... but get 90 day refils that come in larger bottles ...
    30 day prescription bottles are best for H&I dies .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been reading this with interest. While I have several dies semi-permanently installed Lyman and Ideal sizers from a couple of generations, I also have been stashing my spare H&I dies in a variety of unsatisfactory containers. Add to this that I'm going to start using a Star sizer and its dies as well... I just have reached critical mass and have to get organized or suffer the consequences. It looks like the Plano™ Box(es) MOA showed in post #5 may well be the way for me to go.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"