Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationPBcastco
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage gas checks

Sage gas checks

Bought 1500 .30 cals. Big mistake. Will not snap on the shank. Checks are round on the bottom and do not seat square. Many crimp on crooked. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Everyone has a different experience: just used 500 from sage all 30 cal with no problems at all. Probably used couple of thousand since I started buying from them without any problems.

Boolit Master
    I keep three versions of their 30 cal checks on hand, as they fit different bullets better than another style. My favorite is the Gator check, but some bullets like the .15 thousand copper check better. Have also used the .017 on one smaller shanked bullet, to get a good fit.
    Unfortunately ,usually there is only style available when ordering, preventing you from getting a good assortment.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve been using checks from Bayou Brass and Ammo recently. Good product at a good price.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Check I received from Sage all work great, both .30 cal and .338 cal

Moderator Emeritus

Sage's have always been good to me.
    If there is an issue, maybe contact them to see if there is some solution to make everyone happy?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

You are complaining to the wrong people ... Sage can do something for you .

Not all cast boolits have the same gas check cut , you will find another boolit that takes those 30 cal. checks so hang onto them .
    Seating checks with a gas check seater in a lube/sizer or press helps a whole lot and checks can be expanded if shank is too large ... lots of tricks to learn and call Sage and see if they have any tips .

Not everything in life is going to work out perfectly , learn to adapt and make it work .
    Sage's will take care of you ...call them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    SAGE is now my only " 1 Stop " source for gas checks.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used thousand of Sage's check and they always work. (for me). Just got another thou the other day. Perhaps you should either call Shamus or check you mold.

Boolit Master

I have never had a problem with his checks, but I keep some of all the different styles.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Sages GCs are my got to brand .
    I have used thousands of their GCs in different calibers with out any issues.
    it may be your mould casting oversize shanks.

Yes if it is over size, you will need a GC expander, I got one from NOE when I was have problems with my 22 cals that I use for my 22-250 after the expander , I had no more problems.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Bought 1500 .30 cals. Big mistake. Will not snap on the shank. Checks are round on the bottom and do not seat square. Many crimp on crooked. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
    must be operator error. Sage stuff is great.never a issue!

Boolit Buddy

Sage gas checks worked for me in 357 & 44 caliber. Bayou gas checks have worked for me in .45 caliber.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I agree, must be operator error!! I have used thousands of Sage"s checks and never had a problem.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Bub
    Same here, I've been using sage gas checks for some time on multiple calibers without any issues. The gas checks might not be the problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Everyone has a different experience: just used 500 from sage all 30 cal with no problems at all. Probably used couple of thousand since I started buying from them without any problems.
    Same here.. all my sage checks have gone on fine.

A GOOD size die and punch WILL seat even a rounded bottom check. Sounds like the bullet check shank is wrong.. or due to allow.. something didn't shrink as much as thought..

About 18 months ago I ordered 500 8mm checks for my .32 Ideal project. Fast forward to last week, I went to install the checks and lube some bullets I had cast last summer. Lo-and-behold, the Sage checks are about .012" oversize. I say about because they measure from .333" OD to .336". Not pleased. Bought Hornady checks from Brownells, which are the right size and vary in OD by only +/- .0005", so all is well again. If anybody has a use for these oversize Sage checks let me know. I can't find any bullet they'd fit. Maybe you can. [/rant]
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Will they stay on when ran thru a sizer die. Once in a blue moon I see checks that won't snap on a bullet base.. BUT will stay on when crimped. For these I just set them on the punch and go. Some use a dot of grease or glue..then crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Will they stay on when ran thru a sizer die. Once in a blue moon I see checks that won't snap on a bullet base.. BUT will stay on when crimped. For these I just set them on the punch and go. Some use a dot of grease or glue..then crimp.
    if you're answering me, the answer is that they won't go into the .323 sizer at all. So big that they hang up on the mouth no matter how much force I apply. I'd have to grind a much bigger lead-in taper on the die, which should not be necessary, nor do I want to modify a die that works fine with correctly sized checks.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast