Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question, block lube in lubrisizer

Boolit Bub

Silly question, block lube in lubrisizer

Ok, this is probably a silly question but I want to use SPG tropic in my lubrisizer but I can only find it in a block. Is it ok to melt it and pour it into my lubrisizer or do I need to melt it and make it into a stick then put it in my lubrisizer? If I need to make it into a stick, is there a mold I can buy or instructions to make one? thanks

Boolit Buddy

1 in, PVC pipe works nicely for a mold GW

Boolit Master
    I melt and pour into my Lyman 450. I make my own lube and found that making it into lube sticks was a needless waste of time.

Boolit Master
    Use a double boiler setup so as not to scorch or burn your lube. When melted just pour into your lubrisizer. Frank

Boolit Master

I have done it that way for years. I put about 2 ounces of the lube I am using into a small metal pan used just for lube when I start sizing. I put it on a cup warmer that heats to about 150 degrees, the lube will be melted by the time I finish and I just refill the sizer and let it cool.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I just made my own lube block.. I just wrap the extra ones up in foil and keep in a non-hot location.

Last edited by MOA; 04-05-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It seems the easiest way would be to cut it into strips that would fit down into the sizer. I am not familiar with this lube but, if it is a hard lube, you can heat the lube sizer with a hair dryer until you get it compressed.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Moulding hollow sticks is nice if you have the moulds to do it with or want to make moulds .

If the lube melts , old coffe pot , melt lube and pour from little spout into resrvoir .

Soft lube , cut small pieces and press down into reservoir , keep packing them in untill full .

I'm sure there are more ways to skin that lube cat ... just think outside the ... Luber Box !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You can melt it and pour it in (using very low heat, or preferably a double boiler), or make your own sticks.... your choice. If you do melt it.. be careful not to fill above the little air hole in the back of the lubesizer tube (if yours has one), or it'll leave a really impressive spray pattern of lube on the wall when you apply pressure to it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Just cut it into strips, or chunks and stuff it in there. I've been doing it that way ever since I got my lubri-sizer.

Boolit Master
    I melt it in my Star and do like MOA in post #6 in the 450's. Just know how much heat you need when lubing. I have been getting lazy and reach for the White Label lube lately. I heat mine in a pan when needed and then pour it in.

I heat/melt DGL, NRA 50/50 and Carnauba lubes in 1cup Pyrex measuring cups in a microwave. The melted lube pours mess free into sizer. A lot less work than making hollow sticks

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. I am really new to all of this and just didn't want to make a mess.

I melt & pour mine directly into the sizer after I'm done with one session.
    Then it's full and ready to go for the next time.
    So far, I've never sat long enough to completely empty and need to refill it to keep going.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    My shooting partner Dale53 showed me the slickest setup I’ve ever seen. He uses a little potpourri pot to melt block Carnauba Red while he’s sizing with his heated Star lubri-sizer then refills as needed, especially at the end of a casting session so he starts up with a full reservoir. It works so well I’ve acquired a Star unit and just got a brand new LAM heater from RCBS. I steal my ideas from the best!!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I cut chunks of block lube with a knife, and melt in a soup can that is squeezed together at the top to form a pouring spout. Heat it to melting, in a sauce pan with an inch of boiling water. After filling your lubri sizer, cool and store can in a plastic bag, to protect it from dust.
    Block lube is cheaper than buying in the stick form.

Boolit Master

Call me lazy. I cut my homemade Bens red into slices and push them down in my 45 Lyman sizer, sometimes I even melt them down a bit with the Black and Decker heat gun and add a few more slices.

Take less than 5 minutes to fill it to me.

Boolit Buddy
    Melt and pour, keep it simple.

?… if it’s melted is there a risk it’ll leak out the die holes and make a mess ?… or do you just “top it up” before it gets to low ?
    May we achieve our aims....

Quote Originally Posted by GRid.1569 View Post
    ?… if it’s melted is there a risk it’ll leak out the die holes and make a mess ?… or do you just “top it up” before it gets to low ?
    Refilling the reservoir with melted lube means that there is lube still at least in the base of the press. Once the plunger reaches bottom no more lube can be forced into the die and bullet. Even at this point there is still solid lube around the die in the base. I personally have never let it get that low before refilling. I (so far) have never spilled any or made a mess refilling the reservoir with melted lube from a Pyrex 8oz measuring cup. Also, you will not get any air pockets in the lube doing it this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast