WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Columbia Coatings

Boolit Mold

Columbia Coatings

Columbia Coatings offers Clearance powders with many listed at $5.00/lb. Has anyone tried powder from this company for the shake/bake method of coating bullets and if so, how did it perform? Pictures and powder names would be nice to see.

Boolit Master
    Since one lb makes thousands of bullets I don't go cheap on the powder. Get it from Smoke.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...owder-For-sale

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Since one lb makes thousands of bullets I don't go cheap on the powder. Get it from Smoke.

I totally agree!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

Ditto what he said.

Or if you want a color Smoke doesn't carry, at least buy from a company like Prismatic where you know the powder is fresh and hasn't been sitting in stock for years. Also a powder that you can find the specifications so you know it will work for your needs.

Boolit Buddy
    I contacted Columbia and told them what I was doing and they said their powders are sprayed and are various manufacturers. Although the price per pound was reasonable, add some freight and the possibility some may not coat well was enough to steer me back to proven powders. When people recommend a brand or company they are making a blanket statement that all their powders are good for shake and bake which may or may not be true. Why take the chance?

Boolit Master
    The recommendation concerning Smoke's powders is a good one, and his powder is what I used when I first started PCing. However I have wandered a bit.

A friend gave me a bunch of Columbia Coatings powders, Candy Blue Translucent, John Deere Green, Midnight Clear, Copper Tanslucent, and a couple of other blues. The JD Green was first opened in October 2007 and all we stored outside, under a tarp in the SW Fl weather. All worked fine for shake and bake. The translucents didn't look like they did as they are made to work with an udercoat, but they all worked great. I also used some Black from Ebay that was great and a couple from the Powder Coat Store that I originally purchased for fishing jigheads.

I looked at the sale colors and didn't see anything that excited me, but then I have enough to last me till the end of....my...time!