RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: WTB / WTT for cast boolits in .329 - .332 diameter

WTB / WTT for cast boolits in .329 - .332 diameter

Here’s a odd boolit I need. I recently bought a antique rimfire rifle that I want to make shoot again the bore is in great condition and after slugging shows a groove diameter of .330. The twist is about 1- 22” as far as I can tell so I need a boolit somewhere in the .329 to .332 diameter range that isn’t a long heavy rifle bullet. With the twist rate I have and shooting black powder I think I need to stay with boolits no heavier than maybe 140 grs. + or -
    I am converting 32-20 brass to rimfire and cannot find a boolit near the size I need.
    If anyone casts something close to this size maybe I can make them work.
    I will buy them from you or trade you for , J bullets, die sets, brass etc. I have a lot of surplus STUFF.

Or if anyone casts really short .338 cal. I could size them down ?

Let me know if you have anything like this as my only other thought was to make a couple of push thru dies and start with a pure lead ball and squeeze them down thru a couple homemade dies until I have a jelly bean like boolit that would fit ?

Thanks, Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 04-05-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    have you looked at accurate molds?

LEE Makes a 200+ grain mold for the 8x56, stated as 0.330. You could cut the base of the mold on a mill to reduce shank, and make a fixture to trim nose after casting, if you do not need large quantities. One (possibly cheap, if you have mill access) way to do it, or at least make samples.

Thank you both for the replies and ideas. Buying a proper mold would be the best idea but this rifle is a pristine collectible rifle and I doubt I will fire it much more than a few times to prove I can do it. I have like a hundred other rifles to cover every need a dozen times over but this is just one of them can I do it projects and don’t want to put a lot of money in a mold.
    I do have a mill and thought of modifying that Lee mold you are speaking of but the small case and chamber I am working with require a short OAL bullet to be workable.

Another thought came to me while looking at that Lee bullet for the 8 x 56 is if I could buy some of those from someone that did not have the gas check installed I could cut them off where the bore riding diameter starts and load them upside down with the gas check base being the bullet nose . Maybe ??

Thanks, Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 04-06-2022 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks to all of you who posted. I have found several choices to try with the help of one of our members.
    I will have a wad cutter type with lube grooves, a heeled boolit that I will try with a paper patch and a smooth sided bollit that I will knurl the bearing surface and lube with a black powder lube soft enough to spin off while spinning down the bore.
    At least one of them should be just what I am looking for.

Thanks, Jedman