Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Scammers

Quote Originally Posted by gwozdz View Post
    I don't think Paypal is going to help you if payment was PayPal friends and family. I think they only offer protection if payment is done with a payment for goods and services requiring a fee to be levied. I think Paypal feels that if you sent money to a family member or friend, you should not need help to get it back.
    If that is the case, $60 is the price of tuition to the "School of How To Avoid Scams".
    Just glad it wasn't more.
    First scam I have ever fallen victim to.
    Gotta give them credit though.........they did a good job!
    Live and learn............
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub
    If a credit card was used, you may try to get a cash back. Do a search to see what others have done. I wouldn't give in too easy without a good try.

If a credit card was used, you may try to get a cash back. Do a search to see what others have done. I wouldn't give in too easy without a good try.
    Nope...paid with PP F&F. Apparently PayPal says that if you pay a friend or family, they were "friends or family" and no need to get your money back.
    Your friends or family would never scam you right?
    These guys were smooth.
    Be careful out there!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub
    Too bad people have to be that way.
    Last edited by gwozdz; 04-04-2022 at 11:41 AM.

Too bad people have to be that way.
    Well, in a way, it was my own excitement and lack of due diligence that did me in.
    Yes, he had 0 posts.
    Yes, he was banned.
    Yes, he used 2 different emails in the transaction.
    I SIMPLY DID NOT DO MY HOMEWORK!
    Pay attention. A scammer usually messes up once during the transaction (lousy English, lousy spelling, demand for payment in non-recourse transfers, etc. (like Venmo, etc.).
    That may be the ONLY warning you get.
    Yes, he refunded my original payment because it was for goods and services.
    Yes, I fell for the "Friends and Family" option.
    He also asked for Venmo and a bunch of other payment methods.
    PP was the ONLY one I wanted to use because I THOUGHT I was getting some protection.
    WRONG!
    But I have to say the book was something I had been looking for for a long time.
    I was blinded by my own excitement at getting the book and didn't see (pay attention to ) the warning flags.
    I guess that $60 is cheap tuition.

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I am a brand new member here......24 hours. I joined to avoid what you folks are experiencing. I am an old retired guy who has been searching all over the internet for a replacement vintage duty holster, border patrol style, for my 6" S&W N frame. You would not believe the number of third party replies, telling me to contact this friend or that friend who has what I am looking for. My BS indicator light so far has saved me from wasting money........but the America of today isn't the one I grew up in. Good advice you are providing, we just no longer can take of face value unknown people......so I guess I just excluded myself. < George4

Boolit Master

I have seen the same here.. A 0 post user that pls you that soandso has what you are looking for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by George4 View Post
    Hello, I am a brand new member here......24 hours. I joined to avoid what you folks are experiencing. I am an old retired guy who has been searching all over the internet for a replacement vintage duty holster, border patrol style, for my 6" S&W N frame. You would not believe the number of third party replies, telling me to contact this friend or that friend who has what I am looking for. My BS indicator light so far has saved me from wasting money........but the America of today isn't the one I grew up in. Good advice you are providing, we just no longer can take of face value unknown people......so I guess I just excluded myself. < George4
    This smells like a scammer post.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Nope...paid with PP F&F. Apparently PayPal says that if you pay a friend or family, they were "friends or family" and no need to get your money back.
    Your friends or family would never scam you right?
    These guys were smooth.
    Be careful out there!
    If the Paypal funds came out of a credit card account, the credit card company may still be able to help you.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    If the Paypal funds came out of a credit card account, the credit card company may still be able to help you.
    Bottom line?
    I just paid $60 to attend a seminar to learn how to become more aware of scams.
    The price of tuition.

Here is the PM I received:

H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth
    I purchased some items from Hockett927 some days ago and H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email dougson804@gmail.com

I had been looking for this book for a long time and was excited to see one come up.
    After a few email exchanges with dougson804@gmail.com, I sent the money via PayPal friends and family.
    I will file a fraud claim with PP and hopefully get my money back.
    I would like to say that I am super careful on line, but I was taken. The is always a first time for everything, and this is the first time I have ever been scammed.
    Pretty good scam if I may say so myself.
    THIS IS A SCAM AND YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT.
    I got a similar PM with the same email contact. I noticed the sender was banned and attempted to reply to the person that sent the PM, however, due to that member being banned I could not reply directly, only to the email address and I did not do that.

My question, how does a banned member get to send a PM in the first place?

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Vendor Sponsor

not to take away from the above posts but also I am seeing many gun sites I have NEVER seen or heard of before pop up with ammo no one else has at very reasonable prices
    these are also scams. seen several that were duplicate sites with just the name, the back grounds fonts and such changed. same items same prices
    due you due diligence . be careful out there
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I'm glad I read this. I have made so many purchases on this site over the last ten years that I'm can't even start to recall them all. That being said, I recently posted WTB and purchased from a member a H/P version of the mould I was looking for but left the ad up in case someone had a non HP version. Amazingly I received a private message to email another fellow about the exact mould I was looking for and I did. What is weird I get a photo of the exact boolit that looked freshly cast in the fellows hand that I have been looking for but the whole thing seems off. when I went back to see the person that messaged me he had already been banned. I declined to react any further.
    Thank you for the sticky to help us old fellows keep up with the currant scammers
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    My question, how does a banned member get to send a PM in the first place?
    Slim
    Slim:
    My guess is they probably send out a bunch of these PM's before they get banned.
    My guess is that they could send out a hundred in short order before anyone catches on......they get banned, and the emails are already flying.
    Out of a hundred, you might get 5 people that get scammed....maybe more....depending on how much each person gets scammed for, they could rake in some money.
    Heck of a way to make a living..........

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    not to take away from the above posts but also I am seeing many gun sites I have NEVER seen or heard of before pop up with ammo no one else has at very reasonable prices
    these are also scams. seen several that were duplicate sites with just the name, the back grounds fonts and such changed. same items same prices
    due you due diligence . be careful out there
    That's all over the place, especially farcebook and reddit. A couple key red flags

1. they appear to have everything under the sun in stock
    2. their pricing is pre-pandemic
    3. their means of payment are zelle and venmo

just my 2˘
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    all I can add is my eyes are wide open now after losing $500 to a scammer ad about 8 or 10 years ago on armslist with fake gun shop ffl connection web site, it was pretty elaborate and I',m guessing I'm not the only one to fall for it. I could not get any law enforcement agency to do anything about it and I called everyone I could get a phone number for including postal inspector since it was postal money order using priority mail with tracking number they just either dont give a hoot or are so overwhelmed with this sort of stuff they can't get to them. live and learn. good thing at the time I had pockets full of cash. I dont do online money transactions and when dealing with someone in swapping and selling it is only with people who actively participate on the site.

Moderator Emeritus

I, a few years back, was in "desperate want" for a particular Beeman spring air pistol, and EVERY shop and site I was aware of had this model long-back-ordered. I received an email from a site member advising a vendor who has them in stock! I should've been smart right off, but again, my desire to obtain the pistol trumped this! The site looked 101% real. I did a business check, and they were incorporated in Texas, albeit only a year earlier.
    My one bit of "smarts" was paying with a Visa CREDIT card. After two weeks and no product, I sent an email inquiry. A bright red flag came up as I immediately recognized, from response, that English was definitely not the native tongue of writer! The provided telephone number rang and rang... never picked up.
    Two weeks later, I dialed the number on back of my credit card; spoke to a very nice lady; and was told an investigation would be made -- which would take up to 90 days. Oh -- this credit card was immediately canceled, too -- but a few days later I received a new replacement.
    About two weeks after my call I received a first class letter from Visa stating that my funds to vendor ($518.00) were returned to me; an investigation was still in progress; and if it turned out I was the scammer -- the $518.00 would be rebilled to me -- with no further action required on my behalf.
    Bion, about eight weeks later I received a second first class mail letter from Visa advising their investigation had ended; the vendor turned out to be a known to them bad-guy, and all ended well.
    In retrospect -- I still ask the question how ANYONE had any idea I was trying to purchase this model air pistol? I had posted NO wtb's or even mentioned it in discussion. Was it a lucky scam guess? I put the question to bed remembering I had eMailed one inquiry to a known site asking if they had any idea when these would be back in stock. My conclusion, then, either one of their employees or an email breech as the source. I changed my email passwords and a few others, and have never since dealt with that vendor.
    My bottom line, however, unless it is a known-known-trusted-entity, I use nothing but a name-brand CREDIT CARD -- never a debit card or PayPal F&F for any purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    i, a few years back, was in "desperate want" for a particular beeman spring air pistol, and every shop and site i was aware of had this model long-back-ordered. I received an email from a site member advising a vendor who has them in stock! I should've been smart right off, but again, my desire to obtain the pistol trumped this! The site looked 101% real. I did a business check, and they were incorporated in texas, albeit only a year earlier.
    My one bit of "smarts" was paying with a visa credit card. After two weeks and no product, i sent an email inquiry. A bright red flag came up as i immediately recognized, from response, that english was definitely not the native tongue of writer! The provided telephone number rang and rang... Never picked up.
    Two weeks later, i dialed the number on back of my credit card; spoke to a very nice lady; and was told an investigation would be made -- which would take up to 90 days. Oh -- this credit card was immediately canceled, too -- but a few days later i received a new replacement.
    About two weeks after my call i received a first class letter from visa stating that my funds to vendor ($518.00) were returned to me; an investigation was still in progress; and if it turned out i was the scammer -- the $518.00 would be rebilled to me -- with no further action required on my behalf.
    Bion, about eight weeks later i received a second first class mail letter from visa advising their investigation had ended; the vendor turned out to be a known to them bad-guy, and all ended well.
    In retrospect -- i still ask the question how anyone had any idea i was trying to purchase this model air pistol? I had posted no wtb's or even mentioned it in discussion. Was it a lucky scam guess? I put the question to bed remembering i had emailed one inquiry to a known site asking if they had any idea when these would be back in stock. My conclusion, then, either one of their employees or an email breech as the source. I changed my email passwords and a few others, and have never since dealt with that vendor.
    My bottom line, however, unless it is a known-known-trusted-entity, i use nothing but a name-brand credit card -- never a debit card or paypal f&f for any purchases.
    yessir.....the lesson is learned by me.
    But thanks for the suggestion on the timers - i bought three of them!

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all for the great info!
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Bub
    Bottom line?
    I just paid $60 to attend a seminar to learn how to become more aware of scams.
    The price of tuition.
    Well tell us.... Was the $60.00 worth it or was it a SCAM..?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast