Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Scammers

Boolit Buddy

Beware of Scammers

I received a PM from a (so called) member here who joined in APR22, has ZERO posts, and has been banned. His suggestion was to contact a third party via email about an item I was looking for some months ago. This is not the first time but the second time I have received a PM here from someone with ZERO posts. Spammer???

Boolit Master
    I'd say so. Weird that he can still log in and send messages, though.

Is it the old 'Check with XXX, he has your exact WTB verbiage' scam?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Super Moderator

Not a Spammer, but a Scammer. WTB people here need to be on the lookout for this. We keep banning them, but they keep coming back as they have had a small degree of success in fleecing people on the site. They are usually brand new members with zero posts, and contacting WTB members via PM. PLEASE use the report post function for this type of activity, so we can deal with them appropriately.

I just had this happen to me! THANK YOU! For making me aware of this, I was questioning how it happened, hc18flyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Not a Spammer, but a Scammer. WTB people here need to be on the lookout for this. We keep banning them, but they keep coming back as they have had a small degree of success in fleecing people on the site. They are usually brand new members with zero posts, and contacting WTB members via PM. PLEASE use the report post function for this type of activity, so we can deal with them appropriately.
    What a great training aide....good job!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

They are like roaches ... no matter how many you kill , they just keep coming back .
    Watch your PM's and don't reply to them .
    It amazes what scammers can do and how hard they are to eradicate .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

always use the pm system here and not emails, that way the mods can see what goes on.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not computer smart ... what is and where is the "report post" function located ?
    I will be glad to do it ... I'm looking on posts but don't see it ... Is that function on my PM's .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Also worthwhile to go to your user panel and uncheck "receive emails from members". You'll still get PM's, but you'll eliminate an avenue for scammers to contact you.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 04-03-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Super Moderator

The report post function is the little black triangle with the exclamation point in it, just below your post count number. If you hover over it, it will say "report post".

Boolit Grand Master
    The report post function is the little black triangle with the exclamation point in it, just below your post count number. If you hover over it, it will say "report post".
    Thank you for educating us!!! Well, at least me.
    Don Verna

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RRR.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	298510
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Now I know also.
    THANKS

Boolit Master
    I got a pm offering to sell me some stuff a while back from a member who had zero posts. I sent message to NO1 about it and NO1 wrote back saying the member who made offer to sell stuff to me had been a member in good standing for something like 10 years, I forget how many to be exact, but I did not respond to the offers as I prefer to deal with people who are active participants here.

Cast Boolits Owner

The scam typically goes like this:

As stated before, the scam is usually a new member with little to no post count contacting you via PM with a deal for a item you may have bid on and missed or something you have a WTB ad for. This new member will direct you to contact someone else via email to complete the purchase. This other person always request a payment method which is not reversible and the amounts are too low for local LEO (to payment address) to mess with. This is a scam.

If you receive a message such as this please DO NOT FOLLOW THROUGH with the deal but instead use the report feature discussed below to report the action.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

This is rampant on some other sites I belong to. Exactly like said by No 1 and usually a gmail address.

Vendor Sponsor

My situation is a little different, but I get a considerable amount of 0 posts PM's looking for cylinder work they heard about on another site, google, friends, etc. None have come from scammers. They join in order to send me a PM. Hopefully these new members will be active and add something to the community.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I got the same scam pm to me too! My method of determination of scam was to go to the membership list and when the other party isn’t a member. Was going to. Pm No 1 but saw the the banning. Thanks to the group for watching everyone back!

Scam alert!

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    I received a PM from a (so called) member here who joined in APR22, has ZERO posts, and has been banned. His suggestion was to contact a third party via email about an item I was looking for some months ago. This is not the first time but the second time I have received a PM here from someone with ZERO posts. Spammer???
    Here is the PM I received:

H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth
    I purchased some items from Hockett927 some days ago and H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email dougson804@gmail.com

I had been looking for this book for a long time and was excited to see one come up.
    After a few email exchanges with dougson804@gmail.com, I sent the money via PayPal friends and family.
    I will file a fraud claim with PP and hopefully get my money back.
    I would like to say that I am super careful on line, but I was taken. The is always a first time for everything, and this is the first time I have ever been scammed.
    Pretty good scam if I may say so myself.
    THIS IS A SCAM AND YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub

beware of scammers

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Here is the PM I received:

H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth
    I purchased some items from Hockett927 some days ago and H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email dougson804@gmail.com

I had been looking for this book for a long time and was excited to see one come up.
    After a few email exchanges with dougson804@gmail.com, I sent the money via PayPal friends and family.
    I will file a fraud claim with PP and hopefully get my money back.
    I would like to say that I am super careful on line, but I was taken. The is always a first time for everything, and this is the first time I have ever been scammed.
    Pretty good scam if I may say so myself.
    THIS IS A SCAM AND YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT.
    I don't think Paypal is going to help you if payment was PayPal friends and family. I think they only offer protection if payment is done with a payment for goods and services requiring a fee to be levied. I think Paypal feels that if you sent money to a family member or friend, you should not need help to get it back.
    Last edited by gwozdz; 04-04-2022 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add text

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast