RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Scammers

Boolit Bub
    I recently bought a rifle from a gent that advertised on another web site.
    It was expensive (for me)

Naturally after a detailed exchange about the rifle itself,

This is what I did to vet the seller before I sent the $$$
    1, He had been a member of the site for MANY Years with many educated posts
    2, I required his home address and business name and address
    3, I did a Zillow search on the home address and public property search / address with ownership information
    4, Tax Lien search
    5, Business search, age address BBB etc.
    6, Cashiers checks require government ID to cash or deposit.
    7, NO PO Box
    Last edited by rjmelehan; 04-08-2022 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjmelehan View Post
    Well tell us.... Was the $60.00 worth it or was it a SCAM..?
    Actually BOTH.
    It WAS a scam.
    It taught me a BIG lesson.
    I will be VERY cautious in the future.
    I am grateful it wasn't for more money than just $60.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Mold
    As much as i hate admit.I just got took for 173 dollars from a outfit calling itself PRIMER12.Out of Florida.Learned a big lesson.

Boolit Bub
    Murdoc,

Where in Florida...?
    I live in Saint Augustine.. If they're close enough maybe I can place a bag of flaming dog doo on their front porch for you

Boolit Mold
    Lake Wales Fl. I googled it.It was at a house.GOT PLAYED.But i appreciate the offer.
    Last edited by Murdock; 04-10-2022 at 09:01 AM.

Boolit Mold
    How do i warn other members about it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    How do i warn other members about it.
    What type of product was the scammer using as his hook?

Create a generic WARNING posting you can place on this and on other web sites "For Sale or Trade" sections
    with any names, references, addresses etc.

Post the warning on Facebook Market place (Orlando and surrounding areas.) ebay etc.
    File a complaint with the Lake Wales police for fraud alert.

I'm sure there are many more ways to alert and or search if someone is a scammer.

I've fortunately been able (so far) to be able to ferret out the on line scammers so far.
    Now I have been conned by some contractors in the past. Usually it's the one's who wear their religion on their sleeve.

Boolit Mold
    Powder and primers was the hook. And they caught a sucker. But i learned a lesson.Filed a complaint with BETTER BUSINESS in Florida last week.Thanks for the info.

9. 04-14-2022, 06:19 AM

Boolit Buddy
    I have this book, and I got what I need from it (better schematics and dates for revolvers that I had)...PM me and I will send it your way.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Here is the PM I received:

H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth
    I purchased some items from Hockett927 some days ago and H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email dougson804@gmail.com

I had been looking for this book for a long time and was excited to see one come up.
    After a few email exchanges with dougson804@gmail.com, I sent the money via PayPal friends and family.
    I will file a fraud claim with PP and hopefully get my money back.
    I would like to say that I am super careful on line, but I was taken. The is always a first time for everything, and this is the first time I have ever been scammed.
    Pretty good scam if I may say so myself.
    THIS IS A SCAM AND YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT.

Moderator Emeritus

A new one to watch out for!!! I got an email from my bank indicating they found an error THEY had made, and I needed but log into my account to apply this. Eleven dollars and seventy-five cents -- surely not an amount to raise any eyebrows, eh? Their site appeared 99.9999% bone-fide. BUT -- I do not know which English teacher I had many years back to thank, but "compromised" was misspelled, "comprimised". This raised kind of a red flag, so I checked source of communication, and all was/is exactly the same as vis my bank -- EXCEPT IT WAS FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER DOT AND THE LETTERS "RU" (.ru).
    I have no idea what may have happened had I done anything other than deleting all without clicking anything; running my virus-program; and finally shutting computer totally down...
    Anyhoos -- again the bank imagery was soooo close to identical -- I reckoned I'd post this so you may take a closer look should you receive "mistake" messages from your banking institution.
    geo

12. 05-14-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    A new one to watch out for!!! I got an email from my bank indicating they found an error THEY had made, and I needed but log into my account to apply this. Eleven dollars and seventy-five cents -- surely not an amount to raise any eyebrows, eh? Their site appeared 99.9999% bone-fide. BUT -- I do not know which English teacher I had many years back to thank, but "compromised" was misspelled, "comprimised". This raised kind of a red flag, so I checked source of communication, and all was/is exactly the same as vis my bank -- EXCEPT IT WAS FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER DOT AND THE LETTERS "RU" (.ru).
    I have no idea what may have happened had I done anything other than deleting all without clicking anything; running my virus-program; and finally shutting computer totally down...
    Anyhoos -- again the bank imagery was soooo close to identical -- I reckoned I'd post this so you may take a closer look should you receive "mistake" messages from your banking institution.
    geo
    The "ru" indicates the mail came from Russia, George. If you had answered it, they would have asked for all kinds of "verification", and if you'd given it, the rest would be history. It only takes them a couple of minutes to completely clean out your bank account.

Good call in deleting it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Any website that you go to and they have payments like Zelle, Venmo, Bitcoin etc. and no credit cards then its a scam, all legitimate websites will have credit card processing. As good as the deal sounds its mostly scam sites popping up now. Primers are a big scam these days, if you see any site that has primers and the prices are a little over the regular price before all this gouging started then you know its a scam.

Just remember the payment options and you will not be taken advantage of. These scammers take a lot of time making up these sites to scam people and they are getting away with it, so be warned.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by stanford View Post
    Any website that you go to and they have payments like Zelle, Venmo, Bitcoin etc. and no credit cards then its a scam, all legitimate websites will have credit card processing. As good as the deal sounds its mostly scam sites popping up now. Primers are a big scam these days, if you see any site that has primers and the prices are a little over the regular price before all this gouging started then you know its a scam.

Just remember the payment options and you will not be taken advantage of. These scammers take a lot of time making up these sites to scam people and they are getting away with it, so be warned.
    To "add" to stanford's post, when paying for anything/everything on line, NEVER EVER use a Debit card!!! Using a credit card -- I've been there -- frauds and scams are generally covered (including a purchase I made -- so statement indicated -- in Texas -- in amount $783.62 USD -- which Credit card took care of in full). However, if one uses a debit card -- they're out of luck in attempts to recoup funds about 99.99% of the time!
    geo

Vendor Sponsor

I fell for my first scam site a month ago. paid with paypal. Scammer tryed to send something other than what I ordered but sent it to incorrect address. Numerous attempts to contact them went unanswered. Contacted Paypal cced all the emails I sent plus the incorrect delivery attempt . took 2 weeks but got my money back
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the heads up. Got a unsolicited PM from a user named kdxoxc mentioning Rebek having what I want. I replied without giving it any thought and only started to seem suspicious after I responded. Looked up kdxoxc and only has 3 posts and is banned. Scam likely? Rebek doesn't even blip on the username search radar.

Boolit Buddy

I got the same hit as guzma393 from kdxoxc notified a MOD and they took him out of play...Good job...

Boolit Mold
    Kdxoxc said Rebek also had what I wanted. Glad I searched him name and found this. It definitely helps when scammers are identified and user name posted.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    To "add" to stanford's post, when paying for anything/everything on line, NEVER EVER use a Debit card!!! Using a credit card -- I've been there -- frauds and scams are generally covered (including a purchase I made -- so statement indicated -- in Texas -- in amount $783.62 USD -- which Credit card took care of in full). However, if one uses a debit card -- they're out of luck in attempts to recoup funds about 99.99% of the time!
    geo
    I had advised my clients before retired (C.P.A.) to never use a debit card unless it is on basically a throw away account or funded for a specific purchase. You basically have zero recourse with a debit card as the money belongs to you, not the bank or credit card company. You can loose everything in it in a blink of an eye. I am not providing any financial advice as I am retired, just stating what was done in the past (cya in action).

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

caveat emptor fellas

I saw this meme on reddit, it about sums up the general state of reloading right now. if it sounds to good to be true, it is. If you get an unsolited message, it's a scam. trust no one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1720[1].JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	301217
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I had advised my clients before retired (C.P.A.) to never use a debit card unless it is on basically a throw away account or funded for a specific purchase. You basically have zero recourse with a debit card as the money belongs to you, not the bank or credit card company. You can loose everything in it in a blink of an eye. I am not providing any financial advice as I am retired, just stating what was done in the past (cya in action).
    I have one Debit Card which I "have" to use . To wit, the card was issued by my Credit Union, and said institution has a silly rule/benefit where one garners a few tenths of a per cent more interest on savings provided their debit card is used regularly -- twice/month as minimum suggested. I get my hairs cut monthly, with Credit Union building in same shopping centre, so I regularly "buy some cash" following each haircut. I have not been redownded for the but-once monthly use -- but that is MY one and only employment of my Debit card!
    In addition to RISKS using a debit card -- hey -- I get cash-back on my credit cards. NOT paying any interest -- I pay each off in full monthly -- it's like I'm getting paid to use the credit card.
    Just an added thought or two...
    geo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast