MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: It’s ready!

Boolit Bub

It’s ready!

Everything is now in place, I’m ready to start casting.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D8CEF7B6-E6FC-43E8-A397-0466F2D5CBEC.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Ok. What is all that stuff?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    Good luck, don't get discouraged if the few don't turn out well.

Remember that mistakes can be remelted and cast again.

Stay safe while doing anything near melted metal.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the fan. Hope it works
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    What is the air tank for?

Boolit Bub
    The fan is a remnant from my casting days in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I saved it from my old house. A casting friend recommended it and I found it would suck all the flux smoke away so my confidence was high. Must have worked, two kids later proved my swimmers were okay.

The air tank is for the Star sizer lube pressure cylinder. Much more consistent than the pressure screw. I sold this sizer some 15 years ago to a friend who never could sell it at the gun shows. No one would pay what it was worth. I got it back about a year ago complete with heater, bullet feeder in 3 calibers, and cylinder. I need to finish piping the compressed air back into this new garage so I won’t need the tank.

That same friend also gave me the second Master Caster on the bottom shelf. It was a mess. I disassembled it, abrasion blasted the metal bits and had those parkerized. Seems a good finish choice since it resists heat and the porosity will hold oil preventing rust. I also blasted the operating handle and had the frame chemically stripped. Then had both parts powder coated. Unlike the 1 year old Master Caster on top, the frame on this old one is cast steel, not aluminum. The original maker’s plate must have been aluminum and was held with the four rivets seen on the front. That was long gone. All hardware was replaced with black oxide stainless. Gotta love McMasters. The fan has a new cord but the melting pot was kaput. A Master Pot is on order to finish it, whenever Magma can get the bits to build them again. Not sure yet what I’ll do with a second Master Caster, but it never hurts to have two of everything.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7C9DD1EE-EB47-4DA1-9242-1EB8685BC7E6.jpg   93FA3FBD-3A24-482D-9018-0826D9BAA810.jpg  
    Last edited by swOhioMatt; 04-03-2022 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Syntax, added a few more details

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swOhioMatt View Post
    The fan is a remnant from my casting days in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I saved it from my old house. A casting friend recommended it and I found it would suck all the flux smoke away so my confidence was high. Must have worked, two kids later proved my swimmers were okay.

The air tank is for the Star sizer lube pressure cylinder. Much more consistent than the pressure screw. I sold this sizer some 15 years ago to a friend who never could sell it at the gun shows. No one would pay what it was worth. I got it back complete with heater and cylinder about a year ago. I need to finish piping the compressed air back into this new garage so I won’t need the tank.

That same friend also gave me the second Master Caster on the bottom shelf. It was a mess. I disassembled it, abrasion blasted the metal bits and had those parkerized. Seems a good finish choice since it resists heat and the porosity will hold oil preventing rust. I also blasted the operating handle and had the frame chemically stripped. Then had both parts powder coated. The frame is cast steel not aluminum like the 1 year old Master Caster on top. The original maker’s plate must have been aluminum and was held with the four rivets seen on the front. That was long gone. All hardware was replaced with black oxide stainless. Gotta love McMasters. The fan has a new cord but the melting pot was kaput. A Master Pot is on order to finish it, whenever Magma can get the bits to build them again. Not sure yet what I’ll do with a second Master Caster, but it never hurts to have two of everything.

Matt
    Nice set-up! Very nice!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Nice set-up! Very nice!
    Thank you. Looking forward to making lots and lots of great shooting bullets with this equipment.

Matt

Boolit Bub
    Now have air piped into this garage. I’ve got a couple more drops to install but this gets me within a few feet of the casting bench. Won’t be needing that air tank anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2B98988D-8587-4C83-92AA-F4AB40C29C15.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Appreciate the enthusiasm but what am i looking at?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    3/4” galvanized pipe from a 50 gallon two stage compressor in the adjacent building. Still got some more to do, but the hard part is finished.

Hatch Automation is going to put together a semi automatic pour valve for the Master Caster. Not sure if he’ll go pneumatic or an electric solenoid, think I’ll steer him toward pneumatic.
    Last edited by swOhioMatt; 04-15-2022 at 07:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Everything is now in place, I’m ready to start casting.

Matt
    Good Luck !
    Gary Matt
    Here's to careful planning !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

3/4” galvanized pipe from a 50 gallon two stage compressor in the adjacent building. Still got some more to do, but the hard part is finished.

Hatch Automation is going to put together a semi automatic pour valve for the Master Caster. Not sure if he’ll go pneumatic or an electric solenoid, think I’ll steer him toward pneumatic.
    Excellent!
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Having an air compressor in the garage is very handy. Drive the truck there and check tire air pressure and top them off. Have had one for about 25 years and when done open the drain on the bottom to let out any trapped moisture and leave it open until next time. Plus have some air powered tools. Frank

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Having an air compressor in the garage is very handy. Drive the truck there and check tire air pressure and top them off. Have had one for about 25 years and when done open the drain on the bottom to let out any trapped moisture and leave it open until next time. Plus have some air powered tools. Frank
    3 years ago this building replaced one half it’s size. The old one also had air, I just needed to get motivated and put up the pipe. My impetus was the boy needed air to run his vacuum bag for a dining room table he’s making. The bag is perfect to secure a veneer top. Should have done it sooner, so much is possible when compressed air is available. 120 feet of pipe in two days, mostly by myself, I’m going to feel this for a couple days.
    Matt

Boolit Bub

Revisions

Like all good plans, they aren't perfect.

I found judging how long to hold the handle releasing the pb was tricky. Too short and the bases didn't fill out due to a small sprue. Too long and you had a pb mess all over the casting bench. I've added a pneumatic cylinder to operate the valve. Two switches must close for the pb. One on the carriage to prove the mold is in place and then the silver button just left of the Master Caster to start the pour. The timer to the left of the switch sets the pour time.

The other change was in resizing. I don't remember it being so hard on my elbow 25 years ago. I decided to mechanize one of my Star sizers https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...tar-lube-sizer. The button to the right of the center sizer operates the cylinder, sizing the bullet. Release the button and the cylinder automatically retracts.

I think that's it for now. Seems to be where I need it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casting bench.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	300511
    Matt