RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Can u use hardball (92% lead) for 577-450 HM grease groove or PP boolits?

Boolit Mold

Can u use hardball (92% lead) for 577-450 HM grease groove or PP boolits?

I was just wondering. Ik ppl have said to use a 20-1 ratio. But i have hardball and that is about 15-1. Is this close enough? Prolly gonna use grease groove boolits.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

That 15 - 1 alloy will work just fine for your GG bullets.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The 15-1 shouldn’t be any problem for PP boolits nor greased, as long as you find the lube that works best for your situation.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks that will save the trouble of having to add lead to the hardball and worry about getting it mixed up with the rest. reloading for this thing is a little more pricey than i thought. I had to go to CBE in australia for a mold it cost $260 for a single cavity 470 grease grooved mold. But with that i dont need to make grease cookies or PP. The 457 molds and stuff r cheap and available tho. I do have one of those as well.

Boolit Buddy
    You might need to use a grease cookie under a gg boolit in the MH, just like you would normally do if shooting a PP boolit, if you get leading problems with the nekkid one. This advice from Paul Matthews "Loading the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle".

Boolit Master
    Depends on what size you cast them. The MH rifling is tapered for the first foot or so. They generally start somewhere between 0.468-0.472 and smoosh down to 450-something.

Many MH bullets depended on obduration to bump the bullets up from 450-something to around 0.470" throat, and that calls for a fairly soft bullet. The original black powder loads were paper patched with various card wads, felt wads, and grease cookies under it.

I cast mine in wheel weight, size 0.469", and shoot over a small charge of trail boss. I ended up with an easy shooting load that runs ~800fps.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    A .450 bullet will bump up no problem to that size when using that alloy and black. It does for me.

Boolit Buddy
    It will actually bump up before the bullet moves.

Boolit Master
    Wait up guys,
    "Hardball ' alloy is Not 15-1, as in 15+1 lead/tin which will indeed bump up nicely in BP loads.
    Hardball is 92% lead/6% antimony/2% lead.
    I expect it will NOT bump up much if at all in Danm55's 577/450 MH. But it will work if you load a bullet that is at or preferably at least a thousandth over initial groove diameter just in front of the chamber.

And, Danm55, Accurate molds company could have cut a mold to the larger diameter specs for your MH for you here and a lot cheaper than the one from AU. YOu just need to do a pound cast just in front of the chamber and so measure the initial groove diameter . Also, check the fire formed case I.D.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Also, Danm55,
    A guy that goes by the handle of "Martini Belgium" attends the shiloh and the ASSRA forums, and
    could lead you well in the care and feeding of the 577-450 MH. Just go on these forums and start a thread on "577-450 Help needed"
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    A .450 bullet works just fine in a Martini if you use a binary alloy, i.e. lead/tin. It won't bump with antimony.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danm55 View Post
    Thanks that will save the trouble of having to add lead to the hardball and worry about getting it mixed up with the rest. reloading for this thing is a little more pricey than i thought. I had to go to CBE in australia for a mold it cost $260 for a single cavity 470 grease grooved mold. But with that i dont need to make grease cookies or PP. The 457 molds and stuff r cheap and available tho. I do have one of those as well.
    ?????? The CBE molds list at $120 AUD ....we run .75 U$ so their list is around 90-95 bucks US ....where did the rest go?????? just askin