MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
PBcastcoWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman or Hornady GC for .358 Win. ???

Boolit Buddy

Lyman or Hornady GC for .358 Win. ???

I'm going to start pouring boolits for my .358 Win and my mold drops a boolit with a .341 shank base. Of the two gas checks listed, which has the best fit to base and a .358" or larger OD after installation? If there is another GC you have used with better results, please let me know. I mainly use Sage GC'c and never used them on anything smaller in diameter than my 10mm. . .and Sage is out of stock!!! Thank you for your input in advance.

Boolit Master
    ive never had a problem with hornady gas checks, I used a lot of the 35 cal ones on 357 mag, 35 rem, 35 whelen, only problem I ever had was with one certain mold they didn't want to stick very good so a little dab of bullet lube on bottom of bullet before lube sizing cured that problem. plus they are usually less expensive than Lyman , gator checks are good too. gas checks are kind of like primers in a way, its better to have too many than not enough.

I have been using Gator checks from Sage's. I have the NOE tool for beveling the base, when I gave trouble. You can get both from NOE? hc18flyer

Hornady made gas checks for Lyman in the 90's and probably still do.

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy neighbor. I've used the gator gas checks on 357/38 & 35 Rem without issues before. Currently I have started making my own aluminum gas checks from .010 flashing for my 358 Win (still out being barreled). My lead will be in this week and I expect to cast some boolits by the weekend. I'll let you know if there are any issues with the homemade checks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brasshog View Post
    Howdy neighbor. I've used the gator gas checks on 357/38 & 35 Rem without issues before. Currently I have started making my own aluminum gas checks from .010 flashing for my 358 Win (still out being barreled). My lead will be in this week and I expect to cast some boolits by the weekend. I'll let you know if there are any issues with the homemade checks.
    Brasshog,
    Well. . .how did the gas checks turn out? I would be very interested in adding this craft to my reloading arsenal. . .there is just something rewarding about adding to self-efficiency.