RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rechambering a single shot rifle to 25/35 winchester.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    That is an important factor truckjohn. Discussions about a 1:9 might be in order.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts would be my choice

Just buy one and save money on lathe work, wood work, reamers, headspace gauges, sight base holes
    scope bases etc
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Check with Edstc.com

Look under “hot deals”

He gets discounted barrels from MGM (As I recall). I would ask him what the twist is for his .25-35 Win.

I bought a carbine barrel in 25-20 Win for my Contender and like it.

Good luck and good shooting!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I barreled a FBW action to .25-35, with an unknown maker barrel blank. It had the Winchester 1:9” twist. Later I had Biencke&Biencke reline a .30-30 Savage 99 with a 1:10” twist liner and chamber it for .25-35.

The Savage is much less finicky about loads than the FBW (especially cast), and shoots the standard 117-gr and 120-gr jacketed boolits as accurately as the FBW does.

Somebody had an article in a long-ago Rifle magazine where they chambered a 14” twist .25-20/.250 Savage barrel to .25-35, for 87-gr and 60-gr bullets. Sort of a souped-up .256 Magnum. Can’t recall whether he tried the 117-gr jacketed roundnoses to see how they did. Kind of a moot point anyway since .25 caliber jacketed roundnoses aren’t all that easily found anymore.

Admittedly, it’s just one sample, but if I was to do it over again, I’d have a 10” twist on the FBW as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    For a break action rifle the Thompson Contender would be a good choice. I never seen a factory T/C rifle barrel in 25-35 but I'm sure they are out there. But MGM and Bullberry both chamber it.
    For bolt action Remington 788's where chambered in 30-30 so you have a bolt that works with just a rebarrel. But these rifles bring premium prices.
    Are you that set on the 25-35? The old 30-40 krags have been rebarreled to 25 krags. I am not sure if it is just the 30-40 necked down to 25 cal with no other changes. If it is then the 25 krags would give you the same cast friendly long neck as the 25-35.
    Anything can be done for the right price. Like jedman mentioned you could stub a H&R handi. But from what prices I have seen if you can't do it your self or have a Machinist buddy the price of the stubbing is about the same as a T/C barrel.
    I have my Encore with a 25 Krag AI 40 degree barrel. I've posted here on my process of making brass - it is more than simply squeezing the neck down. The case is extended up the neck and the timing of the sizing and annealing process is critical in making brass. The advantage of that cartridge, other than the rim for a single shot, is that is has two grains water capacity greater than the 257AI and two grains water capacity less than the 25-06. I have data for both of those cartridges in my Serria manuals. Finding a load is easy. Mine is a 9 twist.

My gunsmith in Virginia Beach has the reamers.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12