WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 200 GC in .358 Win Remington feeding

Lee 200 GC in .358 Win Remington feeding

This is the rifle I had rebored by JES. It is a Remington 660 that started life as a 6mm Rem.. I finally got to loading for it using cast boolits. I am loading two 200 grain moulds from Lee - one gas checked and one plain base. Also a 200 grain mould from NOE with hollow points. For brass I am using new Starline. I loaded some up using IMR 4227 with boolit seated to the crimp groove. OAL 2.47 " with no crimp. They chamber beautifully but will not feed from the magazine.

I want to start shooting for groups and velocity. Using cast boolit load data from Lyman and Lee. All well below jacketed bullet loads. Looking for about 2,000 fps.

Anyone have advice about making these feed from the magazine?

Jim

Boolit Master

I lik a MP version of that bullet but my Ruger feeds all just fine. Maybe Adj OAL.

But RE7 is my go to, but 5744 was pretty good. My vel target is 1800 my bullet is 220g. 2400 can get ya there too.

Bullet workd was at 1800 on deer cast in Quenched WW.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

The same bullet in the same action but in 350RM has been feeding for me. Shorter cast pistol bullets fed poorly, but this 200 and up seem fine.

Maybe, seating yours as long as practical would help.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jim

The feed lips may need to be adjusted a 6 mm Rem has more body taper and a smaller should diameter as compared to a 358 case. Maybe try chambering a 6mm cartridge and watch how the feed lips allow it to pop up at the correct time or bolt position. Then chamber your 358 and see what the difference is. Guessing it pops up too late and jams.

JES did a M SEVEN Predator for me using my custom 350 Legend reamer (larger mouth)

I am sure there is a video showing this.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I lik a MP version of that bullet but my Ruger feeds all just fine. Maybe Adj OAL.

But RE7 is my go to, but 5744 was pretty good. My vel target is 1800 my bullet is 220g. 2400 can get ya there too.

Bullet workd was at 1800 on deer cast in Quenched WW.

CW
    CW you were right. Adjusting OAL was the ticket. Seating to the crimp groove gave me an OAL of 2.47". I made up a dummy round and seated the boolit further out which allows the rounds to feed easily from the magazine. I settled on an OAL of 2.57" because they feed fine and the lube grooves are covered. Thanks to everyone.

Jim

Boolit Master

Good deal man!! Its a good bullet for lreformance and accuracy. Hope ya enjoy it!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

The 600/660 rifles are great for carrying and the stock is actually designed well for offhand shooting. You've just made yours even better. A .358 is so versatile.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The 600/660 rifles are great for carrying and the stock is actually designed well for offhand shooting.
    Rub it in, why don't you.

As a starving student, I had the chance to buy a full set of 600s, at a great price, less the 308 that the old boy meant to keep. I was so starving, though, that I had to buy but one, the 350, one week and its dies and brass the next.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.