Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: .430 A Zone Hard Cast Bullets for hunting

Boolit Man

.430 A Zone Hard Cast Bullets for hunting

I've got a CVA Scout 25" barreled .44 magnum rifle and plan to reload for deer hunting. In addition to jacketed bullets, I've got 500 A Zone hard cast .430 bullets in weights of 215 and 240 grains. These do not have a gas check. Can I use .44 magnum reloading data or do I need to reduce the load because of no gas check? If so, how much? Any deer hunting reloading suggestions? Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest, for use in the rifle, using the 240s with 4227. Use 44 Magnum data but begin with the start load and work up in 1/2 gr increments testing with minimum of 8 shot test strings at 100 yards or the max reasonable range you expect to shoot a deer at. The accuracy of the PB bullets will probably go south before a maximum load (25 gr 4227 +/-) is reached.

If you cast or buy cast bullets in the future a GC'd bullet will enable you to achive the maximum performance out of your rifle with accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Well said by Larry, But your bullet diameter may not be fitting to your bore (poss. too small for bore) for good velocity. Rifle barrels by SAAMI specs tend to be larger.

Boolit Master

HUH??
    I use 429 or 430 in mine with no issues
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I also use .430 cast plane base, no gas checks, in 215 and 240 weights. Usually use the 240 weight. I also use a medium charge of 2400 powder. Good luck and have fun.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    Just Google 44 mag SAAMI Spec bore size & you will see a lot of what I'm saying. It's there, been there & done that.

Boolit Grand Master

The last two "new" 44 rifles [M92 44-40 (Cimerron/Chiappa Rio Bravo) and Winchester 44 Magnum M94] both have .429 barrels. I believe that appears to be industry standard these days regardless of SAAMI spec.

I might add if those commercial bullets do give leading then I'd suspect the lube (probably a hard wax lube). An application of a light coat of LLA, letting dry thoroughly before loading, with negate most, if not all, the leading.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-02-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    The rifle I'm loading for is a CVA Scout .44 magnum single shot with a 25" barrel. The A Zone hard cast bullet box says ".430" on both the 215 and 240 grain boxes. I've got some LLA that I can add to the already sized/lubed (but old) bullets. At this point, it seems like I need to use the LLA on the bullets, let them dry, reload with Herco powder via printed data, and head to the gun range to see what I've got. Starting with a minimum load, I can then adjust my loading as needed. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep shots within an inch or so at 50 yards which is very suitable for deer hunting. Should the Herco loading not prove to be satisfactory with this rifle, I've got 4227, 296, 2400, and H110 powders that are commonly used in .44 magnum reloading. Thanks for everyone's input and sharing your wealth of experience/knowledge. Tom