Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting on a full stomach.

Boolit Master
    I should probably edit my post - I am not advocating drinking as a leisure activity while shooting, but alcohol can be used medicinally. I have a job that requires very steady, precise dexterity - I have to make sure that I eat right the night before (protein, fats, restricted complex carbs) and the morning of. I still have to take a beta blocker for long range precision to be competitive at all.
    I will use alcohol if it's practice, I sip an ounce of bourbon with water during my outing. I don't really even feel the effects, but my shakes do abate fairly quickly - without the bleh feeling from atenolol.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I hadn’t realized until now that eating or not eating could have any effect. I’ve been known to go shooting after supper. Or, before when I’m hungry. Maybe that explains some of the variation I’ve seen when trying for groups and not just plinking.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I hadn’t realized until now that eating or not eating could have any effect. I’ve been known to go shooting after supper. Or, before when I’m hungry. Maybe that explains some of the variation I’ve seen when trying for groups and not just plinking.
    Ive never known anyone that will shoot the same score, the same group size time after time after time after time after time after time. The human platform just isn't that consistant regardless of what one does. That is the reason the same person doesn't win match after match after match after match. Many things have an influence on ones shooting. One thing is lighting conditions. Many other things. It is an elusive endeavor to reach the epitome of phenominal accuracy. If a full or empty stomach was the key that would be an easy fix. Either don't eat before a match or eat before a match.

Boolit Master
    I never eat breakfast the morning before a match. I've found out over time that I do better if I'm a little hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I never eat breakfast the morning before a match. I've found out over time that I do better if I'm a little hungry.
    In that case you might try to eat a candy 10-15 min before the match. Chances are that your scores will improve. It's not a universal recipe though - it's individual.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I’d asoon tell the wife she’s fat just before she was going to make supper as to give up my coffee!
    I tried it once.

After about a week, I woke up one morning feeling probably the worst I’ve ever felt (including Covid).

I thought I had the flu. I called in sick to work and stayed in bed all day, feeling so weak it was a chore to lift my head off the pillow.

I was going to school and that evening was review for final in a very tough class. So I drug my butt out of bed and left for class. I decided to stop at the store for a cup off coffee to help me focus. Boom! It was like Popeye eating his spinach. Instant cure!

The reason I tried kicking coffee was an experience in a rimfire match a couple weeks earlier. I left home without coffee and picked some up just before reaching the range. I started sipping the coffee after about my second string, and the effects of even just a little bit were obvious next time at the line.. Tremors started, breathing and heart rate got faster.

Boolit Master

Like anything else do do with precision shooting and handloading, if you're trying to take things to the edge, best thing is to document and study.

My Dad and I were heavy into Highpower Rifle in my mid-20's and his mid-40's. I didn't drink coffee the day of the match; Dad did, and I said it was probably lowering his scores. His reply was that without coffee he would shoot REALLY low scores because he wouldn't even make it to the match.

Any more, I think of it as applied to hunting or CCW and the time that you shoot will be chosen by events outside your control, so it's probably good to deliberately develop knowledge of your "chemical" extremes.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

If he was talking about all shooting, prone position is much better on an empty stomach. I think his sitting position with the revolver just ahead of the knee might be better also.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

...before...a glass of milk = 500mg. calcium_
    if tolerated, it lowers and regulates the heart beat
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12