WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting on a full stomach.

Shooting on a full stomach.

I was reading sixguns and Elmer Keith recommends not shooting on a full stomach. He was talking primarily about handgun matches but in general he said shoot on an empty stomach if you want the best accuracy. He didn’t say as to why. Does anyone have a take on this?

Boolit Master

Your body moves to digest food; so shooting on an empty stomach helps two things your heart rate and breathing.

Your blood goes to your stomach and intestines to help you digest food. That’s why we get sleepy after a meal. If blood is there it can’t be circulating around your muscles keeping them as steady as they need to be. At least thats what I understand. But I’m no doctor. Sure a real therapist will reply.

I didn’t think of that. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve always had better luck hunting on an empty stomach. Some primal hormones must kick in when you are hungry.

When "Instant Breakfast" came out it was used to help minimize the bobbing.

Things a little slow?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I was reading sixguns and Elmer Keith recommends not shooting on a full stomach. He was talking primarily about handgun matches but in general he said shoot on an empty stomach if you want the best accuracy. He didn’t say as to why. Does anyone have a take on this?
    This maybe an answer you don't want to hear but, If one shoots good enough offhand, especially with a handgun, to be concerned about shooting on a full or empty stomach I want to see them shoot.
    It should be a treat in a big way.

Boolit Master

I did notice when I was shooting combat matches in the 70's and 80's that if I took an aspirin or drank coffee just before shooting in a match that my score didn't match my capabilities. I don't know the correlation but even my wife made a comment about it. Of course it could have just been another excuse for a bad day. james

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    This maybe an answer you don't want to hear but, If one shoots good enough offhand, especially with a handgun, to be concerned about shooting on a full or empty stomach I want to see them shoot.
    It should be a treat in a big way.
    I can’t do that well. The best I’ve ever been able to do was holding 6” at 75 yard offhand. I can still do it half the time. On plates. I used to be able to hit an empty shotshell at 25, with a single six. But I practiced every single day. Now, I can hit a coke can, offhand but really struggle to hit or scare a shotshell hull.

Boolit Master
    Most of us could do better when we were younger having better eyes, nerves, could stand more still and keep our thoughts in control of what we were doing. That is the price of getting older. I was a lot better shot years ago. Shot 22RF to 45 Auto to 44 Magnum to 454 Casull to a 14 inch 458 Win Mag Encore and a 13 inch 50 Alaskan. Not now. My "GOLDEN YEARS" have moved in and have taken over.

Boolit Grand Master

Food some medications coffee or caffeine all affect heart bet respiration insulin and blood pressure, these affect vision,muscles coordination and concentration.

Whats even worse than the guy drinking a coffee is the guy who drinks a 32 ouncer a couple times a day is him not drinking it

I’d asoon tell the wife she’s fat just before she was going to make supper as to give up my coffee!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I’d asoon tell the wife she’s fat just before she was going to make supper as to give up my coffee!
    Smart man on BOTH points!

Boolit Master

Odd. I don’t shoot immediately after eating but have at times skipped a meal to go shooting. I don’t shoot as well then, attribute it to low blood sugar or something similar.

Boolit Master
    It's essentially creating a mild vagal response. A number of the folks I shoot long range with take a beta blocker or even a small tot of alcohol prior to getting behind the glass to obtain the desired effect. Immediately after eating you'll notice that your pulse is more pronounced, your heart rate quickens, and your respiratory rate increases. It doesn't take long to figure out the crosshairs move a great deal with each heartbeat.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the '60s or early '70s there was a series of "discussions" in the gun magazines by most all the top pistol shooter/writers as to which "drink" was the best group tightener. They also discussed the load, as in # of shots to be consumed between relays, of such and what was considered a "max" load...... It was quite interesting but probably very un PC these days.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I can't make any kind of decent group on a full stomach. It disturbs my breath control pretty severely.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I get really shaky if I don’t eat prior to shooting.l
    I assume focusing so hard ramps up my metabolism. Then again, I’m far from a competitive shooter!

The suggestion not to shoot on an empty stomach is no different than the same about partaking in any sport or work that requires fine motoric skills, for the reasons that dannyd articulated.
    It does not matter which physical activity - it only matters that blood flows from muscles to the digestive tract.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast