Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: On CFE223

Boolit Mold

On CFE223

I reload exclusively military rounds, primarily rimless bottle necked jacketed ammo, but some rimmed cast lead black powder as well. As we all know, components have been very difficult to come by lately. I was browsing a website and they had 8lb jugs of CFE223 in stock. For those of you who dont know, CFE223 was developed specifically to eek out as much velocity as possible out of cartridges like .222 and .223 Remington, .204 Ruger, .224 Valkryie, however Hodgdon lists data for cartridges like .308, .30-06, 8x57mm, 7.7 Jap, .303, basically most full bore .30 cal rifle cartridges. So i bought 8lbs. I had worked up loads in both 8x57mm and 7.7 Jap.

This is a bit of advice/warning for those of you planning to use CFE223. Do not start with the starting loads in .30 cal rifle cartridges. I experienced several hang fires in both my Arisaka and Czech Mauser, as well as a squib. Luckily the bullet had only entered the throat so it was easy to pound out. Basically this: if using CFE223 be wary of starting loads.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting. I use CFE223 extensively and at or near starting loads. In my M1 Garand I run right at the minimum load, and very close to the minimum in my 223 Rem. Could it be primer related?? I've only tried Winchester primers with my loads.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I only use CFE223 in .223 so far, but have considered trying it in .308.

Boolit Grand Master

I am on my 3rd 8 pounder of CFE223. I currently am using Winchester primers for my summertime prairie dog loads. They near max loads. Zero issues. Ball powder in general is harder to ignite so for cold weather yote loads I switch to magnum primers.

My guess is a hotter primer or more neck tension would eliminate your issues.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have used CFE223 in .223 and 8x57mm and it's good in both for jacketed bullets.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    CFE = copper fouling eliminator. Whether or not it works I couldn’t tell you. But that’s how it was marketed
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Very interesting. I use CFE223 extensively and at or near starting loads. In my M1 Garand I run right at the minimum load, and very close to the minimum in my 223 Rem. Could it be primer related?? I've only tried Winchester primers with my loads.
    My loads were also using Winchester primers

Boolit Master
    ive had bad winchester primers, not the older ones that were silver but the newer brass ones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    CFE = copper fouling eliminator. Whether or not it works I couldn’t tell you. But that’s how it was marketed
    I was impressed by the lack of jacket fouling in my barrels when I tried it several years ago.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TerkyJerky View Post
    My loads were also using Winchester primers
    Don't know what it could be then, I'll keep following the discussion.
    Hick: Iron sights!