WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making biscuit dough to freeze.

Boolit Master

making biscuit dough to freeze.

I make scratch biscuits all the time for my family. When it's just my wife and me, I don't want to cook a whole batch and would like to freeze the formed biscuits for later cooking. I have tried baking them while still frozen (like the store bought frozen biscuits), I have thawed then baked. In both cases, the biscuits did not rise and would not brown. My recipe is 9oz AP flour, 1Tbl baking pwdr, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 4 Tbl Crisco, 3Tbl cubed butter, 1 cup buttermilk and when this dough is fresh, it rises like a champ. Anyone know what the secret is for good biscuit dough to freeze?

Vendor Sponsor

YES!! Roll it out after thawing and call it Pizza Dough!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

My Mom used to do that. It never worked. When you mix the water in with the self rising ingredients, it rises. If you wait a while it doesn't. Best to make smaller batches.

Boolit Buddy
    I have frozen my sourdough biscuits prior to baking. While they’re nowhere near as good as fresh they are still quite good. I can post up the recipe if interested. Reminds me, I need to make a fresh starter…

Boolit Master

I go ahead and bake mine, just not till brown. Then I just brown them as I need them in the toaster oven.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Try adding bacon fat instead of Crisco. Not sure is it will improve them after freezing, but fresh, they are great.
    You may try yeast instead of baking powder and wait for them to thaw and they rise.

Boolit Grand Master

Find a recipe that does not use self-rising ingredients. Or mix up your own biscuit dry mix and use that instead of freezing.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

yea, I've got a yeast biscuit recipe that I make for holiday dinners that is fantastic! They are more like a roll tho. Store bought frozen biscuits rise well in the oven so there's something we don't know. The one thing I do know is the way I'm presently doing it don't work!

Boolit Master

If you mean the biscuits in the break open can, those aren't actually frozen, just refrigerated. Never seen frozen biscuits, have to look next time I go to the store.

Boolit Buddy

Pillsbury does offer a froozen bisquit. Tried them because did not want 8 biscuits every time. Individual but looked small. Cooked up pretty well GW

Boolit Grand Master

Mom kept the dry mix made up in the cupboard and added the wet ingredients when she made them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    If you mean the biscuits in the break open can, those aren't actually frozen, just refrigerated. Never seen frozen biscuits, have to look next time I go to the store.
    Pilsbury makes several virieties of frozen biscuits , they come in a zip-lok bag ... Grands - Buttermilk , Southern Style , Honey Butter , Butter Tastin . They may be partialy baked but if placed close together will rise more up than out .
    They may not taste like fresh made and baked ...but they taste pretty good , better than I can make and much cleaner kitchen when I get done .
    I'm not sure what the secrete to frozen biscuits is . They don't appear to be pre-baked just white hocky puck you place on the baking sheet to brown .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I was specifically referring to the Pillsbury brand. Like GW said, they don't appear to be parbaked at all. They look like hockey pucks, but if touching on the pan while cooking, they rise well. They taste pretty good too!-- not as good as mine

Boolit Master

Here’s a better recipe I think…
    grate frozen stick of unsalted butter into 2 cups soft southern (like white lily) self rising flour into cold bowl. Incorporate with finger tips into flour.
    fold in 1 cup ice cold buttermilk and stir into flour. DON’T OVERWORK!!
    Let mixture set in freezer for 10 minutes then turn out and roll to about 1 in, use biscuit cutter on dough.
    Cook what you need in preheated 400* oven on middle rack. Put unused biscuits on sheet pan and put in freezer until firm, then bag ‘em in ziplock bag and back into freezer.
    To cook frozen biscuits preheat oven and put frozen biscuits touching in oven (about 15-20 minutes)

Yes, everything needs to be COLD! Flour, bowl, butter and buttermilk. Work quickly! Whole thing takes 15 minutes plus cooking.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Biscuits are super fast to make, why not just downsize the recipe? Or even halve it and have next days breakfast? Slice them in half and fry in butter. I can't eat them any longer but I remember how to do it.

Or make Bannock. I think I posted the recipe here. I have made Bannock for one, but I never do because the wife always wants some when I make it, so I always make for 2.

You could also make a premix using Bakewell Cream and add the baking soda , mix the dry ingredients, and right before mixing in the wet. That would work 100% guaranteed! Bakewell Cream is a New England thing but it can be ordered and it never loses it's potency.

BTW, check the sodium in the break the tube type biscuits. They are definitely not on a low sodium diet if that means anything.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master

could you make the dough with regular flour and ingredients freeze then when wanted thaw and add yeast let rise and cook

I don't care about your preferred recipe. I have a couple of observations:

1. If you are making biscuits are they cut biscuits or drop?
    a. If cut use a mix either made by yourself or by a manufacturer that only requires water or milk. Use a small bowl and mix as much as you need. Cut, place on a sheet pan, and bake.
    b. If drop it's the same but less mess.

2. I regularly use a Marie Callendar cornbread mix that requires only the addition of water. I have figured the quantities out so Wife and I wind up with either 2 or 3 muffins in paper cups. She likes the corn muffins better than biscuits. We like the kind with honey in them.

3. Restaurants often use pre-baked frozen biscuits. You can do the same. Bake until done and pick off a couple to warm with breakfast.

Jim

Boolit Master

I make cut biscuits, I know not to over work etc. Been making them for 20 years, family loves them. Refer to post #8 for my conundrum. As far as reducing the recipe, you can't make a scratch biscuit recipe for 4 biscuits.

Boolit Master
    freezing bread or biscuits, cake, whatever, seems to work best if they are frozen after baking.
    now after reading all this its time to thaw out another package of that venison sausage and get biscuits made for breakfasts this weekend.

Boolit Master
    If your biscuit dough uses stuff like baking soda or baking powder (or bisquick) they rise because the baking soda reacts chemically with water and forms carbon dioxide bubbles. Freezer temps do not stop that chemical reaction-- so you lose all the rise in the freezer. On the other hand, if you are using yeast dough the action of the yeast is slowed down by freezing, so it lasts months.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast