Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: DAR gen3

Boolit Buddy

DAR gen3

DAR gen 3, now in stock, 25cal on the way, price increase as expected, some new features.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, a 33% price increase over last year. Glad I got mine when I did. Still a decent buy IMO but not as decent...LOL

Looking forward to your report after you have shot it a bit. Not sure how experienced you are with these guns, but I found mine needed a good cleaning using Balistol and about 200 rounds to start shooting well.

.25 should make a great squirrel and pest gun.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Yep they need a good cleaning before any shots are fired, clean with a pull through plastic device, and yes balistol.

If I’m having a good day 1/2” at 50yds Is possible with the 22 cal
    Last edited by crappie-hunter; 03-31-2022 at 03:45 PM.

Looking forward to reports. Now that I've stepped in it.... the DAR is one I'm looking at for the next one but will stay with .22

Pictures Please? I have no idea what these guns look like.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Google DAR gen 3 and you will get a better description than a pic that can be posted.

My 25cal arrived yesterday late afternoon ,all I’ve had a chance to do was open the box, first impression was that it seem lighter in weight that the gen 2, however a scope is going to add additional weight, scope mounting and bore cleaning is on todays agenda, maybe some shooting to get scope dialed in.

Boolit Master
    Ya the price increase is driving me off. I plan on waiting a few weeks for the JTS release. Cheaper and better built with real metal mags.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Update on gen3 25cal, after a thorough bore cleaning with wipe out and ballistoil have at least 200 JSB king’s 25 gr pellets down the bore.
    Results thus far are disappointing, accuracy not even close to what the gen2 22 will do. Between 2500 psi and 2000psi this one strings vertically sometimes as much as 3”, all shooting was done from rest at 30yds, between 2000psi and 1000psi groups settle in at around 1-1/4, have only shot this one type of pellet so far more to come, but jsb’s are usually pretty good.
    I have reached out to DAR for some feed back on this issue , no response yet, I’ll give them a week. My guess is that they make no accuracy claims and if the gun functions properly it will be up to me to tune some how to make the gun accuracy acceptable.
    I know absolutely nothing about how to tune a PCP air rifle, or if there are any adjustments to be made on a DAR? Not ready to give up yet, just disappointed , the gen2 22cal was dead on and was perfect right out of the box.

Will update after DAR has a chance to respond.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is not acceptable and it must be very frustrating. Let DAR know you are posting this here and others ar e watching and following.

As to tuning, I would go to tghe forum Gateway to Airguns for advice. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks there.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    That is not acceptable and it must be very frustrating. Let DAR know you are posting this here and others ar e watching and following.

As to tuning, I would go to tghe forum Gateway to Airguns for advice. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks there.
    Good advice. Even send them a link here. I know a lot of folks, including me, watch these threads in anticipation of buying one. Good luck.

Boolit Master

And I was just about to recommend a DAR to a new airgunner.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Problem has been found. I reached out to the folks at GTA, GATEWAY TO AIRGUNS FORUM, the resident, fanboy for DAR rifles responded with possible causes, one was the barrel nut at the muzzle that holds the barrel shroud in place could be clipping the pellets, so this morning I inspected the muzzle and sure enough there was in my opinion significant lead smear in the muzzle. Something that was recommended to try was remove this nut which will not void the warranty and shoot the gun and see if the problem goes away. Well, we’ll, well, success problem found. 1 ten shot group at 30 yds was 1 ragged hole about size of your thumb nail, now going to call DAR and ask if I can hone this or drill the hole larger w/o voiding the warranty, or will they send me a new nut, or must the gun be returned?

Answer will be posted .

Called DAR , loosen barrel band nut and make sure barrel band is verticle plumb with receiver as close as you can get by eyeballing, ok to enlarge hole in shroud nut, will not void warranty. Now to tweet and test.
    Last edited by crappie-hunter; 04-11-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good to hear it was that simple!

I have been happy with my Gen II in .22. Keep us updated please.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Another problem has surfaced. After the gun is not shot for a period of time , overnight ,the first shot of the new shooting session the next day is several inches low of the zero that was shot the previous day, then progressive moves up about 1/2 “ per shot for 4 to 5 shots before returning to the previous zero, after that the group is one ragged hole. Can’t have a hunting gun that does hold zero over night!!.

Called DAR, explained the situation, tech guy Joe, wanted to know how many pellets total had been put through the gun, told him app 250, at that point he recommended to keep shooting till at least 500 had been shot and then if condition still exists call back, may be a faulty regulator that just needs more use?

I sure hope this gun does not have to be returned, accuracy after it returns to zero I believe at this point is better than the 22 gen2.

Guys at GTA forums seem to think the regulators on these guns are bullet proof?.
    Last edited by crappie-hunter; 04-15-2022 at 10:21 AM. Reason: More info

Sounds just like what I'm dealing with on the Umarex Origin except it doesn't quite get back to the previous zero.
    I know my barrel and shroud are not stable enough, Just leaning it against a wall or tree will change POI.
    After a few shots it settles in and shoots quite tight little groups but the constant re-zeroing isn't pleasant

Boolit Master
    Mine went the other way. My reg is jumping past its set point on my air venturi avenger. I have it set to 1700 and now it just runs up to 4100 once I fill the gun. I have called Air Venturi / PA same place and ask them to ship me a regulator. If they dont I will return the gun. I can not get to zero since I have way to much psi.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Hope you get that resolved quickly OR. My venture into the PCPs is a mixed bag. Capable of good accuracy and absolutely more power.
    But..... If I can't get it to hold zero it's useless as anything but a target rifle.
    Reading the Avenger suffers the same issue. One the guys from GTA has lent me a barrel band to see if it helps. He says it did for his

Boolit Buddy
    If this wind ever calms down, I’ll shoot the 25 through the chronograph and see if there is any extreme velocity variance, may shed some light on the problem?