RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasifier = running a generator from wood smoke?

Gasifier = running a generator from wood smoke?

I ran across this video on youtube and never heard of the idea that you can power a engine from the exhaust of a wood stove. The guy in this video does a good job of explaining how it works. The wood burning part is inverted, he removes the heat from the smoke and what comes out the "chimney" is a clear burning gas (vapor?) that he feeds to a generator. He runs a skill saw off the generator powered by a wood stove.

https://youtu.be/a6e3CprVTi8

So what's going on here? LOL what kind of magic is this. I grew up in a house that had a woodstove in the basement and the chimney never blew up
    Last edited by pmer; 03-31-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Wood and other things that burn often burn incompletely. Leaving some combustibles going up the chimney with the smoke.

The problem from my point of view is keeping enough flow of the right stuff to keep a generator running. Short bursts, sure. Longer periods it gets harder.

The good news is that a Methane digester turning kitchen garbage and yard waste into methane can help.

If it was me, and I was looking to power a generator long term I'd be looking at steam of one sort or another.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    there's a guy out near ashville built a place called turtle island or something like that that runs his pickup truck with a gassifier. they even showed it on that mountain man show

Boolit Buddy
    In WW II the Germans used a lot of wood gas vehicles due to fuel shortages.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas
    Definitely not a new technology.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    there's a guy out near ashville built a place called turtle island or something like that that runs his pickup truck with a gassifier. they even showed it on that mountain man show
    Eustace on Mountain Men ran his truck using a gassifier. Lot of videos out there. Believe they call it pyrolosis. There are also videos of using a similar chamber to reduce plastics to diesel fuel. There is a video of a guy on an island, with a very basic set-up, taking the plastic trash that washes up and converting to diesel which runs neighbors generators and such. Been watching those videos for awhile and plan on trying something this summer. To much going on now.

Does this process have any similarity to a whiskey still?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Plastic to diesel sounds like a possible real “cure” for a major problem, plastics in land fills, in the water and scattered across the landscape.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Eustace on Mountain Men ran his truck using a gassifier. Lot of videos out there. Believe they call it pyrolosis. There are also videos of using a similar chamber to reduce plastics to diesel fuel. There is a video of a guy on an island, with a very basic set-up, taking the plastic trash that washes up and converting to diesel which runs neighbors generators and such. Been watching those videos for awhile and plan on trying something this summer. To much going on now.
    the guy on the island looks like he is enjoying a great life well lived, saw that video a while back

As we're about to find out, one of the big problems in this world is the cost of getting the right stuff to the right place -- where it is needed.

You might create the coolest process for turning garbage into a valuable fuel, but you have to bring mountains of garbage to your processor; and that takes great quantities of valuable fuel. Can you say conundrum? jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Does this process have any similarity to a whiskey still?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Plastic to diesel sounds like a possible real “cure” for a major problem, plastics in land fills, in the water and scattered across the landscape.
    Pretty much like a still, Guy uses drift wood, It's more like a pressure cooker crammed and packed full of plastic waste.

Boolit Master
    One ready source of fuel oil is used tyres......tyres contain something like 20-30% of oil,which can be recovered by heating..........unfortunately ,a bad smell is also produced ,that has shut down near every oil recovery plant.

Had thoughts of a methane digester to run a stationary generator many years ago but never got beyond the research stage. Now I have a generac.

Moderator Emeritus

A wood gassifier works by starving the fire of oxygen, really similar to producing charcoal

Boolit Grand Master
    Most videos do not show the downside of gassifiers. Do what you turns your crank. I will stay with gas, diesel and propane.

https://peakprosperity.com/wood-gasi...f39b703174cf78
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

So how come we're not driving Pellet Powered Cars !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Several countries used vehicles that ran on the fumes from wood and or coal fires in WW 2. While ot can be done in the weather you need a generator going out to fire a burner or stoke it might be nasty. I also think there might be some "lead" time involved between when the burner is fired and the generator can be started.

Boolit Master
    They built a car on Monster Garage on Discovery that used the process and there was a good primer on how the system works if you can get past the over the top presentation style.

I first read about it years ago in a story of a family escaping the Nazi invasion of their country, the storyteller was a child at the time and remembered the adults looking for wood to power the bus/truck they were in.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    So how come we're not driving Pellet Powered Cars !
    We feel like we need to travel over 20 MPH. Add to that many States requiring an inspection.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The biggest hurdle for commercialization is the mountain of government regulations, licenses, taxes, etc. Long ago FEMA published a brochure on how to build gasifiers to run generators in emergencies. But that was before the bureaucrats took total control.

Boolit Bub
    Wood gas is a by product of making charcoal . Set up a 3.5 HP motor with an alternater to charge your batteries . The problem is removing the tar , this will freeze your valves solid if not cleaned before it cools .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast